Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opportunist Champions - Lennox, Tyson, Floyd

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to play into sonnys game here...but I would say Lewis finally giving vitali a shot that he neglected 4 times.....Lewis knowing he was training for a bigger stronger guy than vitali and having the experience would give him an advantage on 2/3 weeks notice to vitali.....he openly admitted this stating the exp.edge gives him the advantage on short notice becuase of his experience and the time off helped him heal ,this was a week before the fight . I do think the out come may have been different had vitali been properly prepared as I have to agree with lewis the overall experience certainly gave him an advantage at THAt time.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
      yeah king may have been the one of the people that said that but dundee was also very familiar with Duran blowing up before fights if it was kings motivation to make money after Duran lost a decision and promote a third fight that backfired
      Yeah. Duran admitted he figured there would be a third fight right after when he quit. I wish it would have happened then rather than nearly ten years later. By then, there was no point.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
        Not to play into sonnys game here...but I would say Lewis finally giving vitali a shot that he neglected 4 times.....Lewis knowing he was training for a bigger stronger guy than vitali and having the experience would give him an advantage on 2/3 weeks notice to vitali.....he openly admitted this stating the exp.edge gives him the advantage on short notice becuase of his experience and the time off helped him heal ,this was a week before the fight . I do think the out come may have been different had vitali been properly prepared as I have to agree with lewis the overall experience certainly gave him an advantage at THAt time.
        I have to disagree on the different outcome. Had the cut not happened, Vitali was going to win. I thought it was so strange too, since I never saw him cut in another fight. He was ahead on points and consistently landed on Lewis over and over. This wasn't a Rachman or McCall type situation.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
          Yeah. Duran admitted he figured there would be a third fight right after when he quit. I wish it would have happened then rather than nearly ten years later. By then, there was no point.
          yeah roberto made a rash decision which affected the rest of his life. Its kinda of interesting in that documentary made about the duran leonard rivalry that leonard dominated the perspective that no mas haunted him and he was searching for answers yet he is very honest in other books and articles that it was tactics in scheduling the rematch knowing durans celbratory habits between fights. At least they allowed in the outtakes in that documentary to show duran ask leonard why he was not denied a rematch for the third fight when he was young. Leonard simply replied to robertos question because I could (deny) I do not think the public would have bought into a quick third fight anyhow . In my mind Ray Leonard is a fantastic fighter and was very courageous but crafty in the timing of his challenges such as the timing of his fight with marvin. Duran just fought and sometimes in very poor condition and some of the results of fights illustrate this over and over.

Comment

yeah roberto made a rash decision which affected the rest of his life. Its kinda of interesting in that documentary made about the duran leonard rivalry that leonard dominated the perspective that no mas haunted him and he was searching for answers yet he is very honest in other books and articles that it was tactics in scheduling the rematch knowing durans celbratory habits between fights. At least they allowed in the outtakes in that documentary to show duran ask leonard why he was not denied a rematch for the third fight when he was young. Leonard simply replied to robertos question because I could (deny) I do not think the public would have bought into a quick third fight anyhow . In my mind Ray Leonard is a fantastic fighter and was very courageous but crafty in the timing of his challenges such as the timing of his fight with marvin. Duran just fought and sometimes in very poor condition and some of the results of fights illustrate this over and over.
            They are two different types.

I link Duran to guys like James Toney who would fight in-shape, out-of-shape, on a good night, on a bad night, against the right opponent, against the wrong opponent. Hell, just whatever. They just fight.

I link Leonard to Mayweather who liked to strategize about when to fight certain guys. They look at timing outside the ring as important as inside the ring.

I don't have anything against either way. I thought Duran took some fights that were pointless and poorly planned out while Leonard made great moves in that area until Norris and Camacho. Don't know what he was thinking in either case.

I guess overall, I like a happy medium. Fight the best, but pick your spots. Of course I guess the main motivator for it all is $$$ anyway.

Comment

They are two different types.

I link Duran to guys like James Toney who would fight in-shape, out-of-shape, on a good night, on a bad night, against the right opponent, against the wrong opponent. Hell, just whatever. They just fight.

I link Leonard to Mayweather who liked to strategize about when to fight certain guys. They look at timing outside the ring as important as inside the ring.

I don't have anything against either way. I thought Duran took some fights that were pointless and poorly planned out while Leonard made great moves in that area until Norris and Camacho. Don't know what he was thinking in either case.

