No announcement yet.

What if Ali was never exiled?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
    What if Ali didn't get banned from boxing? Or, alternatively, what if Ali didn't get drafted at all? How would things have been different?
    I think there wouldnt have been a series with frazier

Ali lost his sharpness....the multi punch combos, his flexibility at the waist, and ability to move 12-15 rounds

around 1966 he was coming into his own as a fighter. He was filling out.

Vs George Chuvalo he showed how tough he was and skilled. He was so damn ****y.

IMO Ali would have won the first fight and probably would have ended up retiring around 1975

with activity you can maintain your sharpness

its a shame we never got to see ali at his absolute best...27-29 years old

Comment

The exile is part of what made Ali as great as he was, overall as a figure. His conscientious objection was a bold, principled move. And he used his time "off" very well.

He lost his peak boxing years, but who knows. He may have become a smarter fighter as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
        The exile is part of what made Ali as great as he was, overall as a figure. His conscientious objection was a bold, principled move. And he used his time "off" very well.

He lost his peak boxing years, but who knows. He may have become a smarter fighter as well.
        Age forces fighters to be smarter. He displayed depths in the ring no one expected. During his layoff is when the peak would have manifested. There would likely be several more highlight reels to rival his Williams performance. There is no other heavyweight champion who displayed the same degree of adaptability as him, and they all had their chances without interrupted primes.

Just his comeback career alone is possibly the greatest career of any single heavyweight, considering who he faced, how he came back from what might have been will-crushing defeats, and how he did this on 80% of himself. It staggers the imagination that any athlete could ascend to the top of the 1970's heap on 80% of himself, when you examine that heap.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
          Ali of the 70's would not remotely struggle with Cooper ,Chuvalo or have a hard time with Mildenberger a 190 pounder who wasnt a power puncher that cut easy who Ali said was the toughest fight he had in the 1960's!

Maybe you think ALL of Foreman s trainers are liars who said Foreman was better in his 40's ? Did they make it up ? I guess so if you think an inferior version of Foreman is better than a superior one .. lol

Is Ali and Foreman liars when stating they were both better in their come backs? NO

Yes the 1970's fighter were by FAR better than Alis 1960's opponents ,thats a joke to even challenge that ! On this alone Ali would have had to adjust his skill sets to WIN ..this is common sense !

Does a life long Boxing journalist not know about his favorite fighter Ali better than you who picks Frazier over him style wise? YES

Do you not have to CONVINCINLY beat the Champion in ANY close fight? YES

Yes these are FACTS !
          Stop trying to bait me troll

Comment

Originally posted by muslimer12 View Post
            He wants to attach himself to you, moslemer12. He likes you plenty.

Comment

I dont have to BAIT , everything YOU said i practically corrected !

Just one word "PARAGRAPHS"it doesnt take an education to string five sentances together and then seperate them . At least when you are wrong it will look more legit and maybe more ppl will respond , reading GLOBS is a sure way to pass over a comment.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                I dont have to BAIT , everything YOU said i practically corrected !

Just one word "PARAGRAPHS"it doesnt take an education to string five sentances together and then seperate them . At least when you are wrong it will look more legit and maybe more ppl will respond , reading GLOBS is a sure way to pass over a comment.
                You put a space before a period..... Also i still dont know why you keep saying Ali has to beat the champion frazier, when frazier wasnt champion lol you do realize frazier lost the championship to foreman before the second fight with Ali right?

Comment

You put a space before a period..... Also i still dont know why you keep saying Ali has to beat the champion frazier, when frazier wasnt champion lol you do realize frazier lost the championship to foreman before the second fight with Ali right?
                  True about Frazier losing to Foreman ,the second Ali fight was for the NABF title ,regardless wouldnt change my view of that fight. As a matter of fact Frazier after losing to Foreman then imop actually out doing Ali in the rematch only supports that Frazier would defeat Ali the majority of the time ,had Ali fought Frazier in the late 60's he would not have the mystique of invincibility though not sure why he had based on his competition . One can easily say once Ali fought better competition he lost . You cant take away what Ali accomplished in the 60's but in my book there was truly no dominant fighter that dominated as champion in the 70's except Holmes even for just two years no one beat him.
                  Last edited by juggernaut666; 06-10-2016, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Maybe he wouldn't have been as great as was. To be a great fighter, you have to have great opponents. The argument could be put forth that had Ali not been exiled, he would have fought Joe Frazier before 1971. That would be at a time where Ali would be at the absolute peak of physical power and Frazier would have been much less of a developed fighter.

So this might have meant that the Ali-Frazier fight of course would never be a battle of champions and it is possible (likely?) that Ali would have won in lopsided fashion.

In other Words we would probably have been robbed of the 3 epic Frazier fights and Joe would just have been an opponent on Ali's resume.

Same argument could be put forth for the Foreman fight. Had Ali been the champion, he would not have had that fantastic underdog story that he had for the rumble in the jungle.

Comment

I agree! ^^^^^

You can't change one thing without it affecting other things.
                      Last edited by Zaroku; 06-22-2016, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X