Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Does Duran Stack Up All Time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fairly certain duran got sparked by hearns at 154 lbs. hearns likely would have stayed there if the money at 160 wasn't so damn good. no real shame in getting sparked by the very best puncher of your era. gives you more respect for the iron chin of ray leonard, too.

Comment

Please ask Oscar De La Hoya how good a boxer he thinks Mosely was.

BTW, Duran always had problems with skilled boxers like the two (2) Viruets, Wilfred Benitez, etc. Moreover, Mosely's hand speed along with his 5" reach advantage would give Duran fits.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg1224 View Post
        Please ask Oscar De La Hoya how good a boxer he thinks Mosely was.

BTW, Duran always had problems with skilled boxers like the two (2) Viruets, Wilfred Benitez, etc. Moreover, Mosely's hand speed along with his 5" reach advantage would give Duran fits.
        But then Vernon Forrest dominated Mosley. Duran was far superior to Forrest.

No shame in losing to Benitez, who I recall was considerably bigger than Duran. The problem for Duran is that he got lazy between fights. In the five months between his fights with Leonard, he gained up to 40 pounds, and was partying hard. He didn't have nearly enough time to condition himself for the rematch which was Leoanard's game plan after getting wind from one of his bodyguards that Duran was partying in nightclubs and put on a lot of weight.

Duran is easily a top-ten all-time welter and top three lightweight.

Comment

We are comparing Duran and Mosely as Lightweights.
          Vernon Forrest was a welterweight and, BTW, Winkie Wright, to whom Mosely also lost twice, was a light
          middleweight.

Finally, I do agree that Duran let his weight balloon between his fights and, accordingly, SRL shamed him in their 2nd fight.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg1224 View Post
            We are comparing Duran and Mosely as Lightweights.
            Vernon Forrest was a welterweight and, BTW, Winkie Wright, to whom Mosely also lost twice, was a light
            middleweight.

Finally, I do agree that Duran let his weight balloon between his fights and, accordingly, SRL shamed him in their 2nd fight.
            Was not sugar Shane a lightweight champ that moved up to fight Oscar? Either way Shane was certainly at the height of his career at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
              But then Vernon Forrest dominated Mosley. Duran was far superior to Forrest.

No shame in losing to Benitez, who I recall was considerably bigger than Duran. The problem for Duran is that he got lazy between fights. In the five months between his fights with Leonard, he gained up to 40 pounds, and was partying hard. He didn't have nearly enough time to condition himself for the rematch which was Leoanard's game plan after getting wind from one of his bodyguards that Duran was partying in nightclubs and put on a lot of weight.

Duran is easily a top-ten all-time welter and top three lightweight.
              Duran's lack of discipline was usually a tougher opponent than the guys that climbed into the ring with him

Comment

"Duran is easily a top-ten all-time welter and top three lightweight".

Duran had about 8 fights at welter and was 1&1 against prime opponents. (Leonard) Palomino & Brooks are NOT great fighters!

The history of great fighters at Welter is pretty stacked, you don't think Kid Gavilan, Barney Ross, Emile Griffith, Jose Napoles, Henry Armstrong, Barbados Walcott, Tommy Hearns, Carmen Basilo,
                Donald Curry, Charley Burley, Felix Trinidad............and others couldn't hang with him?

I put Duran high at welter because of his willingness and desire along with his skill set but against the welter greats that also have his intangibles things can become very even and sometimes lop sided.
                Duran in with the real Sugar Ray gets stopped just like Hearns
                handled him. He would struggle against the Kid too. The men I mentioned would match his power and have answers for his
                best skills.

Top 12 to 20 at 147, and a top 1 to 6 lightweight for sure.

His best is at 135 no doubt but his desire to fight on at higher weights showed his skill set when his power was neutralized.
                One of my favorite boxers to watch work.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  "Duran is easily a top-ten all-time welter and top three lightweight".

Duran had about 8 fights at welter and was 1&1 against prime opponents. (Leonard) Palomino & Brooks are NOT great fighters!

The history of great fighters at Welter is pretty stacked, you don't think Kid Gavilan, Barney Ross, Emile Griffith, Jose Napoles, Henry Armstrong, Barbados Walcott, Tommy Hearns, Carmen Basilo,
                  Donald Curry, Charley Burley, Felix Trinidad............and others couldn't hang with him?

I put Duran high at welter because of his willingness and desire along with his skill set but against the welter greats that also have his intangibles things can become very even and sometimes lop sided.
                  Duran in with the real Sugar Ray gets stopped just like Hearns
                  handled him. He would struggle against the Kid too. The men I mentioned would match his power and have answers for his
                  best skills.

Top 12 to 20 at 147, and a top 1 to 6 lightweight for sure.

His best is at 135 no doubt but his desire to fight on at higher weights showed his skill set when his power was neutralized.
                  One of my favorite boxers to watch work.

Ray
                  If anything, Palomino was very underrated. He would be a dominant champion today without a doubt. Donald Curry was on the same level as Davey Moore, who Duran crushed. I don't think placing him in the top ten all time WW is beyond reasonable, especially if you are saying you can squeeze him into your top 12...splitting hairs here.

Comment

"If anything, Palomino was very underrated". ....by who?

Every time he stepped up he got beat! He didn't have 40 bouts and
                    his 3 draws at his home base were losses.
                    He had a nice style and looked the part but he would be blown out by the likes of Curry.
                    The welters I listed are capable of beating Duran and would easily defeat Palomino.
                    What punchers did Palomino every fight?
                    He was an average talent who lost when he stepped up, read is record!

Ray

Comment

I have him second all-time to Benny Leonard at Lightweight (but it's close). Not enough fights at Welter to rate him there

Comment

Working...
                      X