Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holmes vs Lewis resume

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The eastern assassin was a dangerous fighter.
    He was Ali's sparring partner and his ringcraft was excellent.
    Lewis had an unstoppable over hand right and a wonderful stalking composure.
    Holmes would have scored more points but lewis would always have the chance of ending the contest in later rounds with a big right hand.
    Too hard to call.
    Maybe lewis 3 out of 5 wins

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Nick View Post
      The eastern assassin was a dangerous fighter.
      He was Ali's sparring partner and his ringcraft was excellent.
      Lewis had an unstoppable over hand right and a wonderful stalking composure.
      Holmes would have scored more points but lewis would always have the chance of ending the contest in later rounds with a big right hand.
      Too hard to call.
      Maybe lewis 3 out of 5 wins
      Nothing to do with the thread....which was who had the better resume not who could beat who, another brainiac here... must be a Corso!

And to answer this...Lewis did.

He had the better talented fighters to deal with.Holmes had the Spinks and Cooneys...Lewis had The Mercers and Holyfields, even Tyson out of his prime.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
        Nothing to do with the thread....which was who had the better resume not who could beat who, another brainiac here... must be a Corso!

And to answer this...Lewis did.

He had the better talented fighters to deal with.Holmes had the Spinks and Cooneys...Lewis had The Mercers and Holyfields, even Tyson out of his prime.
        There isn't a lot of difference between their resumes, honestly.

Vitali is the win that gives Lewis the edge, but outside of that it's close.

Ruddock - Cooney
        Bruno - Smith
        Faded Tucker - Snipes
        Morrison - prime Williams
        Mercer - Berbick
        Golota - Witherspoon
        Briggs - Shavers
        McCall - Roy Williams
        Holyfield - Norton
        Rahman - Weaver
        Tua - Mercer (The one Holmes fought)
        Shot Tyson - Tex Cobb

Pretty close if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pugilist_Spec View Post
          There isn't a lot of difference between their resumes, honestly.

Vitali is the win that gives Lewis the edge, but outside of that it's close.

Ruddock - Cooney
          Bruno - Smith
          Faded Tucker - Snipes
          Morrison - prime Williams
          Mercer - Berbick
          Golota - Witherspoon
          Briggs - Shavers
          McCall - Roy Williams
          Holyfield - Norton
          Rahman - Weaver
          Tua - Mercer (The one Holmes fought)
          Shot Tyson - Tex Cobb

Pretty close if you ask me.
          Ruddock was far more dangerous from 90 to 95 than Cooney ever could be .The Tyson that Lewis fought would obliterate Cobb .

Add in huge athletic guys like Grant and a prime Briggs who both would beat the Witherspoons of the 80's ,his win over the highly difficult Vitali Klitchko and its a wrap, Bruno who i would also take over Shavers as well as just about all heavy hitters that Lewis defeated.

Many resumes are similar ...... thats a fine line. Lewis to me has the best resume in HW history even without Bowe on it.
          Last edited by juggernaut666; 04-02-2016, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Ruddock was far more dangerous from 90 to 95 than Cooney ever could be .The Tyson that Lewis fought would obliterate Cobb .

Add in huge athletic guys like Grant and a prime Briggs who both would beat the Witherspoons of the 80's ,his win over the highly difficult Vitali Klitchko and its a wrap, Bruno who i would also take over Shavers as well as just about all heavy hitters that Lewis defeated.

Many resumes are similar ...... thats a fine line. Lewis to me has the best resume in HW history even without Bowe on it.
            I think you're short-selling Holmes resume here, especially Witherspoon who would be the best guy Lewis fought outside of Vitali and maybe Holyfield.

I'd agree with Lewis having the best resume with the exception of Ali maybe, but Holmes is close.

Comment

Originally posted by Pugilist_Spec View Post
              I think you're short-selling Holmes resume here, especially Witherspoon who would be the best guy Lewis fought outside of Vitali and maybe Holyfield.

