No announcement yet.

Weight Displacement In Historical Matchups

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Displacement In Historical Matchups

Unfortunately, most current discussion regarding mythical matchups is unreasonable.

Look at it this way. We have a club called middleweight. This club used to be hard to get into, now it is easy. Oldtimers would say it is not even the same club anymore. They would have a point.

In the old days to get into the club you had to weigh 160 or less on the day of the fight. If you sweated off a lot of pounds you are probably going to lose the fight, pure and simple.

These days it can hardly be called an exclusive club anymore. Anyone who can sweat off 15 pounds and weigh 160 the day before the fight can now get in.

Hmmm, in the second scenario one's chances of winning because one sweated off 15 pounds increases instead of decreases.

That should tell us something huge, if we will only listen to our inner faculty of Reason.

The game of mythical matchups becomes too complex for the casually interested fan when played according to fair rules.

A first step is to categorize all so-called middleweight champions of history into two camps according to those we know could make the weight with same-day weigh-ins and those we know damned well couldn't. Those who we know couldn't, will have to fight their own mythical matchups a division higher.

The above would be done for every division to make things fair. This is far too complex for the casual fan, but I like it. I do not mind eliminating guys from mythical tournaments who could not make same-day weigh-ins, I think that is how it should be, in view of rule changes and other factors which have altered the historical landscape through displacement.

There are several things to know, which some forumers probably have insight into. For instance, how much weight can reasonably be put back on between the same-day weigh-in and the fight later that evening?

Secondly, exactly when did day-before weigh-ins come into being? Of course this will not be all at once, as various orgs straggled aboard. But what are the rough dates, so we can tell who they affect in our culling?

Danny Jacobs, for instance, could not fight SRR in a middleweight mythical matchup, because Jacobs could not make 160 on the day of the fight unless he wants to die in the ring from punches his dehydration allows to do more damage, but GGG could fight SRR, because GGG is a middleweight by the classic standards. GGG could make 160 the day of the fight without further jeopardizing his health.

It would probably be easy to think of some other huge middleweights who would no longer be middleweights, mythically, though they might even be a current champion. We just need the dates and who was given this break.

I figure we have the manpower on this site to know all of these things, and perhaps even to construct a new historical venue that is more fair and accurate.

To begin with, I guess we could allow every middleweight up to and including Monzon, who actually looked bigger than he was at 5' 11 1/2". If any of these oldsters had to super-sweat, it apparently did not affect their health--even LaMotta who was probably one of the sweatingest middleweight champions of old and remained clear headed past 90 years of age.

The so-called middleweights (some of them actually champions) we will be forced to cast out of the division for mytical purposes (and do not forget, to be fair, which is our main reason, after all) is going to be a much more difficult task which will psychologically tell on us. We will resist our own impulses at every turn. This is how used we have become to the built-in disparities and unfairness which have senselessly governed all mythcial discussions for decades now. No one said it would be easy.

For instance, there is a better configuration of keys on a typewriter keyboard that allows for greater speed. The current arrangment of keys came about as a result of experimentation. On early models of the newly-invented typewriter the arms became entangled quite often. This was a real problem which efficiency experts of the time set about solving. The solution consisted in a different arrangement of the keys, which minimized arm entanglememnt.

Presto. We move ahead 150 years. We no longer have those pesky arms to worry about, while keyboards are now ubiquitous in our daily lives, yet the same arrangement of keys prevails. Just try and change it. No matter that experiment after experiment has proven other arrangements are more efficient. We are creatures of habit.

We will run into the same kind of resistance with our new mythical weight categories, never mind that they are more efficient and historically fair, for we are creatures of habit who love our familiarities. For how many decades now has the U.S. been trying to convert to metric? Apparently that is an effort which will require at least a century to complete.

Fact is, though, some of these so called middleweights have to go, if we are ever to have a fair mythical arena.

Now can anyone, or would anyone care to name at least one middleweight who simply has to go under these new parameters for mythical matchups by weight division (or old ones, I guess)?
    Last edited by The Old LefHook; 04-11-2017, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Interesting subject... though it probably requires first hand knowledge to "weed out" those modern middleweight champions, who most likely wouldn't be able to make 160 lbs (without weakening themselves too much) on a same day weigh-in.

