No announcement yet.

Good but short retrospective on Jimmy Bivins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good but short retrospective on Jimmy Bivins

I'm sure plenty of y'all know how good and underrated, or probably rather under exposed Bivins is. This was nice to see.

He liked to throw looping shots from the looks of it.

Comment

Read up on him a year or so ago amazing career.Fought everybody Louis Charles Moore.He beat Charles badly in one of their many fights.He had an unbeatable streak of 30 fights or so but couldn’t get a tittle shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstruck View Post
        Read up on him a year or so ago amazing career.Fought everybody Louis Charles Moore.He beat Charles badly in one of their many fights.He had an unbeatable streak of 30 fights or so but couldn’t get a tittle shot.
        - -WW2, ever hear of it?

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
          - -WW2, ever hear of it?
          Go fuukk off you idiot he was a fighter that was dodged for many years at 175 and heavyweight.Your a ******** idiot with your trolling.You and that Charleston st ****** elf panda need to get together and exchange ball soup recipes.

Comment

Bivins although short ( 5'9" tall ) has it long arms ( 76" reach ) and skills.

At bis best he won 27 fights in a row. He was ranked #1 in the world in 1942 and 1943, but never got a title shot from Joe Louis when he was on top.

Comment

joe louis would have been too much for bivins in their prime since he defeated him even when he was shot. on the other hand bivins defeated light heavyweight champion lesnevich but it wasn't a title fight. that there was bivins' chance to become a champion. ww2 affected many careers. it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstruck View Post
                Go fuukk off you idiot he was a fighter that was dodged for many years at 175 and heavyweight.Your a ******** idiot with your trolling.You and that Charleston st ****** elf panda need to get together and exchange ball soup recipes.
                - -Oh, Luverly, a Pottyboy boxing expert, a new genetic experiment.

Louis title frozen for ww2:

https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/T...yweight--1940s

I don't see jimmy ranked anywhere else.

When they fought, Louis the older whooped him. Not much else to say other than the one belt, one champion camp ignore that multi belts open up their divisions with prospects for unification, or not as Deyonce recently demonstrated.

Comment

Originally posted by drablj View Post
                  joe louis would have been too much for bivins in their prime since he defeated him even when he was shot. on the other hand bivins defeated light heavyweight champion lesnevich but it wasn't a title fight. that there was bivins' chance to become a champion. ww2 affected many careers. it is what it is.
                  Primes differ. At Jimmy's best he could have out boxed Louis as other did during these times ( Conn, Walcott ), leaving it up to Louis to land the bomb. Maybe he lands it, maybe he doesn't. Jimmy had a defensive style.

Louis didn't fight #1 Ring ****zine ranked Elmer Ray ( Another African American ) either leaving just 2 of his 26 title defenses vs. African Americans. Men like Franklin, or Thompson deserved a shot over some of the bum of the month types. Somehow history forgets this.

Of the two African Americans Louis did give Title defenses to, one could hardly see ( Light heavyweight John Henry Lewis ) and got the fight as a favor from Joe Louis. The other likely beat him on points in the first fight and was well ahead on points in the second fight until show boating and getting caught late in Joe Walcott.
                  Last edited by Dr. Z; 12-29-2020, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Z View Post
                    Primes differ. At Jimmy's best he could have out boxed Louis as other did during these times ( Conn, Walcott ), leaving it up to Louis to land the bomb. Maybe he lands it, maybe he doesn't. Jimmy had a defensive style.
                    i agree. i would pick louis but both had chances to win.

Originally posted by Dr. Z View Post
                    Louis didn't fight #1 Ring ****zine ranked Elmer Ray ( Another African American ) either leaving just 2 of his 26 title defenses vs. African Americans. Men like Franklin, or Thompson deserved a shot over some of the bum of the month types. Somehow history forgets this.

Of the two African Americans Louis did give Title defenses to, one could hardly see ( Light heavyweight John Henry Lewis ) and got the fight as a favor from Joe Louis. The other likely beat him on points in the first fight and was well ahead on points in the second fight until show boating and getting caught late in Joe Walcott.
                    i don't blame louis for this. as i said earlier, ww2 affected many careers. bivins did not deserve a shot (i don't say some others actually did) before title fights were stopped in 1942. there was no bum of the month club after the war. top contenders in 1945. were conn and mauriello. those two were louis' first defenses after the war. after them top 2 were walcott and elmer ray. i wholeheartedly support picking walcott. louis was an active champion, something which i find VERY important. it's unfortunate that some other fighters didn't get a shot but nobody can fight everybody every year.

i looked closely at bivins' record and found out that he lost to christoforidis in 1940, who only one month later boxed for the vacant light heavyweight title. then came aforementioned win over champ lesnevich in non-title fight. bivins had the worst luck and timing...

Comment

Working...
                    X