No announcement yet.

The Past vs the Present - different arguments

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
    Boxing has changed so much that you're comparing entirely different sets of skills across the decades. I'd love to see how Joe Gans would do against Floyd Mayweather. But I'm pretty sure each guy would win at his own game, and lose in the other guy's game. The sport has changed too much, and so has the culture surrounding boxing. The number of fights per year, the number of rounds in a fight, the gloves, the ring: whole different ballgame.
    Yea definitely & completely on point.

Who's rules do you go by lol? And how is it not an unfair advantage for one guy to have Gans vs Mayweather under Mayweather era rules or Gans era rules?

These conversations are so goofy & don't even consider stuff like this not to mention how the world mighta been different in this era or that era that would have made a difference. Maybe Jack Johnson gots that Anthony Joshua body & is 6'7 if he woulda been born in this era where people are just bigger.

There nearly infinite if not infinite levels to this whole discussion which is what makes it so out there of a conversation to have while pretending these crazy aspects of determining who or what era was better matter, but these other crazy aspects that play into the hand everyone was dealt in the era they were dealt it don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      It takes 10 years to become a good fighter even if you have GREAT skills!
      Imagine anyone on this board thinking they know more than someone who actually performs in the business.
      10 years to become a good fighter? Terrible statement but please continue with your condescending manner of posting. I look forward to you questioning my experience and competencies before declaring my opinions invalid as I have queried your statement.

Comment

Condescending? Well I can see how you think that.
        You think your on my level but your not, so you think I'm belittling you. Truth being your already very small (knowledge) in comparison.

Every fighter worth a damn puts in at least 10 years beginning at 10 years to 12 years old. All the quality fighter today in the pros are products of the J.O. classes and Junior
        Divisions.
        Thats the way its been since the days that Mr. Nappi took over the Olympic Training Center and put together the 76 Olympic team. All of those boys were from the J.O. Program.

All of the current Euro pros have extensive back grounds starting at a very young age!

"10 years to become a good fighter? Terrible statement"..

When your a State, Regional and National coach who trained with the National team in Colorado Springs Training Center USA/ABF then come talk to me!
        Until then just listen and learn and talk sh*! with your friends.

Rigo, Lomo, Mayweather, GGG, Koval, Joshua, Ward, Lara.
        Alverez, Brook, Crawford, Pacman, Garcia, Russell........
        Are all products of the J.O. programs and have at least 10 years of experience prior to pro success! GO AWAY!

Ray

Comment

Jesus, Ray... those last two posts of yours! How can a grown man post something like that and expect to be taken seriously?

Have you really no idea at all, how silly you make yourself look?

Comment

Try to digest this ok.......
            I came here to talk boxing, training, the fight, management, promotion and all aspects.
            My son was correct in stating your going on a forum where people who have no clue what you know will talk sh*! and crybaby and become defensive! He was RIGHT!

If your a lawyer, a brick layer a car salesmen or dentist I can't talk on your level because even though I know what a brick is, I have bought many a car in my life, and have my teeth cleaned regularly I don't know enough about those professions to converse intelligently with them.

Can you understand this?

I'm speaking directly to joethebum, why are you (bundana) jumping into something your not involved with?

Ray

Comment

You're right, Ray... I apologize for butting in, where I shouldn't have.

I was probably wrong in thinking, that we were all free to comment on whatever we feel like... but apparently this isn't the case.

Once again, I can only apologize, and hope you don't report me and get me banned for this violation of the rules.

Yours sincerely,
              Bundana

Comment

Every fighter worth a damn puts in at least 10 years beginning at 10 years to 12 years old. All the quality fighter today in the pros are products of the J.O. classes and Junior
                Divisions.
                Thats the way its been since the days that Mr. Nappi took over the Olympic Training Center and put together the 76 Olympic team. All of those boys were from the J.O. Program.

All of the current Euro pros have extensive back grounds starting at a very young age!

"10 years to become a good fighter? Terrible statement"..

When your a State, Regional and National coach who trained with the National team in Colorado Springs Training Center USA/ABF then come talk to me!
                Until then just listen and learn and talk sh*! with your friends.

Rigo, Lomo, Mayweather, GGG, Koval, Joshua, Ward, Lara.
                Alverez, Brook, Crawford, Pacman, Garcia, Russell........
                Are all products of the J.O. programs and have at least 10 years of experience prior to pro success! GO AWAY!

Ray
                I definitely agree with the 10 years to become a great fighter thing. That's basically the Malcolm Gladwell Outliers book theory on mastery in anything & has always made a lot of sense to me.

"Nothing wrong with that cuz ultimately the question is rhetorical & no one can actually know the real answer".

Your wrong you can know the answers if you know the Methodology and Technical aspects of the sport.
                Learn the art and you can give an intelligent observation that lil Floyd Mayweather with a dozen fights at Welterweight would get destroyed by Sugarman if it was 1946 or 2010.

You watch how tentative Tyson Fury is and against a prime Mike Tyson he would get blown out in 2 rounds!
                Evander wasn't shy he excepted Mikes challenge, Fury would NEVER do that. So he gets blasted out!

You can't learn boxing by watching TV, you need a teacher so you can learn when and when not to. You need to recognize limitations on offense & defense!
                It takes 10 years to become a good fighter even if you have GREAT skills!
                Imagine anyone on this board thinking they know more than someone who actually performs in the business.

Ray
                You must be the the guy in this subforum who says old time fighters always beat current fighters. I'll leave it to the guy who says all current fighters beat all old time fighters, who surely exists here as well, to further discuss time machine fights with you cuz I have no interest in it.

Comment

"You must be the the guy in this subforum who says old time fighters always beat current fighters".

I have never said that so your assuming tells me you haven't read many posts by me. You know what happens when you "assume"!

I think Chocolatito, Lomo, Rigo, Pacman, Crawford and a few others could do well in any era.

Stop and think about sending some the "current day" champs BACK, instead of moving past days champs forward!

Lets see Floyd Mayweather in an 18 ft ring with 6oz Reyes or horse hair Everlasts on looking at Sugar Ray Robinson or Kid Gavelin in the opposite corner.
                  I would love to see Lomo vs Sadler or Rigo vs Pep......
                  Theres very good boxers out there right now just not as many as there used to be. There used to be gyms everywhere in every major town thats not the case anymore.

good nite kids, see ya down the road.....

Comment

Originally posted by StarshipTrooper View Post
                    How is that any different than you believing YOUR time is the best? Aren't you being just as biased as those you're calling out?
                    "MY" time is the 60s. I don't believe I've ever argued, that this was a better decade than any other decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
                      "MY" time is the 60s. I don't believe I've ever argued, that this was a better decade than any other decade.
                      Apparently your time is now and NOT the '60s, as you've clearly selected today's era as your choice to nuthug.

Comment

Working...
                      X