No announcement yet.

A Peculiar Offer By Dempsey: Winner Take All vs. Wills

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
    Again it's a snippet. Many things could have been going on behind the scenes we will never know about. Consider all factors which all have been known for 90 plus years. The American culture was a powerful reason mixed race hwt championship bouts did not occur for many years past Dempsey. It took Louis in 37 to break through. That's over a decade past the time period in question.
    What could be going on behind the scenes? If there were something going on behind the scenes, wouldn't Paddy Mullins have addressed it?

The contract was valid and followed by the match maker, and Dempsey walked. It's really that simple.

And I don't think you can keep blaming this on the times. Once again, look how the crowd reacted toward Wills when he appeared in New York City, while they began to boo Dempsey!

You're fighting tooth and nail based on an excuse that is very vague, though I do admit was probably legit EARLY ON, but you are ignoring the cold hard facts when your excuse was much less of an issue and would not have been reason enough to stop this fight. The fight was there for Dempsey, and he walked.

Comment

This article tells the very well known history. Suggest everyone read it and ignore snippet speculation specifically designed to paint an erroneous picture.

http://fightfilmcollector.blogspot.c...ls-vs.html?m=1

Comment

The powers that be did not want this bout to occur. This is the reason no black man fought for the hwt championship for decades. Not a Dempsey issue. A cultural issue.

Comment

This article tells the very well known history. Suggest everyone read it and ignore snippet speculation specifically designed to paint an erroneous picture.

http://fightfilmcollector.blogspot.c...ls-vs.html?m=1
          Dude, I just told you that there was only ONE SENTENCE about the contract, and it didn't even go into it. ONE SENTENCE.

That situation deserves more than one sentence, don't you think?

Comment

The powers that be did not want this bout to occur. This is the reason no black man fought for the hwt championship for decades. Not a Dempsey issue. A cultural issue.
            Who were the powers that be?

Because there was a contract, a promoter, and a few guys who came together to finance the fight. They even began selling tickes, but DEMPSEY walked.

Wasn't it DEMPSEY that stopped this from happening by breaking the contract? If not, how can you blame that on someone else????

Comment

Again your entire purpose is to boister a pre planned conclusion. Tell everyone why you completely ignore the entire history as outlined within the article I have posted. Why are you cherry picking? I will tell you why....you are only interested in supporting your erroneous pre planned conclusion. It's called intellectual dishonesty. Start telling the full story and perhaps you can build a level of credibility.

Comment

Again your entire purpose is to boister a pre planned conclusion.
                Agenda to boister a pre planned conclusion based on facts? Am I making up facts?

Tell everyone why you completely ignore the entire history as outlined within the article I have posted.
                I haven't ignred the history outlined by the article you posted. I pointed out that the article that you posted had ONE SENTENCE regarding the contract that Dempsey signed, and it didn't even mention it as such. It only said "$300,000 was waiting for Dempsey in Chicago." THAT'S IT!

For you to claim that link gives the full story, how could it devote one sentence about something so major?

Why are you cherry picking? I will tell you why....you are only interested in supporting your erroneous pre planned conclusion. It's called intellectual dishonesty. Start telling the full story and perhaps you can build a level of credibility.
                Oh really? What is dishonest? Let's see if you will answer these questions.

1. Did Dempsey sign a contract to fight Wills?
                2. Did Dempsey break the contract to fight Wills, as decided by a US court?
                3. Was the money that was promised to Dempsey for the fight confirmed to be waiting for Dempsey?

If you answer all of those honestly, then there is really only one more question for you.

WHO CAN YOU BLAME FOR THE FIGHT NOT HAPPENING IF DEMPSEY BROKE A VALID CONTRACT AND LEFT MONEY ON THE TABLE?????? WHO? NAME THEM?

He said no promoter would promote it, but that was proven to be FALSE.

He claimed they didn't come up with the money, that was proven to be FALSE.

Tell me, where are the lies in my statement? Please point them out to me.

Honestly, what it sounds like is that you're accusing me of cherrypicking the time that Dempsey Ducked Wills.
                Last edited by travestyny; 06-01-2018, 08:03 AM.

Comment

I've posted an excellent article that describes the intricacies of the times and the barriers that prevented the bout from occurring. Read it then ask yourself why you did not try to explain the full story but instead cherry picked ONLY the portion that would boister your agenda. It's called intellectual dishonesty.

Comment

As a start why don't you discuss the color line? That's a book in of itself. Understanding the culture that led to the color line is critical in explaining the reason why from say 1880 (could go back much further) to 1950 only two black fighters fought a white hwt champion for the title. One, Johnson, gained his title shot against a non American (hugely significant in of itself) and Louis, who had to conduct himself in a manner that was acceptable to white society in order to garner his title shot vs Braddock. These are critical history lessons you do not discuss in your effort to push an obvious agenda.

Comment

--- Teensy, every village has at least one, and certainly you have proved yerself a veritable complete village of idiots.

Half the stuff you cut and paste is illegible even on a my big screen, and the rest shows the conniving legalese backside of boxing with Dempsey being sued right and left after leaving Kearns for trying to make the Willard fight. It's small wonder he laid up for 3 years to actually make some actual money instead of shady promotions moving the majic shell game of money around the tables for the rubes to guess at. Fights fall out to this very day over the same shell games.

Without yer stupid cartoon cut and paste, yer illiterate and utterly tone deaf and have yet to show one redeeming value beyond yer bleating of your Johnny One Note refrain.

Comment

Working...
                      X