Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The AlexKid 'questions about punchers, chins, hiprotation etc.' superduper thread.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NChristo View Post
    A cross is a counter straight right hand that goes over the opponents jab, right hook / overhand right are usually recognized as the same punch, arcing rights hands that come over the top which is what he used.
    The cross goes over the opponents jab, always. On that I agree. But it can be curved or straight I believe.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      The cross goes over the opponents jab, always. On that I agree. But it can be curved or straight I believe.
      nope the curved one is an old school overhand punch at long range, yes it looks very much like a cross, loops over the top like a bridge

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
        nope the curved one is an old school overhand punch at long range, yes it looks very much like a cross, loops over the top like a bridge
        Hmm. I have the U.S. Naval Institute Boxing Manual from 1943 on my desk. It says:

"A right cross is a right hook crossed over the opponent's left jab. The blow itself is a right hook, the term "cross" referring to its use as a counter."

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          Hmm. I have the U.S. Naval Institute Boxing Manual from 1943 on my desk. It says:

"A right cross is a right hook crossed over the opponent's left jab. The blow itself is a right hook, the term "cross" referring to its use as a counter."
          Hmm I may be wrong on this.

Holy crap a right hook ive been throwing it like a straight right but with elbow out instead of in.

My arm unfolds and ends up straight.

Do you keep the elbow locked like with a hook punch?

Dafuq!?

Comment

• "The Right Cross

As the opponent leads a straight left, slip to the inside guard position by stepping forward and sideways with the left foot, weight shifting over the straight leg. Keep the right hand to the outside of the opponent's guard.

As the jab slips over the the right shoulder, the right arm, now in a half-bent position, is hooked over the opponent's lead and to the chin. The left hand is carried high and in a position of guard. The whole action must be performed as a unit. The hook is first over and then down.

Actually, the above description is the only correct performance of the right cross. However there are several variations that should be noted."

Comment

• What you described, AlexKid, seems to be one of the variations.

"As the opponent leads a left jab, raise the right elbow and drive a right to the outside of the head, and to his jaw. The blow is slipped by rocking the body slightly to the left without altering the position of the right arm. The arm, however, instead of remaining in a bent position is straightened at the finish of the counter. It is more of a straight cross, not carrying as much power, but requiring a greater ability to slip blows."

"Another so-called right cross is to slip the lead over the left shoulder by bending the body slightly to the right, then hooking a right to the chin. Actually the right hook does not cross the left lead, therefore technically speaking, it is not a right cross "

Comment

• Change the title, Shavers didn't KO Holmes only KD. Tyson did KO Holmes, but he had power like no-one else though.
                Last edited by jiopsi; 03-23-2016, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• Who had the best chin of all the "punchers" in history? Is it Ike?

Ike, Tua, Foreman, Bowe and Tyson all had very good power and chin

Tyson got KOed by Buster in his prime.

Bowe got knocked down by Holyfield who had medium level power

Foreman got wobbled and knocked down by Lyle, the Ali Ko was mostly exhaustion not a real loss of conciousness

Tua got knocked down but never out

IVE NEVER SEEN IKE HURT OR WOBBLED OR KNOCKED DOWN!

UNFORTUNATELY HE DIDNT FIGHT AS MUCH AS THE REST SO HES A BIT UNPROVEN.

BUT VS TUA IS SHOWED US ALOT. HE GOT HIT FULL POWER AND FLUSH, NO KO NOT EVEN A WOBBLE.

AGAINST BIRD A GOOD PUNCHER THE SAME.

DID IKE HAVE THE STRONGEST CHIN OF ALL THE PUNCHERS?

DID HE EVER EVEN GET WOBBLED?

Comment

• Marciano, down twice in his whole career both towards the end of his career.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
                      Marciano, down twice in his whole career both towards the end of his career.
                      Marciano was a LHW/Cruiser weight, 187 lbs, 13 odd stone, this question is for modern standard HW's only. 200 plus.

I agree p4p Marciano had stunning physical attributes!!
                      Last edited by AlexKid; 03-23-2016, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X