No announcement yet.

does any welter stop Ray Leonard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
    Sugar Ray stops Leonard once he gets him to stop running because he'd run!
    Trinidad would have a shot but his overall skills don't match up against Leonards very well. I do think Gavilan would have a shot even though he didn't bring big power he was relentless and a very awkward opponent. He had size to match Leonard and was the original Cuban styled fighter with punches coming from all angles. I always thought it would be a great match up!

I don't think of KO artists at 147lbs. the good ones wore you down and stopped you only Robinson had KO power with one shot! You could add Trinidad but he doesn't have the skills others have.

Leonard at 147 was a very good fighter a top ten welter for sure.
    Ray
    No there were other welters who had one punch KO power other than Robinson. Good call on Gavilan, he would have been a nightmare for Ray and he would beat Floyd Mayweather every day of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
      No there were other welters who had one punch KO power other than Robinson. Good call on Gavilan, he would have been a nightmare for Ray and he would beat Floyd Mayweather every day of the week.
      hearns being the one that comes to mind

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
        hearns being the one that comes to mind
        Sure but we all know the result so I think the thread is about who he didn't fight.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
          Sure but we all know the result so I think the thread is about who he didn't fight.
          cuevas who else most of the top notch welters were not any harder hitters than hearns

Comment

Originally posted by Mugwump View Post
            As good as Ray was, there are any number of heavy hitters at Welter over the years who could easily turn out his lights should he make a mistake (and I don't just mean champions).

In any case - Ray wasn't impossible to hit.
            Like who? I would be interested to know.

He already fought the hardest, or one of the hardest welterweight punchers in history - when he fought an undefeated Tommy Hearns, who on paper, would be one of the hardest WWs in the world to beat.

Sugar Adam Ali mentioned guys like Donald Curry and Tito Trinidad.. I mean. No. They were very good, but definitely not good enough to beat, let alone stop the great Ray Leonard.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
              Like who? I would be interested to know.

He already fought the hardest, or one of the hardest welterweight punchers in history - when he fought an undefeated Tommy Hearns, who on paper, would be one of the hardest WWs in the world to beat.

Sugar Adam Ali mentioned guys like Donald Curry and Tito Trinidad.. I mean. No. They were very good, but definitely not good enough to beat, let alone stop the great Ray Leonard.
              I tend to agree with you with the possible exception of robinson. Ray Leonard was could be reached but had a chin in his prime right up there with the elite of the division

Comment

Leonard was probably a top five all time welterweight. A good case can even be made for placing him at #2 behind Robinson. He will not get knocked out many days of the week by anyone at 147. The young man could handle himself.

Basilio. Some boxers simply do not stop attacking. If you are close enough to hit them that means they can hit you. The true swarmer, Basilio had good but not devastating power. I can see him shaking Leonard up a few times but not KO'ing him. Leonard himself was a dangerous fighter when in trouble.

It takes a fighter we have not seen the likes of (outside of Robinson) to KO Leonard anymore than haphazzardly. Even Robinson might have to settle for a decision most of the time.

There is a lot less evidence on the welterweight Mickey Walker. He had a lefhook that launched without a telegraph. The closest thing he might have faced to Leonard was Loughran at lightheavy. As he was against Loughran, it seems Walker might always be reaching for Leonard, reducing the steam on his shots.

You know what they say in football--any given team, any given night. There are guys who would beat Leonard, but most of the time he would beat them. There are those who could knock him cold with their perfect shot, but they will hardly ever land it.

By the time one reaches back to the likes of Barbados Joe Walcott, one is reduced in evidence to heresay and apochrypha--the words of a famous trainer or a grizzled opponent paying homage.

Leonard had an A grade chin, but not cast from the same magma as Chuvalo and Hagler.

One guy with a decent shot at KO'ing him was someone who actually did--Terry Norris--though Leonard was washed up when it happened. Norris had the kind of speed and one punch power that might have got the job done on Ray occasionally, even when Ray was more prime. Most of the time Norris would have got himself knocked out after hurting Leonard, but once in a while he might have landed a shot sufficient for a count out or a stoppage of the Marylander.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                  Leonard was probably a top five all time welterweight. A good case can even be made for placing him at #2 behind Robinson. He will not get knocked out many days of the week by anyone at 147. The young man could handle himself.

Basilio. Some boxers simply do not stop attacking. If you are close enough to hit them that means they can hit you. The true swarmer, Basilio had good but not devastating power. I can see him shaking Leonard up a few times but not KO'ing him. Leonard himself was a dangerous fighter when in trouble.

It takes a fighter we have not seen the likes of (outside of Robinson) to KO Leonard anymore than haphazzardly. Even Robinson might have to settle for a decision most of the time.

There is a lot less evidence on the welterweight Mickey Walker. He had a lefhook that launched without a telegraph. The closest thing he might have faced to Leonard was Loughran at lightheavy. As he was against Loughran, it seems Walker might always be reaching for Leonard, reducing the steam on his shots.

You know what they say in football--any given team, any given night. There are guys who would beat Leonard, but most of the time he would beat them. There are those who could knock him cold with their perfect shot, but they will hardly ever land it.

By the time one reaches back to the likes of Barbados Joe Walcott, one is reduced in evidence to heresay and apochrypha--the words of a famous trainer or a grizzled opponent paying homage.

Leonard had an A grade chin, but not cast from the same magma as Chuvalo and Hagler.

One guy with a decent shot at KO'ing him was someone who actually did--Terry Norris--though Leonard was washed up when it happened. Norris had the kind of speed and one punch power that might have got the job done on Ray occasionally, even when Ray was more prime. Most of the time Norris would have got himself knocked out after hurting Leonard, but once in a while he might have landed a shot sufficient for a count out or a stoppage of the Marylander.
                  I am going to have to reread Ray Leonards Biography as I do recall him claiming injury in the Camacho loss or just being over the hill. You bring up some great points in your post but some posters claim leonard was weakened coming down to jmw after being at middle and higher for the Norris fight.

Comment

Give Hagler another crack at him.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
                      I tend to agree with you with the possible exception of robinson. Ray Leonard was could be reached but had a chin in his prime right up there with the elite of the division
                      Sure - Ray Robinson is the only guy I could see stopping Ray.

But certainly not quite a few as he said.

Comment

Working...
                      X