Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Tyson had come back like Ali would he have been the undisputed GOAT?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
    In 1996 many boxing fans took the view that it was a subpar Tyson that met Douglas back in 1990. Honestly, next to no one thought Holyfield would beat Tyson. Holyfield had been stopped the previous year by Bowe after fading alarmingly in that fight and the memory of the very sluggish Moorer performance and the heart complaint was still fresh in mind.

Only one ringside pundit (Ron Borges) predicted a Holyfield win. So if you did too; well done. But I didn't know a single soul who expected anything other than a Tyson win.

As for Tyson vs Lewis. Tyson was so far post prime and above his best fight weight too. Short of a lucky punch, Tyson wasn't going to win.
    I was in Tokyo in 1990 when Douglas got his long count and beat Tyson. I knew a lot of sluts then, and know some knew ones now.
    Tyson was ****ing the **** outta Japanese wimmin, he wasn’t training much, but he was clubbing and pounding poon.

He wasn’t in his right mind when Douglas beat him.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
      I was in Tokyo in 1990 when Douglas got his long count and beat Tyson. I knew a lot of sluts then, and know some knew ones now.
      Tyson was ****ing the **** outta Japanese wimmin, he wasn’t training much, but he was clubbing and pounding poon.

I seem to recall a scene in the Michael J White Tyson film (which is pretty good) which alludes to this as well.

Full credit to Douglas, he boxed beautifully and showed heart in getting up from a very nasty uppercut. But that version of Mike bore no comparison (technical or otherwise) to the guy who met Berbick, Holmes, Biggs or Spinks.

Fair play to Tyson, he looked pretty sharp again against Tilman, Stewart and Ruddock after Douglas. His technical skills had slipped, but his pace and conditioning indicated that his passion had returned.

Comment

I was in New York when he fought there. I knew sluts too. Do you have some 10th hand information?

I would say Tyson was in his natural mind. He was in his unnatural mind when his mind was right for boxing. That was the unnatural mind for Tyson. When his mind was right for boxing was very unnatural for him. It took a D'Amato to keep that mind unnatural, and even he could not maintain it 100% of the time. Atlas and Rooney had to fail in their respective turns, as Tyson's mind reverted to normal ineluctably, especially after Cus's death.

Comment

I seem to recall a scene in the Michael J White Tyson film (which is pretty good) which alludes to this as well.

Full credit to Douglas, he boxed beautifully and showed heart in getting up from a very nasty uppercut. But that version of Mike bore no comparison (technical or otherwise) to the guy who met Berbick, Holmes, Biggs or Spinks.

Fair play to Tyson, he looked pretty sharp again against Tilman, Stewart and Ruddock after Douglas. His technical skills had slipped, but his pace and conditioning indicated that his passion had returned.
          I met a lot of people back in the day, and was clubbing at the in spots. I met Prince, Van Halen, George Benson, if people came to Tokyo, there were a few clubs everyone when to..

It was a disturbing fight. Douglas got a long count.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
            I was in New York when he fought there. I knew sluts too. Do you have some 10th hand information?

I would say Tyson was in his natural mind. He was in his unnatural mind when his mind was right for boxing. That was the unnatural mind for Tyson. When his mind was right for boxing was very unnatural for him. It took a D'Amato to keep that mind unnatural, and even he could not maintain it 100% of the time. Atlas and Rooney had to fail in their respective turns, as Tyson's mind reverted to normal ineluctably, especially after Cus's death.
            From the mouths of the chicks he was ****ing. Not 10th hand. These were the pretty toss ups. They ****ed all the stars and famous people that they could.

If people go to a few clubs in Roppongi, I’m sure they’ll see Hollywood stars in Tokyo to promote their latest films, or concerts.

Comment

I met a lot of people back in the day, and was clubbing at the in spots. I met Prince, Van Halen, George Benson, if people came to Tokyo, there were a few clubs everyone when to..

It was a disturbing fight. Douglas got a long count.
              Terrific for you to have met those legends!

Yeah, the count was long, but Tyson had looked pretty awful for most of the rounds.

But irrespective of the first count, Douglas was simply better (technically and more passionate for victory) he deserved it more that one night.

Hell, anyone can have a bad day in the office. Shame that in boxing, it can leave you knocked out!

Comment

Terrific for you to have met those legends!

Yeah, the count was long, but Tyson had looked pretty awful for most of the rounds.

But irrespective of the first count, Douglas was simply better (technically and more passionate for victory) he deserved it more that one night.

Hell, anyone can have a bad day in the office. Shame that in boxing, it can leave you knocked out!
                I met Tommy Lee Jones last year, he was doing a UCC Boss coffee commercial, and was at an event in Tokyo. Tyson wasn’t himself. Buster had his magic moment. I saw it on TV live, no PPV.
                I was numb for many hours after the ko loss.

Comment

Douglas fought a great technical fight that night. He dominated Tyson. It's a stretch to believe any Tyson beats that fighter that night.

IF Tyson came back to regain the true championship and in process showed the determination, mental toughness and will to win of an ATG against the best opposition he certainly would be ranked higher than he is today. Certainly top five.

Comment

I met Tommy Lee Jones last year, he was doing a UCC Boss coffee commercial, and was at an event in Tokyo. Tyson wasn’t himself. Buster had his magic moment. I saw it on TV live, no PPV.
                    I was numb for many hours after the ko loss.
                    Another legend!

Yep, the whole boxing world was stunned. I don't think we've seen 44:1 odds since.

Comment

Another legend!

Yep, the whole boxing world was stunned. I don't think we've seen 44:1 odds since.
                      I lost a chunk of money to my girl’s father. I paid up, and didn’t argue about the long count.

I paid 20 to 1, luckily, I didn’t bet more than ¥10,000.

I can’t believe, on and off, I’ve spent a third of my life here in japan. I put up a lot of photos. I gotta rotate some properly, but I’m too lazy now.

I usually like watching fights, my favorite fights every year or two, but I can’t watch Tyson lose to Douglas.

Comment

Working...
                      X