No announcement yet.

Pernell Whitaker vs Oscar De La Hoya

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pete at 33 years old and a very young Oscar at 24 yrs old
    was the difference to me. When Oscar was physical and active he was a handful no doubt. However Pete being 9 years older was at a disadvantage against a younger hungry fighter like Oscar. Still it was a good fight with youth prevailing!

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      Oscar won that fight. I have always thought that, watching live or rewatching.. I never understood why this fight was considered debatable.

It was a competitive fight, but a clear Oscar win. Not sure if it sways opinion, but this was the first time Oscar really was in a tough competitive fight, so a lot of people at the time, (maybe presently) feel like Oscar was exposed and gave the nod to pernell.

Pernell did a nice job of neutralizing oscar's attacks, but pernell really didn't have a high activity rate to outscore oscar. Pernell gave away too many rounds, a lot of rounds was Oscar throwing a lot, missing a lot, and pernell not following up.. similar to Hopkins vs Taylor/calzaghe.. neutralize the attack, but not really have an attack of your own and lose to the guy who is pressing the fight

It wasn't the first time he was in a close fight. Harold Lederman had scored his fight with John John Molina for Molina.

Comment

Originally posted by The Smash View Post
        It wasn't the first time he was in a close fight. Harold Lederman had scored his fight with John John Molina for Molina.
        Yes you are correct..that fight was more rough than tough IMO.. I don't see how lederman could have Molina winning, but yes it was the first time Oscar was tested

Comment

Originally posted by Shaolin Sword View Post
          Clear Oscar win, 8-4. Landed the effective damaging blows. Whitaker's goofing around certainly didn't help him.
          Please tell me which 8 rounds you thought Oscar won.

Comment

Whitaker as others said was doing good job in defense but his offence was limited and Oscar outworked him.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
              Whitaker made it too close. Allowed De La Hoya to steal the fight.
              Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
              Oscar won that fight. I have always thought that, watching live or rewatching.. I never understood why this fight was considered debatable.

It was a competitive fight, but a clear Oscar win. Not sure if it sways opinion, but this was the first time Oscar really was in a tough competitive fight, so a lot of people at the time, (maybe presently) feel like Oscar was exposed and gave the nod to pernell.

Pernell did a nice job of neutralizing oscar's attacks, but pernell really didn't have a high activity rate to outscore oscar. Pernell gave away too many rounds, a lot of rounds was Oscar throwing a lot, missing a lot, and pernell not following up.. similar to Hopkins vs Taylor/calzaghe.. neutralize the attack, but not really have an attack of your own and lose to the guy who is pressing the fight
              Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              Pete at 33 years old and a very young Oscar at 24 yrs old
              was the difference to me. When Oscar was physical and active he was a handful no doubt. However Pete being 9 years older was at a disadvantage against a younger hungry fighter like Oscar. Still it was a good fight with youth prevailing!

Ray
              whitaker already looked like an old man when he fought oscar, all those years of partying and his love of ******* ended whitakers career. pernell's defensive skills were still there but he'd lost his sharp attack that would have won him the fight. it reminds me of robin reid's fight against calzaghe, the rounds he won he won big but then he'd stand around doing nothing for the next 3

Comment

De la houa

Comment

the dragg queen did a win this fight he win ten rounds an two draw rounds a man could a say the drugg addict sweet whitaker did not win any of rounds sweet whitaker was always a too much of running fighter i did not nevr liked fighter like sweet whitaker the man was arroagance and too much like loser jurnymen he does not fight very much he just talks a lots a of thngs and he does two much disco dance for show tv and not punch for show tv and his punches are no power like small blind woman mabe its a druugs pro***s idont knoow

Comment

I had Whitaker winning a close fight because of the knockdown

Comment

Imo this the the go to definition of what a draw is, neither man really won. I scored it 4× times now first time 7-5 Oscar second time 6-6 even
                      Third time 4 for Oscar 4 for Pernell and 4 even. Final time 6-6 even it's the hardest fight to score in history imo.

An let's not forget The Whithaker knockdown and point deduction to even it back out lol.
                      Last edited by Blue54; 06-06-2017, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X