I guess overall, I like a happy medium. Fight the best, but pick your spots. Of course I guess the main motivator for it all is $$$ anyway.

interesting comparison Leonard and may weather not knowing floyds career as i do rays did floyd every take a fight were he was the underdog like hearns 1 or hagler in leonards case......

as for leonard choices on norris was it wise to come down in weight after a layoff....proved not to be

the camacho fight is interesting because i have seen two different commentaries of Camacho Duran 1 and leonard actually said duran was jobbed.....he used Duran hagler as a barometer in his challenge of marvin and
              that case his timing was right.....when he fought Camacho he calculated wrong

Comment

interesting comparison Leonard and may weather not knowing floyds career as i do rays did floyd every take a fight were he was the underdog like hearns 1 or hagler in leonards case......

as for leonard choices on norris was it wise to come down in weight after a layoff....proved not to be

the camacho fight is interesting because i have seen two different commentaries of Camacho Duran 1 and leonard actually said duran was jobbed.....he used Duran hagler as a barometer in his challenge of marvin and
                that case his timing was right.....when he fought Camacho he calculated wrong
                The timing for Hagler was perfect. I thought that was one of Leonard's finest fights.

Duran was jobbed in the first Camacho fight. The commentators all agreed and were stunned when the decision was announced.

And Leonard was definitely brave against Hearns in that first fight and proved more than Mayweather ever did for sure.

Comment

The timing for Hagler was perfect. I thought that was one of Leonard's finest fights.

Duran was jobbed in the first Camacho fight. The commentators all agreed and were stunned when the decision was announced.

And Leonard was definitely brave against Hearns in that first fight and proved more than Mayweather ever did for sure.
                  Leonard was studying marvin for years and I believe there were rumors that he actually prepared by having at least one fight without spectators with a ref and cornermen for both spar mates in preparation for his fight he actually used some elements of durans movements that affected Marvin's timing.
                  As for the first duran camacho fight duran did way better than i thought he would I thought at his age Hectors speed would be too much for him but he came in at 155 at age 45 or so and did very well. As you say the commentators were thinking duran won or a least it was close but the judges were watching a different fight and it scored heavily in hectors favor. Leonard courage was on display in the first duran fight as well,he was dropped twice by hearns in there second fight but finished strongly to rays credit even though the fight was ruled a draw he has said publicly that Tommy earned the win and people on this forum have echoed that.

Comment

Leonard was studying marvin for years and I believe there were rumors that he actually prepared by having at least one fight without spectators with a ref and cornermen for both spar mates in preparation for his fight he actually used some elements of durans movements that affected Marvin's timing.
                    As for the first duran camacho fight duran did way better than i thought he would I thought at his age Hectors speed would be too much for him but he came in at 155 at age 45 or so and did very well. As you say the commentators were thinking duran won or a least it was close but the judges were watching a different fight and it scored heavily in hectors favor. Leonard courage was on display in the first duran fight as well,he was dropped twice by hearns in there second fight but finished strongly to rays credit even though the fight was ruled a draw he has said publicly that Tommy earned the win and people on this forum have echoed that.
                    Oh yeah.

Leonard displayed plenty of courage many times in his career. This is why he is a legend.

Comment

Originally posted by - Ram Raid - View Post
                      Lennox's team took King and Tyson before the New Jersey Supreme Court who blocked Tyson's bid to fight Bruce Seldon ruling that he had an obligation to fight Lewis for the WBC strap. Team Tyson tried to have the ruling overturned. When that failed they paid Lennox 4 million dollars and gave a guarrentee that he'd fight Tyson for the WBC belt by 1st September if he stepped aside and allowed Tyson to fight Seldom for the WBA title. After beating Seldon Tyson relinquished the WBC belt rather than fulfill his obligation to fight Lewis.

Rather than your trolling assertion that Frank Warren craftily paid an injured Tszyu to enter a fight he couldn't win, Warren not only didn't want to make that bout but he didn't think Ricky would win it. After years of being fed sub par opponents for the WBU title Ricky forced Warren's hand into pitting him against a fighter he could test himself against.

Why you're permitted to troll in the history section is beyond me. Rather than being humorous, the fact that Elrod, boxingscene's biggest troll has just put you in your box, is indicative of the way that you have both insidiously brought a once decent section closer to your level.
                      LOL..........some howlers there

Comment

Working...
                      X