Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does Hopkins stand?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B-Hop is a *****...he doesn't go up in weight he jsut fights lil guys.

Comment

Les Darcy name should be thrown in with the lists of all time great fighters. He was a young Australian who had beaten the best men at his weight when he was just in his teens and these were tough, mature fighters who represented a serious threat to any defending champion. He died tragically so young at 21. He was one of the strongest middleweight fighters ever bull necked, muscular, well disciplined, sturdy, qucik learner and he licked the best American opposition while he was still 19, there was much potential to become on of the elite.

Comment

Originally posted by nezahualcoyotl
        Hopkins is 40. Why should he move up?

Comment

Originally posted by nezahualcoyotl

You just hate the guy brother . . . he just fights li'l guys? That's a DAMN STUPID OPINION . . . he'll fight anybody who comes in into his DOMAIN and that's the Middle Weight Division. He doesn't move up in weight? For what? The guy knows where he stand . . . he is realistic and he knows his limitations. He knows he is not SUPERMAN just like what Roy Jones is trying to prove . . . now do you see the disastrous result? Jones just lost by two consecutive K.O.s . . . if BH is a ***** then do you think De La Hoya is better or Greater?

Comment

A figher can prove his greatness at one particular weight class. IMO, there is no need to move up or down in weight as long as he has 1.) fought/beat quality opposition 2.) dominated the division. Those are the two qualities that make up greatness in my mind, with an stronger emphasis on quality of opposition.

With that said, i do think a fighter moving up in weight class and having success does elevate greatness.

Compare a fighter that has dominated one division to a fighter that has dominated two division. Now, one would clearly give the nod to the two division fighter. As far as comparing DLH-Hopkins, though Oscar fought in numerous weight divisions, he didn't dominate or rule one particular division. I weigh Hopkins' continued dominance of one division more than DLH's smaller but still great achievements in numerous weight classes.

Comment

ketchel, come on now??????

Hey, hey, no one can talk **** about Ketchel, he proved himself in his very short, tough life. Ketchel was probably the
              only all time great who never had an amateur career or any kind of coaching. He learned how to fight at 14, fighting grown men for food as a hobo in the 1890's, turned pro at sixteen, by 23 he was the middleweight champ, AND, he knocked out "Philadephia " Jack O'Brien ( the then light heavyweight champ ) twice and was never credited with the dual championship.

Comment

lamotta was tough, not good

dont forget about bob fitzsimmons too

Comment

Originally posted by techn9ne
                  lamotta was tough, not good
                  LaMotta wasn't good? I suppose Sugar Ray Robinson wasn't any good either since Jake gave him absolute hell in every single one of their fights.

Comment

cple, man, i just read your post about Harry " the human windmill " Greb, and it warms my black heart to see someone giving Greb the respect he deserves. He's the only man to beat Gene Tunney, and not only did he beat him, he put him in hospital for a week

Comment

Originally posted by jose
                      Hopkins has 19 defense. Its the era he fights in that makes it impossible to unify and when you do unify you can hold on to them unless you fight nothing but madatories. Don King would not let Hopkins anywhere near Joppy or Holmes until Hopkins signed with King.
                      so what? take a look at hagler's record and take a look at how long HE was not let anywhere near the champ (monzon and following).

their defenses have a different value.

Comment

Working...
                      X