Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Marvin Hagler win a fight you think he should not have?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
    He never got a close one in his favor but had a few that went against him that he deserved. Marquez was another one like that too.
    Those two were too vocal about it. I actually think they would have had more fans if they took defeat more gracefully.

Comment

Whenever anyone starts talking how Marvin beat Leonard, I get a good laugh and stop taking them seriously. Loved Marvin. He lost.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
        Whenever anyone starts talking how Marvin beat Leonard, I get a good laugh and stop taking them seriously. Loved Marvin. He lost.
        I agree. What makes me laugh the most though, is when they start talking about how Hagler wasn't at his best and make excuses, completely neglecting the fact that Leonard himself was far worse off at that point in his career.

Comment

--- Yeah, Ray so fargone he promptly retired, sorta, to avoid the big $ rematch.

Everyone knew way Marvs record was in rematches.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
            I agree. What makes me laugh the most though, is when they start talking about how Hagler wasn't at his best and make excuses, completely neglecting the fact that Leonard himself was far worse off at that point in his career.
            Leonard was by far the younger and fresher guy. The detached retina was 5 years prior and that's an injury that, once healed, has no additional increase of re-injury. Or as stated by the docs, "We know that once the retina is successfully reattached, the risk (of a subsequent detachment) is the same as the other eye," said Serge de Bustros, a physician and acting director of the vitro-retinal surgical service at Johns Hopkins University's Wilmer Eye Institute. "He has the same risk as any other boxer." In short, the retina was a non-factor and Leonard had boxed since the original surgery.

As for the rest, Leonard was 2 years younger and had far fewer miles. Marvin had 66 fights up to that point, Leonard had about half that with 34. So the only way someone can make the claim that Leonard was "worse off" was that he should have had some ring rust. But in every other respect Marvin, especially coming off that war with Mugabi, was the guy who was worse off.

Comment

Admittedly I've not seen a great number of Hagler fights. Maybe 10ish. So I can't comment with much authority on all his W's, but I can see how one could say he shoulda won some or all of his losses & draws of which I think I've seen all of or all but 1 iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by Granath View Post
                Leonard was by far the younger and fresher guy. The detached retina was 5 years prior and that's an injury that, once healed, has no additional increase of re-injury. Or as stated by the docs, "We know that once the retina is successfully reattached, the risk (of a subsequent detachment) is the same as the other eye," said Serge de Bustros, a physician and acting director of the vitro-retinal surgical service at Johns Hopkins University's Wilmer Eye Institute. "He has the same risk as any other boxer." In short, the retina was a non-factor and Leonard had boxed since the original surgery.

As for the rest, Leonard was 2 years younger and had far fewer miles. Marvin had 66 fights up to that point, Leonard had about half that with 34. So the only way someone can make the claim that Leonard was "worse off" was that he should have had some ring rust. But in every other respect Marvin, especially coming off that war with Mugabi, was the guy who was worse off.

SOME ring rust? You mean Leonard had literally not fought in 3 years and only had one fight in 5 years prior to facing Hagler.

That's half a decade from age 26 to 31 for a fighter who relied on athleticsm for his style and you forgot to mention something else in your post didn't you? All the drugs and booz Leonard got addicted to during his hiatus. He wasn't exactly a good boy biding his time to heal during his layoff, he was further destroying his health instead.

And about that detached retina you tried to write off as no big deal, you're aware that Leonard had another surgery in 84 to further fix that eye right? It postponed his match against the great Kevin Howard. Who btw, knocked Leonard on his ass in round 4 being the first man to do so. It prompted another retirement. But no no, Leonard was totally fine and still at his best.

Compared to Hagler who was an active, dominant champion. Yeah no, what I saw was him destroying Mugabe. He never got hurt in that fight and rolled with the shots, to act like that fight ruined his abilities is dishonest as well. There really is no comparison between who was worse off.

After all these years Hagler fans can still trigger me, damn they're good at their nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
                  SOME ring rust? You mean Leonard had literally not fought in 3 years and only had one fight in 5 years prior to facing Hagler.

That's half a decade from age 26 to 31 for a fighter who relied on athleticsm for his style and you forgot to mention something else in your post didn't you? All the drugs and booz Leonard got addicted to during his hiatus. He wasn't exactly a good boy biding his time to heal during his layoff, he was further destroying his health instead.

And about that detached retina you tried to write off as no big deal, you're aware that Leonard had another surgery in 84 to further fix that eye right? It postponed his match against the great Kevin Howard. Who btw, knocked Leonard on his ass in round 4 being the first man to do so. It prompted another retirement. But no no, Leonard was totally fine and still at his best.

Compared to Hagler who was an active, dominant champion. Yeah no, what I saw was him destroying Mugabe. He never got hurt in that fight and rolled with the shots, to act like that fight ruined his abilities is dishonest as well. There really is no comparison between who was worse off.

After all these years Hagler fans can still trigger me, damn they're good at their nonsense.
                  --- Ahhh, boxing fans, the last refuge for the destitute and moraly bankrupt.

Ray engaged in a full year of strenuous, private training just for Marv. That included literally at least a half dozen private fights of varied styles and sizes.

For a single fight.

No surprise to see a grade AAA+ shape shifter pull the wool over his bleating herds of dewy eyed fans.

Comment

Not a single one.

Comment

Originally posted by Granath View Post

Soooo Hagler agreed to the terms of the fight w/ Leonard, yes or no? Hagler also fought that fight under his own volition, yes or no?

All the excuses made for hagler are laughable. yes, hagler was a better Mw, but Leonard was a better man that night.

P4P Leonard is a much greater fighter than hagler. I'd say the same of Hearns. Obviously Duran, is in the stratosphere above them all.

As for the OP: The Antuformo fight could have gone either way.

Comment

Working...
                      X