Kelly Pavlik, for example, was a pretty big middleweight... but would he have found it difficult to make middleweight on the day of a fight? I don't know.

Chavez Jr., on the other hand, I'm pretty sure would have found it VERY difficult to weigh in under 160lbs for his middleweight title fights - if he had been required to do so on fight day. If we're talking about middleweight champions who should be "disqualified" from taking part in dream matches against "real" middleweights... then he must be a prime candidate, imo.

Comment

I believe same-day weigh in ended back in the early 80's when Spinks refused to get in the ring with Mustapha Muhammad after he came in overweight. Spinks stood his ground and said he did everything he was supposed to do to make weight but Muhammad did not. Shortly after the rules changed to day before weigh-ins. It was basically a way for fighters to manipulate the weight classes and promoters being able to let the fight go on as scheduled.

I don't think the same day weigh-ins will do much to change anything. I think rehydration clauses are more effective. Get on the scale an hour before the fight, if you are X amount of pounds over the weight limit you lose your title, give up a significant amount of your purse and face a possible suspension. That's how you fix the weight issue.

Comment

I feel there are different ways the problem could be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
            I believe same-day weigh in ended back in the early 80's when Spinks refused to get in the ring with Mustapha Muhammad after he came in overweight. Spinks stood his ground and said he did everything he was supposed to do to make weight but Muhammad did not. Shortly after the rules changed to day before weigh-ins. It was basically a way for fighters to manipulate the weight classes and promoters being able to let the fight go on as scheduled.

I don't think the same day weigh-ins will do much to change anything. I think rehydration clauses are more effective. Get on the scale an hour before the fight, if you are X amount of pounds over the weight limit you lose your title, give up a significant amount of your purse and face a possible suspension. That's how you fix the weight issue.
            well its obviously not good if you're a fighter shedding 15 lbs , rehydrating, then fighting all in the same day. weight shedding was gonna happen regardless, so it makes sense to protect the health of the fighters. same day weigh ins today would be suicidal

Comment

Originally posted by mynameismyname View Post
              well its obviously not good if you're a fighter shedding 15 lbs , rehydrating, then fighting all in the same day. weight shedding was gonna happen regardless, so it makes sense to protect the health of the fighters. same day weigh ins today would be suicidal
              I think there is a way around it. There have to be dehyradration clauses in the contracts and rehydration clauses. That would take care of it. Huge fines if a fighter does not stay within the guidelines. Fines to the camp also. A few canceled contests and some large fines and the problem would be over. The orgs in charge can do anything they want. They can raise the pitcher's mound in baseball, they can change rules anytime they please.

The problem is solvable, I believe, and in a constructive manner.
              Last edited by The Old LefHook; 04-14-2017, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Agree with the OP. Boxing today includes not only the timeless ring skills, but also an additional skill that plays a huge role in determining who wins: Weight gamesmanship. It's all about gaming the weight. Why did Jacobs blow off the IBF weigh-in against Golovkin, who still had to show up and follow the rules? Because it gave Jacobs a chance to recover and rehydrate to the max after all that effort to make the (very early) day-before weigh-in.

And in a world without a meaningful title and millions of belts, if you're a Canelo with built-in fans no matter wha you do, you can just negotiate your own ideal fights, every single fight being based on Weight Gamesmanship as the whole point, the whole strategy.

The fix would be going back to single titles and same day weigh-ins.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
                  Agree with the OP. Boxing today includes not only the timeless ring skills, but also an additional skill that plays a huge role in determining who wins: Weight gamesmanship. It's all about gaming the weight. Why did Jacobs blow off the IBF weigh-in against Golovkin, who still had to show up and follow the rules? Because it gave Jacobs a chance to recover and rehydrate to the max after all that effort to make the (very early) day-before weigh-in.

And in a world without a meaningful title and millions of belts, if you're a Canelo with built-in fans no matter wha you do, you can just negotiate your own ideal fights, every single fight being based on Weight Gamesmanship as the whole point, the whole strategy.

The fix would be going back to single titles and same day weigh-ins.
                  Excellent post, sir. I believe you see it.

Comment

Working...
                  X