Collapse
No announcement yet.

DEBATE: Jimmy Deforest's Quotation Regarding Dempsey's Hand Wraps

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple. Show everyone a photo of a bike from that time period with white bicycle tape on it. We are all waiting. Secondly LOOK at his wrappings and tell everyone what looks in any way unusual. Third please let everyone understand how changes in hand wraps would effect the cutting ability of hands encased in the 4-5 oz horse hair filled bricks I mean gloves of the day. We are all waiting on your reply.

Comment

Another question I have is....do you understand how fighters hands are wrapped? Tape is used sparingly to hold the gauze wrappings in place. That's what one is seeing on Dempseys fists.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
        I can't envision wraps that harden a bit over time doing anything to further aid the destructive nature of these gloves. I would venture to say more damage would occur to the fighters hands than the opponents face.
        You also said this....but Willard disagrees with you. This was BEFORE the fight:

Willard said in newswire article just days before his butchering in Toledo. “Some fellows have wound adhesive tape so thickly that the fist felt like iron through the glove."
        So clearly certain kinds of tape can aid in the destructive nature of the gloves.

Comment

Simple. Show everyone a photo of a bike from that time period with white bicycle tape on it. We are all waiting. Secondly LOOK at his wrappings and tell everyone what looks in any way unusual. Third please let everyone understand how changes in hand wraps would effect the cutting ability of hands encased in the 4-5 oz horse hair filled bricks I mean gloves of the day. We are all waiting on your reply.
          Why would I have to show people a picture of a bike with tape from the 1900's.

1. Deforest disagrees with you that it was normal tape and he wrapped the hands.

2. Charles Samuel wrote that it was bicycle tape.

And you want me to find tape on a bike from the 1900's?

How about you tell me why they would lie. That's the point of this thread.

Comment

Another question I have is....do you understand how fighters hands are wrapped? Tape is used sparingly to hold the gauze wrappings in place. That's what one is seeing on Dempseys fists.
            Exactly! Tape is supposed to be used sparringly, and that's precisely what Willard wanted.

“The rules of the Boxing Commission in Toledo specified soft bandages. Willard declared that he planned to use plain cotton bandages with a couple of layers of surgical tape to hold the bandages in place. “that’s all I care to use, and I think Dempsey should feel the same way about it. I believe it always looks bad to the spectators to see a boxer come into the ring with his hands looking as hard as a club because protected by some heavy material.”
            Willard said that he would insist upon a thin layer of cotton surgical band aces, and only enough tape to hold the bandages in place.
            https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/49749739/

But look what was reported of Dempsey's wraps:
            Dempsey entered the ring with hands heavily wrapped in tape and Willard had lost a critical battle to Doc Kearns.”
            https://books.google.co.kr/books?id=...0brine&f=false
            Same link as above:

Doyle noted that the men were supposed to enter the ring bare-handed and have their bandages applied in the ring. But they both came in with bandages on their hands. Dempsey “entered the ring taped well down the wrist almost to the finger tips.” Willard, “to be sure, also entered with bandages on, but they barely ran around his big hands.”

This is all in my first two posts I believe. See the point??? Again, eyewitnesses. I'm not just pulling this out of my ass.

Comment

You make many errors which indicate you have little knowledge of boxing. First issue you have is taking every snippet you find as gospel. Secondly you have no baseline of knowledge so you cannot digest real evidence. The photo of Dempsey in his corner with his fists a foot or two away from the camera should be all the evidence you need. Tell everyone how Dempseys hands are in any way wrapped in an unusual manner. I see gauze wrapping with tape used sparingly to hold them in place. Normal hand wrappings not unlike what is done today.

Comment

White bicycle tape did not exist in 1919. Period.

Comment

White bicycle tape did not exist in 1919. Period.
                  And your proof is....

Comment

You make many errors which indicate you have little knowledge of boxing. First issue you have is taking every snippet you find as gospel. Secondly you have no baseline of knowledge so you cannot digest real evidence. The photo of Dempsey in his corner with his fists a foot or two away from the camera should be all the evidence you need. Tell everyone how Dempseys hands are in any way wrapped in an unusual manner. I see gauze wrapping with tape used sparingly to hold them in place. Normal hand wrappings not unlike what is done today.
                    And your mistake is that you've provide absolutely nothing except your own word.

I'm sorry, I'll take Jimmy Deforest and Charles Samuel's word over yours.

Why don't you tell us why they would lie.

You blatantly disregard eyewitness testimony that the tape wasn't used sparingly. Should we believe you or the people there at the fight?

Comment

Father owned a bicycle shop for 45 years. White bicycle tape did not exist in 1919.

Comment

Working...
                      X