No announcement yet.

Canelo Alvarez vs. Paul Williams

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JK1700 View Post
    Respect to Paul Williams he was a tough guy and fun fighter to watch but I think Canelo would’ve countered the hell out of him and maybe even stopped him. Paul was too predictable and didn’t switch up his attack much. Would’ve been a good fight for the first 4-6 rounds then Canelo would’ve figured out his timing just like Martinez did and won clearly I think. Good fight though. To me Canelo-Martinez would’ve been a better fight just because of his ability to move and do different things in there. Like use his legs.
    Remember this was a very untested Canelo. His biggest win was a shot Shane Mosley and other shot guys like Cintron and Baldomir.

In his very next fight (after the Lopez fight) was Trout and Canelo barely won that fight. He was crazy winded in that fight and Williams push a much, much higher pace in his fights.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
      Remember this was a very untested Canelo. His biggest win was a shot Shane Mosley and other shot guys like Cintron and Baldomir.

In his very next fight (after the Lopez fight) was Trout and Canelo barely won that fight. He was crazy winded in that fight and Williams push a much, much higher pace in his fights.
      Williams was very much there to be hit though, whereas Trout is/was a solid defensive fighter who wouldnt present too many opportunities.

It says a lot that Williams response to getting beat by Lara (**** the judges) was that he just needed to throw more punches. He was a bit of a freak in terms of his build and his style, but he didnt have a high boxing IQ

Comment

I totally agree and at the time the fight was signed I saw it as a very competitive fight just like you. However I always thought Canelo would win. Yeah Paul had a better resume but that doesn't mean he was a better fighter. He was always a good fighter but they hyped him up a little too much. He only knew how to fight one way so it was only a matter of time until he got exposed. Quintana and Lara both beat him pretty bad, Canelo was more of a fighter than those guys but he's just as smart as them. I see it as a 8-4 kind of decision for Canelo, exciting fight.

Canelo/Trout was super close but styles make fights and Trout was a tough fight because he had a good jab and could use his legs. That's something Paul didn't do, and while his work rate and size made it very hard for certain guys to outwork or even hurt him, I think Canelo would've been different because he could crack guys and knock them out. I just see Paul getting countered a lot or getting caught.

Comment

I totally agree and at the time the fight was signed I saw it as a very competitive fight just like you. However I always thought Canelo would win. Yeah Paul had a better resume but that doesn't mean he was a better fighter. He was always a good fighter but they hyped him up a little too much. He only knew how to fight one way so it was only a matter of time until he got exposed. Quintana and Lara both beat him pretty bad, Canelo was more of a fighter than those guys but he's just as smart as them. I see it as a 8-4 kind of decision for Canelo, exciting fight.

Canelo/Trout was super close but styles make fights and Trout was a tough fight because he had a good jab and could use his legs. That's something Paul didn't do, and while his work rate and size made it very hard for certain guys to outwork or even hurt him, I think Canelo would've been different because he could crack guys and knock them out. I just see Paul getting countered a lot or getting caught.
          I didn't see Canelo as much of a puncher back then. Since stepping up his level of opposition, he's really only stopped guys who were completely overmatched.

Comment

I didn't see Canelo as much of a puncher back then. Since stepping up his level of opposition, he's really only stopped guys who were completely overmatched.
            Not saying he would've stopped Paul, but I think he had enough power to to hurt him coming in. I mean Lara's not a puncher at all and he was snapping P-Will's head back at will so I think it's that kind of fight. Maybe not as bad as that was but Paul lost to guys who weren't as good as Canelo. Like Quintana for example and I know he destroyed him in the rematch but that first fight still counts. He struggled with skilled guys. It's still a tough fight but ultimately I gotta think Canelo wins.

Comment

Not saying he would've stopped Paul, but I think he had enough power to to hurt him coming in. I mean Lara's not a puncher at all and he was snapping P-Will's head back at will so I think it's that kind of fight. Maybe not as bad as that was but Paul lost to guys who weren't as good as Canelo. Like Quintana for example and I know he destroyed him in the rematch but that first fight still counts. He struggled with skilled guys. It's still a tough fight but ultimately I gotta think Canelo wins.
              I actually think Lara has a very good punch, but he rarely uses it. He's comfortable to just sit back and peck away when he knows he could. But when someone fights him hard and stays on him, it's a much different Lara.

Comment

Sometimes you beg to go cripple and sometimes your prayers are answered. Built all wrong for motorcycle wrecks.

Comment

I think people are thinking of current prime Canelo when they reply to this. At this point in Canelos career he just went life & death with shot Sugar Shane.

Hadn't fought Trout yet which IMO was the real turning point for him. He was considered a protected cherry picker that still had chin and stamina question marks until he took that fight because nobody expected him to take it. It really gave him a lot of confidence to take that fight and win convincingly even if the cards were ****ing rigged up til the middle rounds but he won it late convincingly.

I think Kirkland with Anne Wolfe would of given Canelo a lot more hell around that time and I think Paul Williams would of won a Unanimous decision unless Canelo could gain his respect early to keep him off.

Comment

Originally posted by $Bullsfam$ View Post
                    I think people are thinking of current prime Canelo when they reply to this. At this point in Canelos career he just went life & death with shot Sugar Shane.

Hadn't fought Trout yet which IMO was the real turning point for him. He was considered a protected cherry picker that still had chin and stamina question marks until he took that fight because nobody expected him to take it. It really gave him a lot of confidence to take that fight and win convincingly even if the cards were ****ing rigged up til the middle rounds but he won it late convincingly.

I think Kirkland with Anne Wolfe would of given Canelo a lot more hell around that time and I think Paul Williams would of won a Unanimous decision unless Canelo could gain his respect early to keep him off.
                    ^^^^ basically my same thoughts on the subject.

Comment

Hard to say actually.

If the Paul Williams showed up that beat Margarito, he would have shít on Canelo and still lost a fixed split decision.

I do think he left something in the ring after the first Martinez fight. He was taking too much punishment and I think it was adding up. He looked bad against Cintron and got starched in the Martinez rematch. Lara got robbed and I can't really remember Pauls last fight against Ishida.

He could have had a great night against Canelo or really got beat up. I don't think Canelo could stop him though. If he did get his asś whooped I think it would go 12 rounds.

Comment

Working...
                      X