No announcement yet.

A Peculiar Offer By Dempsey: Winner Take All vs. Wills

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by travestyny View Post
    The question is, why do you believe all of these people, including newspapers that provide direct quotations, are changing his words to say "negro."

That makes no sense.

And why would "Dempsey: By the man himself" not be...BY THE MAN HIMSELF?
    It's just a title dude. Do you think the name of everything is a correct description of what it is? Either way it's not an autobiography. It's a retelling of what Dempsey said to sports writers which is a biography.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
      It's just a title dude. Do you think the name of everything is a correct description of what it is? Either way it's not an autobiography. It's a retelling of what Dempsey said to sports writers which is a biography.
      But then you're saying that newspapers edited his posts to include the word negro...

authors edited his words to include the word negro...

Clay Moyle/posters online edited his words to include the word negro....

Come on, dude. That doesn't make sense.

Comment

"Negro" WAS NOT a derogatory term for black people in the 1920's. In fact it was the accepted term.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
          "Negro" WAS NOT a derogatory term for black people in the 1920's. In fact it was the accepted term.
          As I've stated months before, I agree with you.

But what is odd is that you will neither apologize for your accusations against me, nor will you answer the questions that I posed above.

Comment

But then you're saying that newspapers edited his posts to include the word negro...

authors edited his words to include the word negro...

Clay Moyle/posters online edited his words to include the word negro....

Come on, dude. That doesn't make sense.
            They could have paraphrased, made things up, added things in to sell the book. Who knows.

I'd rather have the unalterable primary source to read than a second hand source. If the poster is so reliable then why wasn't he able to post a link to the article?

Comment

They could have paraphrased, made things up, added things in to sell the book. Who knows.

I'd rather have the unalterable primary source to read than a second hand source. If the poster is so reliable then why wasn't he able to post a link to the article?
              Again, so that means you think:

1. Newspapers paraphrased direct quotations by changing colored to negro.

2. Clay Moyle, a well respected author, changed direct quotations to implant the word negro numerous times.

3. Other authors took what was supposed to be direct quotations and added in the word "negro" to sell more books?????

That's outrageous when there is a very simple explanation. He used the word negro numerous times.

This is obvious, dude. And no, it doesn't mean he was racist.

Comment

Again, so that means you think:

1. Newspapers paraphrased direct quotations by changing colored to negro.

2. Clay Moyle, a well respected author, changed direct quotations to implant the word negro numerous times.

3. Other authors took what was supposed to be direct quotations and added in the word "negro" to sell more books?????

That's outrageous when there is a very simple explanation. He used the word negro numerous times.

This is obvious, dude. And no, it doesn't mean he was racist.
                I found the full post online. The author isn't claiming to get it from ebony ****zine that's just where he thinks its from. None the less he claims its from a book called "white and black" and a chapter called "Why negros rule boxing"

To go along with the rest of the book it is very likely that the authors of the book changed it to negro.

Comment

I found the full post online. The author isn't claiming to get it from ebony ****zine that's just where he thinks its from. None the less he claims its from a book called "white and black" and a chapter called "Why negros rule boxing"

To go along with the rest of the book it is very likely that the authors of the book changed it to negro.
                  Or very likely that Dempsey repeatedly used the term negro because it was acceptable at the time!!!!

Comment

Or very likely that Dempsey repeatedly used the term negro because it was acceptable at the time!!!!
                    Likely. I remember seeing some older books around that period being sold on Pawn Stars with some very racial type of art work with the word negro.

Comment

• [QUOTE=HOUDINI563;18828533]"Negro" WAS NOT a derogatory term for black people in the 1920's. In fact it was the accepted term.[/QUOTE

Yes… it was only much later, that this term ceased to be politically correct.

Nat Fleischer wrote several books about the history of black boxers, where he used the word frequently. One of them was "Sockers in Sepia" (1947) - where, in the very first paragraph of the book, he used the word "negro" no less than 3 times!

A lot of bad things can be said about Fleischer's all-time rankings… but I've never seen anyone accuse him of being racist!

Comment

Working...
                      X