Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Roberto Duran the best lightweight of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightweight Pernell Whitaker.
    Last edited by TheGreatA; 02-05-2008, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• duran the best 135 pounder ever

Comment

• I believe so.

Comment

• It's between Duran and Whitaker but I give the edge to Duran.

Comment

• Yes he is.

The top 3 IMO are...

1, Duran
            2, Mosley
            3, Whitaker

Comment

• "HBO commentator and world champion Roy Jones Jr. proclaimed, after Mosley knocked out John John Molina, "He's the best lightweight in history, maybe after Roberto Duran."

Comment

• Its chocking to hear that no one even mentioned Benny Leonard most experts find either him or Roberto Duran to be the greatest lightweight ever

Comment

• Originally posted by SweetScience93 View Post
                  Its shocking to hear that no one even mentioned Benny Leonard most experts find either him or Roberto Duran to be the greatest lightweight ever
                  That same argument could me made for Joe Gans. Leonard was (is) undoubtedly the best "pure boxer" of the division, while Durán retains the overall edge. Durán's boxing ability - limited though it might be compared to Leonard - is in evidence against Davey Moore.
                  Last edited by Panamaniac; 10-08-2011, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuggers1986 View Post
                    "HBO commentator and world champion Roy Jones Jr. proclaimed, after Mosley knocked out John John Molina, "He's the best lightweight in history, maybe after Roberto Duran."
                    Whoopedy doo. His resume is pathetic at LW. He's not top 10.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
                      Intelligent and concise analysis, as usual. However, I would beg to differ on your classification of Sweet Pea. I have a personal blind spot to defense-oriented-counter-punching boxers. My bias favors fighters who run with the wolves; fighters who take the offensive initiative.

I would never rate the Benitez, the Byrds and the Whitakers of the boxing world - no matter how skillful - in the top echelon of any category, except for when the overiding criterion is defense. As for the lightweights, I would place Joe Gans in the third slot behind Duran and Leonard (Benny, that is).
                      I think we all know why you wouldn't rate Benitez.

Comment

Working...
                      X