Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Roberto Duran the best lightweight of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RockyMarciano
    Oh yeah Roberto duran was the man!!! but saying he was the best is kinda hard to do...no mas?....the best dont give up!!

just my opinion

yeah there wewre reasons for that though according to Duran I posted this the opther day but cant remember where.

Allegedly according to Roberto he had dodgy guts running up to the fight and if you watch the fight Lenoard bangs in with some pretty heavy duty body shots beofre the stoppage.

Duran reckons one more and he may well have covered the front two rows in ****. Forced with the option of quitting or crapping himself on Worldwide Tv and live in front of 20 odd thousand people, he chose to quit.

no brainer really.

not sure how much is true but ive heard this from more than one source and coivered in more than one or two biogs..

fight wasnt at lightweight anyway so its immaterial when judging how he was as a lightwieght.

Comment

JPW, I hear you on that, buddy. I've been following this sport for about 30 years now, read a ton, and watched plenty of great fighters from the past...so I guess I should give some of these guys the benefit of the doubt. Here though, if some of them want to read up on a couple of other strong candidates for that "greatest lightweight" title, I present these two articles on Benny Leonard and Joe Gans. A great boxing history lesson courtesy of an excellant boxing historian by the name of Monte Cox (member of the IBRO);

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/gans.html

and;

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/bleonard.html

I hope some of these guys read those articles!

Comment

that is fine...he still quit...he quit!!!!! you know how duran had that attitude how he was the best....as well as tyson....any fighter with that attitude looses..what do we hear??? excuses......wether it be " i had to take a ****" by duran...or "i broke my back" "my leg got hurt " from tyson.....the "badasses" lose we hear excuses...that is all that is...but if you think his bowels had something to do with it thats fine to....i guess you could say sugar really beat the **** out of him LMAO

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi
          JPW, I hear you on that, buddy. I've been following this sport for about 30 years now, read a ton, and watched plenty of great fighters from the past...so I guess I should give some of these guys the benefit of the doubt. Here though, if some of them want to read up on a couple of other strong candidates for that "greatest lightweight" title, I present these two articles on Benny Leonard and Joe Gans. A great boxing history lesson courtesy of an excellant boxing historian by the name of Monte Cox (member of the IBRO);

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/gans.html

and;

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/bleonard.html

I hope some of these guys read those articles!

nice articles, likewise mate theres so much stuff to read and get on with. I must admit that I never travel withouth some boxing book in my bag of some despcritoion that and boxing news.

gets me through the rush hour train system in London, in fact I was reading about ted kid lewis the other and missed my stop by 3 stops (bout 15 mins) took me f-king ages to get home

Comment

Even though Duran quit against Leonard, that fight was at Welterweight, so it shouldn't factor as him being an all-time great Lightweight. I don't believe that story about him needing to take a **** or whatever. I think he just got frustrated and didn't want to chase Leonard around the ring. He's still the greatest Lightweight ever.

Comment

Roberto Duran is ONE OF the greatest lightweights ever!!! But he is NOT THE best of all time. It is completely illogical to make a statement like that when you haven't seen enough of (or at all) the other greats to make an intelligent comparison!

Comment

I rank duran very high and I think of those that came after only whitaker might have beaten him

but i think that a fight with mosley would be very competitive

now we see mosley losing at 147-154 but mosley at 135 was quite different:

he had speed, skill, power, size, chin I doubt that anyone would stop him at 135, much less in 5 rounds

Comment

Every Ali has his Frazier and every Robinson his LaMotta. There is no doubt that there were fighters that would give Duran a run for his money and possibly beat him. With studs like Leonard, Gans, Williams, and Armstrong, who could argue otherwise. But i'll say this, for me, i wouldn't put my money anyone against Duran in a 5 fight series at lightweight.

Comment

I personally wasn't too impressed with Mosley at 135. Of course, his Robinson-esque blend of speed, power, and boxing skill was mind boggling, but his resume wasn't. He didn't beat anyone to prove to me that he should be named along side Duran, Leonard, Gans, etc.

Comment

Armstrong held the feather light and welter weight belts all at the same time in a spand of 10 months fugging amazing. oh yea the best dont give up right?

Comment

Working...
                      X