Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some of The Worst Stoppages In Boxing History?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

95% of calzaghes stoppage resume

Comment

Originally posted by OCPancho View Post
      Then what are red lights for ???? . . . Sure, the time remaining matters. No matter who he thinks is winning. . . .
      I hope I was clear that it was NOT a good stoppage, only that the amount of time left should never enter into the decision to stop or not stop.

I guess the lights are there as a high tech way of replacing a guy banging the apron with a hammer, as it is done in most States.

The ref and the seconds need to know when a round is about to end, the ref to prepare to break the fighters; the seconds to prepare to enter the ring.

But the lights are not there IMO so a ref can say to himself, "I will alter the outcome of this fight because there are only two seconds left and I think this kid is winning." I really hope that is not why they are there.

I think it was a bad stoppage! I think it should have gone to a decision.

BUT I also think that Chavez should have won a UD. (Now there is something we can argue about. Chavez beat Taylor a slow death.) But that is a completely different argument for another time.

It was a bad stoppage, but the 'time left' is not the argument to make.

I agree Steele handled his evaluation poorly. I think some of the blame needs to go on Lou Duva. His decision to jump up on the apron ring at that moment distracted Taylor away from Steele. I repeat Steele handled it wrong. Maybe Steele even saw an opportunity to cheat Taylor, when Taylor looked away (over at Duva). But Taylor does look away from Steele exactly at the moment he shouldn't have, and it was because of Lou Duva's theatrics.

P.S. I need to add, the real culprit is Jose and the WBC -- Does anyone believe Taylor is still standing after 15? The real championship distance!
      Last edited by Dempsey-Louis; 05-09-2018, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
        I hope I was clear that it was NOT a good stoppage, only that the amount of time left should never enter into the decision to stop or not stop.

I guess the lights are there as a high tech way of replacing a guy banging the apron with a hammer, as it is done in most States.

The ref and the seconds need to know when a round is about to end, the ref to prepare to break the fighters; the seconds to prepare to enter the ring.

But the lights are not there IMO so a ref can say to himself, "I will alter the outcome of this fight because there are only two seconds left and I think this kid is winning." I really hope that is not why they are there.

I think it was a bad stoppage! I think it should have gone to a decision.

BUT I also think that Chavez should have won a UD. (Now there is something we can argue about. Chavez beat Taylor a slow death.) But that is a completely different argument for another time.

It was a bad stoppage, but the 'time left' is not the argument to make.

I agree Steele handled his evaluation poorly. I think some of the blame needs to go on Lou Duva. His decision to jump up on the apron ring at that moment distracted Taylor away from Steele. I repeat Steele handled it wrong. Maybe Steele even saw an opportunity to cheat Taylor, when Taylor looked away (over at Duva). But Taylor does look away from Steele exactly at the moment he shouldn't have, and it was because of Lou Duva's theatrics.

P.S. I need to add, the real culprit is Jose and the WBC -- Does anyone believe Taylor is still standing after 15? The real championship distance!
        My bad. Misunderstood you some.

Lou has some to blame for sure .
        Trainers really should not distract their boxers when they get knocked down. Saw Rafael Ruelas get counted out b/c he looked at Joe Goosen for a cue when to get up.

I think the real culprit on that fight was Steele. He knew who was "supposed" to win. JCC was Don King's meal ticket.

No way Taylor survives the 13th round if there was one.

I hate the 12 rounders anyway. It has ruined title fights. You have runners and punchstats champions now. Just run-out a few rounds and win a stinking decision.
        Marciano and Louis would have lost title fights if the fights only went on for 12 rounds .

Comment

The most important duty of a referee is to stop a fighter that is badly hurt.
          Whatever the stage the fight has reached.

To us boxing nerds, Chavez-Taylor was stopped prematurely.
          To a civilized human being (I’m not as I like boxing), the fight was stopped way too late.

Taylor got his health wrecked that night. His brain and body was a mess.

If I should blame anyone that particular night, it isn’t Steele, but me who enjoyed watching a 24-year young man having his future destroyed.
          Last edited by Ben Bolt; 05-09-2018, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Kovalev - Ward 2 Total bull****, Kovalev won the first fight, should've won on a DQ or at least been able to continue the second fight after a standing 8 count. Just horse **** corruption.

Tyson - Holyfield 2 (hey, it woulda been awesome if they let the fight continue, the end of the third round was the old prime Tyson, that was the last glimpse we'd see of him.)

Comment

Griffith-Paret 2
              Griffith-Paret 2 was a decision.

Comment

The worst stoppage I ever saw was in John Meekins fight ( who later lost to Meldrick Taylor for the title ). John was hitting the other guy and the ref stops the fight . The other guy throws a left hook and KNOCKS OUT Meekins .
                Meekins was out and won on TKO. How freaking strange is that ?
                That was Mohammed Kawoya. One of the most bizarre stoppages I have ever seen. They were actually going to do an immediate rematch but Kawoya pulled out and Saoul Mamby stepped in to face Meekins.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                  That was Mohammed Kawoya. One of the most bizarre stoppages I have ever seen. They were actually going to do an immediate rematch but Kawoya pulled out and Saoul Mamby stepped in to face Meekins.
                  It was bizarre.
                  It exposed John's weak chin.
                  I thought he was going to be a world champ.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
                    The most important duty of a referee is to stop a fighter that is badly hurt.
                    Whatever the stage the fight has reached.

To us boxing nerds, Chavez-Taylor was stopped prematurely.
                    To a civilized human being (I’m not as I like boxing), the fight was stopped way too late.

Taylor got his health wrecked that night. His brain and body was a mess.

If I should blame anyone that particular night, it isn’t Steele, but me who enjoyed watching a 24-year young man having his future destroyed.
                    You can blame WBC and Sulaiman for screwing the Duvas for that too. Lou did not think they could win a close decision . They were already robbed in the first Whitaker- Ramirez fight. Absolutely the worst decision I ever saw. I didn't think Ramirez even won 3 rounds . This was worse than Pac-Bradley 1.
                    Then Rocky Lockridge barely lost to JCC. The Duvas thought Rocky did enough .

Plenty of boxers got wrecked in their winning performances. Ali in Thrilla in Manila was totally spent . Wanted to quit at the end of the 12th round. Dundee would not stop the fight .

Comment

You can blame WBC and Sulaiman for screwing the Duvas for that too. Lou did not think they could win a close decision . They were already robbed in the first Whitaker- Ramirez fight. Absolutely the worst decision I ever saw. I didn't think Ramirez even won 3 rounds . This was worse than Pac-Bradley 1.
                      Then Rocky Lockridge barely lost to JCC. The Duvas thought Rocky did enough .

Plenty of boxers got wrecked in their winning performances. Ali in Thrilla in Manila was totally spent . Wanted to quit at the end of the 12th round. Dundee would not stop the fight .
                      Would you say it was a worse decision than Casamayor vs. Santa Cruz.

Comment

Working...
                      X