Clear All

No knockdowns, no point deductions

Oscar won 9 rounds
    Trinidad won 3

Don King won 4,000,000 ($)

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
      PBF should have a draw on his resume.

I hope that is in reference to his first fight with Castillo and not his fight with Oscar De La Hoya.There is absolutely no argument for De La Hoya deserving the decision there

Comment

One of the biggest robberys ever, I love tito. Infact one of my favorite welterweights. His style is dope, but I honestly had DLH winning this. I couldn't ****ing believe it.

Comment

I thought De La Hoya won even giving away the last three rounds. While I deplore bad decisions in all cases since Oscar had gotten a gift against Whittaker I always figured this was a bit of karma leveling.

Poet

Comment

I thought DLH won it though was stupid to coast the last rounds

Comment

DLH won, hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMacFoster View Post
                I hope that is in reference to his first fight with Castillo and not his fight with Oscar De La Hoya.There is absolutely no argument for De La Hoya deserving the decision there
                It really surprises me how nasty you are with me when at the end of the day you agree with me on a lot of issues. This being another one.

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                I thought De La Hoya won even giving away the last three rounds. While I deplore bad decisions in all cases since Oscar had gotten a gift against Whittaker I always figured this was a bit of karma leveling.

Poet
                Don't forget his gifts over Quartey and Sturm.

As far as this fight goes, the best Tito could have deserved is a draw IMO. My scorecard:

Round 1: 10 – 9 De La Hoya
                Not much happened this round, but the punches that were clean were landed by De La Hoya, who landed a good left hook in the first half of the round and a flurried with a half decent combination near the end of the round.

*Round 2: 9 – 10 Trinidad
                Trinidad significantly outworked De La Hoya this round, who was once again the cleaner puncher nonetheless. Trinidad pulled it out for me by being more effective with the jab, left hooks, and straight right hands in this round. Still, very close round in my eyes, and De La Hoya nearly stole it at the end.

~All 3 judges did in fact score this round for Trinidad.

Round 3: 10 – 9 De La Hoya
                Clear round for De La Hoya. He landed the bigger shots, the cleaner shots, and didn't allow himself to get outworked. Tito was less aggressive this round and Oscar let his hands go more.

~All 3 judges scored this round for De La Hoya.

Round 4: 9 – 10 Trinidad
                De La Hoya got beat up this round. I still think De La Hoya managed to land more punches, but none had the thudding impact Tito's did, who backed De La Hoya up throughout (straight back after impact as opposed to his usual lateral movement). Oscar took 1 step off his bicycle this round, and paid the price.

~All 3 judges scored this round for Trinidad.

Round 5: 10 – 9 De La Hoya
                Another clear round for De La Hoya. His combinations straight up the middle said it all in this round. Tito just had no answers.

~All 3 judges scored this round for De La Hoya

Round 6: 10 – 9 De La Hoya
                Tito has a bit more success than he did in the last round, but it was pretty much a replay of the same things. De La Hoya's combinations were a little less spectacular but he still clearly won the round.

~All 3 judges scored this round for De La Hoya

Round 7: 10 – 9 De La Hoya
                More of the same from the last round, except De La Hoya gives a little more angles with his punches, and also does a fair bit more running. There's a lot of booing in this round. It caused one judge to give it to Trinidad apparently... Tito didn't land anything meaningful for me to say he should get it tho. For the most part he genuinely looked confused this round.

Round 8: 10 – 9 De La Hoya
                Trinidad got a clue this round about what to do, even eventually managed to land a big left hook toward the end. However, Oscar still clearly outpointed him this round by beating him to the punch. Tito while less confused than the previous round, just couldn't seem to get off in time to make a serious impact. Two judges gave this round to Trinidad...they were very generous.

*Round 9: 10 – 9 De La Hoya
                In the first minute of this round, Oscar punished Tito to the body for a good 15 discontinuous seconds. In the second minute, Oscar took his foot off the gas and Tito clearly got the better of him. The last minute was pretty even. Minute wise this was a Tito round. Weighing the best punches more heavily, this becomes a De La Hoya round. Could go either way, and I watched it again before I gave the nod to Oscar. He landed too many jabs (although weak ones) and got a great straight right hand in near the end.

Round 10: 9 – 10 Trinidad
                Perhaps the best round of the fight. Trinidad got off a lot more, and De La Hoya actually would elect to stand and trade from time to time. Competitive round, but Tito brought the pain while De La Hoya just added fuel to the fire. De La Hoya still did a lot of running this round, but he did it without the boxing...which is why he lost.

Round 11: 9 – 10 Trinidad
                Oscar enters full running man mode this round. No way did he deserve to win it.

Round 12: 9 – 10 Trinidad
                This fight was billed as the fight of the Millennium. It turned out to be the biggest big fight disappointment of the decade. Oscar ran away and lost the most important fight of his career. My scorecard says he won, but it's far from highway robbery. He dropped the ball.

Final Score: 7 – 5 De La Hoya (115 – 113)

Score Variances:
                *Scoring the starred rounds even, I got it 6-4-2 De La Hoya.
                *Scoring all the starred rounds to De La Hoya, I got it 8-4 De La Hoya.
                *Scoring all the starred rounds to Trinidad, I got it a draw.

Comment

This is sooo old! I'm sick and tired of reading and hearing about this-its in the past, forget it! Even Oscar has forgotten it by now, why can't you??

Comment

ODLH did not win the first 9 rounds, i think thats a bit of a myth. At most he was 7-2 or 6-3 up after 9 rounds. But he clearly lost 3 rounds in a row after that making it, at worse 7-5 for ODLH, me personally i had it a draw.

Comment

• There were two close rounds which could have gone either way,Which I scored for Trinidad due to the significent punches he landed but I still felt at worse for De La Hoya is was a 115-113 decision victory.

It isn't the robbery as is claimed and I you do believe as such you haven't watched that many fights as there were much worse robberies during 1999.

As bad a decision as the first Lewis Holyfield fight was,It was actually good for boxing considering all the mainstream media coverage it got.

It was a pretty hyped up fight as it was but the outcry of the decision I remember was huge and not just from the boxing media either

Originally posted by Obama View Post
                      It really surprises me how nasty you are with me when at the end of the day you agree with me on a lot of issues. This being another one.

Originally posted by Obama View Post
                      Final Score: 7 – 5 De La Hoya (115 – 113)

Oh dear,Well we know who's alt I am now don't we?
                      Last edited by BigMacFoster; 09-12-2009, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X