Assault in the Ring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
    zinger...
    Came to think about Al Singer, realizing I don’t know much about him.
    And not much info to be found on the net.

He passed away in 1961. Some sources say it was because of a heart attack, some that he was killed in a bar fight. (Perhaps both versions are true, did the bar fight cause a heart attack?)

On youtube, I can only find him being beaten up.

Comment

The New York Times wrote up a nice obit (a revisit of his career) but made no mention of cause of death.

https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/tim...?pageNumber=33

Comment

I just want to throw this out there -- looking at Al Singer's record I digressed to Mandell to Berg to Canzoneri to Kid Chocolate.

Somebody forgot to tell Kid Chocolate that you are suppose to fade and look horrible at the end of your career. Kid Chocolate didn't get that memo going 18-0-2 in his last 20 fights. An 11 year career with 140 plus fights and the guy wouldn't fade.

136-10-6 amazing

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
          The New York Times wrote up a nice obit (a revisit of his career) but made no mention of cause of death.

https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/tim...?pageNumber=33
          Unfortunately, I can’t read the article. Just a few years ago, a lot of press archive sites were open for free.
          Wanting to now more about old fighters, they were gold mines. Today, almost everyone of these sites seem to have a paywall. Well, it’s understandable. I used to wonder how the dailies would survive when everything was free.

looking at Al Singer's record I digressed to Mandell to Berg to Canzoneri to Kid Chocolate.
          Checking out one fighter on boxrec, in my case it often leads to me being stuck there for an hour or two. And you forget what boxer brought you to the site in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
            Unfortunately, I can’t read the article. Just a few years ago, a lot of press archive sites were open for free.
            Wanting to now more about old fighters, they were gold mines. Today, almost everyone of these sites seem to have a paywall. Well, it’s understandable. I used to wonder how the dailies would survive when everything was free.

Checking out one fighter on boxrec, in my case it often leads to me being stuck there for an hour or two. And you forget what boxer brought you to the site in the first place.

Comment

Comment

Thumbs up!

By coincidence, there was a documentary on telly yesterday about cotton field workers in the 1930-40s I watched. Helluva work, the working class getting really exploited. I can definitely understand, young men of that time preferred to try their luck between the ropes instead.

Noticed in 1930, when Singer won the World lightweight title, he fought 8 times. Guys like him must have considered today’s boxing scene a heaven, defending an alphabet belt once or twice a year, and moreover, making a lot of money of it.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
                  This is one of boxing's darkest story's...a 1983 boxing match that took place between undefeated prospect Billy Collins Jr. and Luis Resto.

The fight was on the undercard for a bout between Roberto Durán and Davey Moore. Resto unexpectedly beat the highly touted Collins in a 10-round unanimous decision; however, after the fight, Resto's gloves were found to be missing a significant amount of padding, an illegal tampering which allowed Resto to increase his punches' effectiveness against Collins during the fight and cause tremendous damage. What began as a boxing match turned into a life altering moment for both participants - Resto and his trainer Panama Lewis landed in prison for their illegal actions.

Great documentary I remember watching it when it first came out.Very sad and tragic story.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mouzone View Post
                    Great documentary I remember watching it when it first came out.Very sad and tragic story.
                    Screenname reminded me that I have to rewatch the wire.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                      Screenname reminded me that I have to rewatch the wire.
                      Never a bad time to binge watch the Wire one of the greatest shows ever created IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                      X