No announcement yet.

Knockout King Young Stribling

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knockout King Young Stribling

Born 12-26-1904 Young Stribling knocked out 125 opponents only Archie Moore can claim more .Stribling's mother said she wanted a boxer and started to roll him on the bed like a lump of dough as a baby .At the age of two she started him on leg and arm exercises which may have been the begining of his freakish power.A bantamweight at age sixteen, Stribling added bulk steadily.He fought sucssfully as a middleweight then in 1923 was matched with lightheavyweight champion Mike McTigue in a non-title bout.Their first fight was a draw but in the rematch Stribling knocked McTigue down in the tenth round. Unlucky Stribling was only given a "newspaper win" because New Jersey only counted a knockout as a win.
    Stribling beat hall of famer Tommy Loughran twise in 1924, and was a rated second at light heavyweight that year. He would remain in the top ten at either light heavy or heavyweight untill 1931 and was the top heavy in 1928 . In 1926 he met Paul Berlenbach for the lightheavy crown but was over trained and tired fast, he lost by 15. Stribling had a problem with following up when he had his man hurt which showed when he had Jack Sharkey hurt and on the run,Jack would go on to win the fight . Jim Corbett said he was the best feinter he had ever saw with his "buckshot" punch a right to the jaw following a right-left fieint.Stribling had one more title shot in 1931 fighting Max Schmeling . Stribling was hurt by ten and was knocked out in fifteen with only 14 seconds left in the fight,Stribling again claimed to have over trained.
    Stribling's last fight was a win over Maxie Rosenbloom in 1933.In October of that year ,he was hit by a car while riding his motorcycle home from a round of golf.He died in the hospital 2 days later .10-2-1933
    Young Stribling was right-handed 5'11 1/2 172lbs he was from Bainbridge,CA known as the KING OF THE CANEBRAKES. [WON 221] [LOST 12] [DRAW 14] [TB 285] [KO's 125] [W 93] [WF 3] [KO'D 1] [L 9] [LF 2] [ND 36] [NC 2] ,,,hall of fame induction 1996.. time fought 1/17/1921-9/22/1933
    http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=12052
    Last edited by THE REAL NINJA; 04-28-2006, 11:27 AM.

Great post! It's nice to see some appreciation for such a great fighter.

Comment

Damn impressive career......I had never heard of the guy.It is nice to learn something new everyday.

Comment

Stribling was a very good fighter and it's a shame his life was cut short so early.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles
          Stribling was a very good fighter and it's a shame his life was cut short so early.
          yeah 285 fights in only 12 years of fighting that's somewhere around 23 fights a year

Comment

I have about a ten minute clip of Stribling's fight with Schmeling, so if anybody wants it I'll gladly upload it for you(s)...Just say the word.

Comment

Well he has a ton of knockouts, but not a high knockout percentage, so he wasn't THAT powerful...

Comment

Originally posted by supaduck
                Well he has a ton of knockouts, but not a high knockout percentage, so he wasn't THAT powerful...
                he had a problem with finishing he didnnt want to kill people in there..lots of fighters have had the same problem late. [max bear] is one of the hardest hitters ever but had the same thing

Comment

Knockout % is just a general indication of power and is often deceptive. There were hard hitters with modest KO percentages like Dick Tiger and guys with awesome KO %'s who weren't big punchers like Vitali Klitschko.

Also Yogi, I'd love to see that clip.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles
                    Also Yogi, I'd love to see that clip.
                    No problem, Kid...I'm in the midst of heading out the door for a little while, but give me an hour or two and I'll shoot you a PM with that clip included in it.

Comment

Working...
                    X