Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Felix Savon.

Olympic Gold 1992, 1996 and 2000.
    Pan Am Gold in 1987, 1991.
    World Champion 1986, 1989, 1991 and 1993.
    Amateur record of 358-17.
    Defeated pros Ray Mercer, Michael Bentt, Shannon Briggs, Danell Nicholson, David Tua, David Izonritei, Kirk Johnson and Andrew Golota.

Shannon Briggs fought Savon at the 1991 Pan Am Games. "I'll give Savon his credit," said Briggs. "He won the fight. But I think he took advantage of the system. He was a man fighting kids. That's the case with a lot of these Cuban fighters. They're 28, 29, 30 fighting kids, 19, 20, 21. That's a big advantage physically and mentally."

There has been much debate over what kind of pros Savon and Stevenson would have made. Don King once offered Savon $10 million to turn pro. His response was, "What do I need $10 million for when I have 11 million Cubans behind me."

What kind of pro do some of you guys think Savon would have made? i think Briggs had a point with his age remark.

Properly trained for the pro I don't see why he wouldn't have a great chance to be heavyweight World Champion.

Theres also another Cuban heavyweight that was once offered a lot of money to fight Ali or some other heavyweight, I forget his name though.

Comment

Originally posted by ferocity
      Properly trained for the pro I don't see why he wouldn't have a great chance to be heavyweight World Champion.

Theres also another Cuban heavyweight that was once offered a lot of money to fight Ali or some other heavyweight, I forget his name though.
      Yeah that was teofilo stevenson, the cubans really have a great production line of amatuer boxers, the current olympic heavyweight champ is cuban too i think, or it may be super heavy, i'm not sure. it would have been interesting to see how far they could have gone as pros.

Comment

Stevenson was great, but if Vysotsky could get to him, I'm sure Holmes and several other heavys could too.

Comment

Working...
        X