Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Marvin Hagler take heavyweight punches?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
    What if Hagler weighed more/bulked up to 200 or more?
    - -U gonna roid up Marv?

Dummy topic since Marv never ventured past middle, but can crushers gonna dummy up everything regardless.

Comment

We can go back in time and see MW's facing HW's without getting knocked out/or knocked out. One of the last examples I can think of is Stanley Ketchel who had a pretty good chin @ MW. And then got iced by Jack Johnson who decided to hit him with his hardest punch(and he wasn't a powerful puncher).
      Last edited by BKM-; 10-05-2020, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Hagler was obviously a Middleweight reigning a top the division for many years. What would taking a punch from a Heavyweight matter at all, he never fought at Heavyweight. He was great and that's all that there is to it

James Toney was able to step up from being a Middleweight and progress up to taking the Heavyweight title from Holyfield. I don't think that Hagler could beat the Heavyweight elites though. James did it with handspeed and excellent defense and head movement. Hagler did not fight that way. While he could box very well you just never saw the defense nor the head movement that you saw from Toney.
        Styles make fights and Hagler never displayed a style that could over take the Heavyweight elites. Hagler was AWSOME though, fighting where he belonged. That being in the Middleweight division........Rockin'
        Last edited by Rockin'; 10-05-2020, 12:57 PM.

Comment

It's doubtful he could even take LIGHT Heavyweight punches, since... ya know... he never even ventured into that division.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
            Hagler was obviously a Middleweight reigning a top the division for many years. What would taking a punch from a Heavyweight matter at all, he never fought at Heavyweight. He was great and that's all that there is to it
            It is literally the name of the thread.

James Toney was able to step up from being a Middleweight and progress up to taking the Heavyweight title from Holyfield. I don't think that Hagler could beat the Heavyweight elites though. James did it with handspeed and excellent defense and head movement. Hagler did not fight that way. While he could box very well you just never saw the defense nor the head movement that you saw from Toney.
            Styles make fights and Hagler never displayed a style that could over take the Heavyweight elites. Hagler was AWSOME though, fighting where he belonged. That being in the Middleweight division........Rockin'
            Toney could take a pretty good punch. he was fast.
            and very skillful.

But their is no way he accomplishes most of what he did.
            without drugs.

he even manged to lose more than a few fights whilst probably steroiding out of his mind.

Maybe if hagler pumped himself with steroids then maybe he to could have been taking punches from heavyweights?

Comment

- -Rockin', a roided Toney KOed Field, but not for a title.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                - -Rockin', a roided Toney KOed Field, but not for a title.
                I never saw anything nor was ever told anything 'bout nothin'.

James was atmospheres past Ty Fields. Size becomes meaningless once you factor in the true skill levels.

in my eyes, James did great.........Rockin'
                Last edited by Rockin'; 10-05-2020, 08:42 PM.

Comment

No, he was just built for the middleweight division.

Comment

We definitely couldn't rule it out, in fact I'd say yes personally. I was watching Chris Byrd's podcast where he was talking about himself, purposefully adding weight (40+lbs) after making his pro debut (at 160) to be a heavyweight because he couldn't get any meaningful fights in his own class. We definitely seen how good of a chin Byrd had against some of the biggest hitters. James Toney started at middleweight and didn't have any problems taking heavyweight bombs either. Not to mention Bob Fitzsimmons, Floyd Patterson (started his career a few lbs. above middleweight) etc. Hagler had one of the best chins the game has ever seen.

Comment

Toney took shots from evander. I guess a bulked up marvin could too.

Comment

Working...
                      X