I'd agree with Lewis having the best resume with the exception of Ali maybe, but Holmes is close.
              Im not short selling anything im comparing them.Lewis clearly fiought better fighters and harder fighters to get wins off of. Holmes also fought shorter guys much more effective he did not like punching eye or above shoulder level.The 90's guys were not only taller on average but had more girth than a 215 like a Witherspoon as well...notice I didn't use SIZE to lead on the cry babies....lol

Withspoon was just awkward and I wouldn't put him ahead of Spinks.Who did witherspoon exactly beat to make such a statement ?Didn't Bonecrusher crush him? Just cause he hit hard . The 90's guys were all around more solid than Timmy. I certainly wouldn't even put himover Chris Byrd who was a modern Witherspoon of sorts.

Im not even going to get into how falsified strong Alis resume actually is...its a losing battle on this forum so im not even going there,i'll let be!
              Last edited by juggernaut666; 04-02-2016, 02:42 PM.

Comment

A decisive turn for me to favor Holmes record over Lennox is Lennox being KO'd by Rahman and McCall. With in a 14 month span Oliver destroys Lennox and then barely gets by an old Holmes in his 65 bout (guessing) it was a one point win on the cards!
                They both fought very game competition but Lennox has only 43 bouts and Holmes had 75, that's a very big margin when you consider activity and applying your craft. Granted he fought to far beyond his best but great fighters fight on, its who they are! Their not bankers, lawyers or politicians.

Holmes is a top 6 competitor and Lewis could be also but I like him and his chin from number 9 to 15 better.

Ray

Comment

Holmes definitely had the better chin.
                  Lennox had a habit of getting careless and getting KO'd, thats a valid point Ray.

Comment

Withspoon was just awkward and I wouldn't put him ahead of Spinks.
                    Witherspoon is definitely ahead of Spinks who has a paper thin resume ay HW.

Who did witherspoon exactly beat to make such a statement ?Didn't Bonecrusher crush him? Just cause he hit hard .
                    I imagine you aren't too knowledgeable on Witherspoons career, because his resume blows most of Lewis opponents out of the water.

He beat Snipes and gave Holmes a good tussle in his 15th pro fight. He beat Tillis, and then Page for the WBC title. He easily decisioned Smith and beat Tubbs for the WBA title. Defended the title against Bruno and destroyed him.

Then it was all downhill for him. He had a feud with Don King and allegedly agreed to take a dive against Smith and give up his belt, to relinquish his contract with King. This makes sense as he easily beat Smith the first time around.

At this point it was pretty much over, Don King isolated him from title contention and he lost motivation, turning in one mediocre performance after another.

He had somewhat of a renaissance in the mid 90s when he destroyed CW champion Alfred Cole and Jorge Luis Gonzalez which got him back into the top 10. He fought Mercer and lost a decision, although Ray admitted he got a gift.

One of the biggest what ifs in heavyweight history.

. The 90's guys were all around more solid than Timmy. I certainly wouldn't even put himover Chris Byrd who was a modern Witherspoon of sorts!
                    I don't see the Byrd comparison. Witherspoon was one of the most complete fighters I've ever seen. He had a strong offense, cagey defense and good boxing skill. He could do a bit of everything. Watch him in the first Smith fight, the way he shuts him out, slips most of his shots and nearly KOs him with his trademark overhand right. Or just watch the way he cold-****ed 250 lb Anders Ecklund.

Comment

Terrible Tim in shape mentally & physically is a handful for ANY heavyweight!
                      pug_spec is right on about Tim, fans think its easy to be a champion. Not everyone makes the right decisions and not everyone has good people backing them up! This is a brutal game and most times the ring is the safest place for most fighters! Your opponents in front of you and the only others that can screw you are the guy on the side (ref) or the 3 moops at ring side holding your fate with paper & pen!

Tim was a dangerous man when right!
                      Ray

Comment

Working...
                      X