• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
    That reminds me of Duran-Camacho II.
    Or Camacho Leonard.

Comment

I credit Frank Bruno for succeeding in the face of some pretty overwhelming obstacles which would have sunk far better fighters without trace.

For instance - as a kid he suffered from serious abuse. Once he made it as a fighter he simultaneously was the victim of institutionalised racism and accusations that he was an "Uncle Tom".

Throw in a host of neuroses bubbling under the surface and a trainer whose methods were questionable to say the least and it's a miracle he achieved what he did.

What I will say is that Bruno possessed one of the most punishing jabs I've seen in the heavyweight division and when he sat down on his punches he really could bang with either hand.

A lot has been made of Bruno's "weak chin" but the truth is he could always take a punch. His fatal flaw was a conditioning regime which emphasised raw physical strength over endurance. This often resulting him gassing out very badly during the championship rounds.

I had him ahead in not just the Bonecrusher Smith bout but also the Witherspoon one when the tank ran dry. And when he did get tagged he lacked the skills to cover-up and play for time.

These days Bruno is considered by many to be something of a joke - especially following his internment in a psychiatric ward post-retirement when he was abandoned by those closest to him and sank into a deep depression.

But he was a much better fighter than people give credit. With the right training early on in his career he could easily have held a world title for at least half-a-dozen fights. Maybe more.

Comment

- -Is Bruno the most popular British fighter ever, or does that default to sir 'enery Cooper?

I liked both...

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
          - -Is Bruno the most popular British fighter ever, or does that default to sir 'enery Cooper?

I liked both...
          Difficult to say. When Bruno was fighting - yes. But his popularity kind of sagged thereafter. Cooper remained popular long into his retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Mugwump View Post
            I credit Frank Bruno for succeeding in the face of some pretty overwhelming obstacles which would have sunk far better fighters without trace.

For instance - as a kid he suffered from serious abuse. Once he made it as a fighter he simultaneously was the victim of institutionalised racism and accusations that he was an "Uncle Tom".

Throw in a host of neuroses bubbling under the surface and a trainer whose methods were questionable to say the least and it's a miracle he achieved what he did.

What I will say is that Bruno possessed one of the most punishing jabs I've seen in the heavyweight division and when he sat down on his punches he really could bang with either hand.

A lot has been made of Bruno's "weak chin" but the truth is he could always take a punch. His fatal flaw was a conditioning regime which emphasised raw physical strength over endurance. This often resulting him gassing out very badly during the championship rounds.

I had him ahead in not just the Bonecrusher Smith bout but also the Witherspoon one when the tank ran dry. And when he did get tagged he lacked the skills to cover-up and play for time.

These days Bruno is considered by many to be something of a joke - especially following his internment in a psychiatric ward post-retirement when he was abandoned by those closest to him and sank into a deep depression.

But he was a much better fighter than people give credit. With the right training early on in his career he could easily have held a world title for at least half-a-dozen fights. Maybe more.
            I don't think so mate. He needed that strength advantage to be as effective as he sometimes was. Take that away to trade it with endurance and he wouldn't have had his success. He wasn't meant to be a legit champion, he was in the wrong era for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mugwump View Post

Frank Bruno had good parents, and sending him off to boarding school of some sorts? He stated helped develop his character 'And kept him out of trouble'. I think his abuse as a youngster and even when he returned to his normal area as a teenager, was because of the culture during those times. Skin Heads and more overt racism on the streets etc One of the first boxing books I ever read was 'Frank Bruno' Fighting Back. And it is the greatest boxing book I have ever read, the honesty, humor, and drama of his battles within boxing and life.

Interesting to see the difference in how Frank Bruno was treated with his mental health issues in comparison to certain fighters today 'Again I won't judge anybody, but Frank Bruno was a professional through and through, but even still he was treated very badly by the media and even after battling through his issues.

I would say Frank Bruno, and Nigel Benn's books I have enjoyed most.

Those people who believe Bruno is a joke now, where never a true supporter of him in the first place.
              Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 03-16-2019, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
                I don't think so mate. He needed that strength advantage to be as effective as he sometimes was. Take that away to trade it with endurance and he wouldn't have had his success. He wasn't meant to be a legit champion, he was in the wrong era for that.
                Maybe he did need a strength advantage. But it didn't have to come at the expense of any semblance of fluidity.

More than anyone Frank reminded me of the Tin Man in The Wizard of Oz who hadn't yet gotten all of the oil into his joints. He was just so taut. You'd need half-a-dozen hairy-assed Turks with meat-tenderisers to work those knots out of his lats.

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
                  Frank Bruno had good parents, and sending him off to boarding school of some sorts?
                  Christ - there's a contradiction right there in those two clauses. Many people spend the rest of their lives attempting to get over their time spent in boarding school ...

Comment

Working...
                  X