My WBA title fight 1989-03-16

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by enadeus
    25 pro fights in 8 years?
    In this matter the boxer fights the matches the team was given to him.
    Bad coaching and promotion, is what I think.
    And not so easy to find good sparring partners and boxers how wanted to fight him.

Quote from article by Crister Berge:

Anders Eklund
    “Was contracted to fight former world champion George Foreman in 1988, but Foreman pulled out when he was informed of the big Swede's size and build. Remember, this was at the early stages of George's comeback.”

“Here's a fighter whose career I followed closely as I was growing up. This giant of a man stood 6'6" and rarely weighed under 230 pounds.

Had excellent boxing skills and a decent right, but lacked a good defence and due to circumstances, his training was sometimes mediocre. During his entire career, he lived in Sweden, where pro boxing was banned. That was a fatal mistake.

Wasn't guarded the way that Ingemar Johansson was; in his fifth pro contest, Eklund faced Felipe Rodriguez, who only had four losses in 33 fights. Ingemar was brought along much more carefully.”
    Last edited by karlhugo; 04-10-2006, 06:01 AM.

Comment

=====“Was contracted to fight former world champion George Foreman in 1988, but Foreman pulled out when he was informed of the big Swede's size and build. Remember, this was at the early stages of George's comeback.”========

** Well, George fought Gerry Cooney, so I doubt he was afraid of the size. Early in his comeback he was targeting Tyson sized fighters because that's who he really wanted. When that fight never materialized, he moved on to bigger prey.

Comment

Originally posted by catskills23
        i checked you record on boxrec Anders . You fought some big names like bruno, witherspoon and ferguson . What fighter hit you the hardest and why did you retire so soon?.
        Witherspoon ko'd him in 1 i expect him to say him.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonRingRules
          =====“Was contracted to fight former world champion George Foreman in 1988, but Foreman pulled out when he was informed of the big Swede's size and build. Remember, this was at the early stages of George's comeback.”========

** Well, George fought Gerry Cooney, so I doubt he was afraid of the size. Early in his comeback he was targeting Tyson sized fighters because that's who he really wanted. When that fight never materialized, he moved on to bigger prey.
          Well maybe not the size……………
          The team George Foreman maybe had a better tactic concerning how to choose a fight.
          Team Anders didn’t make a good job in that matter.
          That is what I think.

Comment

Originally posted by lillen
            Hejsan Karl Hugo otroligt kul att du kan hjälpa mig fast du är en tecknad gubbe!
            Tack för det Anders!

Även en tecknad gubbe som mig kan försöka hjälpa dig :-)

Even a cartoon character like me can try to help you :-)
            Last edited by karlhugo; 04-11-2006, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by catskills23
              i checked you record on boxrec Anders . You fought some big names like bruno, witherspoon and ferguson . What fighter hit you the hardest and why did you retire so soon?.
              which fighter hit you the hardest anders?.

Comment

Let's have some info Anders. I would be interested to hear about some of your fights! Was Bruno better than witherspoon???

Comment

lmao. he fought rick james.

Comment

Originally posted by catskills23 View Post
                    which fighter hit you the hardest anders?.
                    The hardest punch was definitely from Tim Whiterspoon! It was too difficult to train in Sweden because professional boxing is not aloud in Sweden!

Comment

didnt Tim Witherspoon drop u in the 1st round?
                      around 88'/89'/90'?

Comment

Working...
                      X