No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Roy Jones Jr. Legacy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

(Nun might have been a good fight for him)
    Is It true he avoided Nunn?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
      Excellent post! I love the notion of Jones and Mayweather acting like a real fight is about to go down but it never happens. They both did that quite a lot.

As far as the chin theory, I hear you and agree to a point, but what about guys like Hearns? Hearns would be in my top fifty or maybe even twenty and he didn't have a great chin but he had just about everything else. Thoughts?
      Hearns is an ATG and in the top percentile. If he had Hagler's chin we may be talking about him as the best fighter ever. Seriously he had incredible reach, fast hands, killer right hand, outstanding boxing skills, menancing stare and has never been outboxed as far as I can tell. The biggest thing about Tommy was his bring it attitude. He had a huge heart. An outstanding fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
        Tommy was his bring it attitude. He had a huge heart. An outstanding fighter.
        He really was good to watch. My only problem with him was ducking Mugabi and Mccallum.

I am certain Mccallum would have knocked him out.

Comment

Originally posted by Geralt69 View Post
          He really was good to watch. My only problem with him was ducking Mugabi and Mccallum.

I am certain Mccallum would have knocked him out.
          He didn't fight them but I don't know that he ducked them. McCallum would have been dangerous because of the body punching. Don't think McCallum would be able to beat Tommy on points unless he hurt him badly. Tommy was too good of a boxer. Mugabi was too crude to beat Tommy unless he knocked him out.

Comment

McCallum would have been dangerous because of the body punching.
            Mike durability would help him also

McCallum would be able to beat Tommy on points unless he hurt him badly. Tommy was too good of a boxer.
            I don't think Tommy was as skilful as Mike.
            And I think Mike is more likely to rock Tommy than the other way around...

Comment

Mike durability would help him also

I don't think Tommy was as skilful as Mike.
              And I think Mike is more likely to rock Tommy than the other way around...
              I think Tommy was more skilled than Mike but I agree that McCallum was more likely to hurt Tommy because of his chin and he could be hurt to the body. But in a match where neither guy gets rocked Id pick Hearns. That jab of his was a laser.

Comment

I think Tommy was more skilled than Mike but I agree that McCallum was more likely to hurt Tommy because of his chin and he could be hurt to the body. But in a match where neither guy gets rocked Id pick Hearns. That jab of his was a laser.
                Mike was really ****ing good at making guys miss doe...
                If you can outbox James Toney you can outbox anyone...

Comment

Mike was really ****ing good at making guys miss doe...
                  If you can outbox James Toney you can outbox anyone...
                  Hearns outboxed Benitez who was also a defensive wizard. Hearns McCallum would have been a good fight.

Comment

Hearns is an ATG and in the top percentile. If he had Hagler's chin we may be talking about him as the best fighter ever. Seriously he had incredible reach, fast hands, killer right hand, outstanding boxing skills, menancing stare and has never been outboxed as far as I can tell. The biggest thing about Tommy was his bring it attitude. He had a huge heart. An outstanding fighter.
                    It's hard to beat the Motor City Cobra. One of a kind.

Comment

Hearns McCallum would have been a good fight.
                      Yes!

Comment

Working...
                      X