10 Best Boxers Of All Time (all Divs)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

- -Why thank you...you're welcome!

Comment

Marciano has to be on there because he was the top ring general of all time, plus he could really take it and really dish it out. What else is there?

Rocky always had the plan that allowed him to impose his will, and he never failt to impose it in 49 fights. That is called ring generalship, folks, and it makes Rocky one of the best fighters of all time. Plus, believe it or not, he was also one of the best pure boxers of all time, for the reason already mentiont..

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
        For what I factor in: skill/talent, how they were relevant to their era (I don’t do mythical h2h at all), the chances they took, wow factor wins and or accomplishments, consistency, longevity. I do penalize modern era fighters comparing to old time if they do not become undisputed or at least unify the majority of there division and have no real challenge left, I do also factor in activity or lack of it. Modern guys fight once or twice a year which helps their longevity (as does juicing), performances against larger fighters factors in also as does dominance of individual divisions. I’m far more impressed by a lengthy and active undisputed title reign than trinket collecting. Accomplishments relative to era too like an undefeated record these days means nothing since a bunch of guys are doing it.

My top 20 looks something like:-

1. Sugar Ray Robinson
        2. Harry Greb
        3. Sam Langford
        4. Henry Armstrong
        5. Ezzard Charles
        6. Roberto Durán
        7. Benny Leonard
        8. Willie Pep
        9. Eder Jofre
        10. Micky Walker
        11. Joe Gans
        12. Archie Moore
        13. Bob Fitzsimmons
        14. Muhammad Ali
        15. Joe Louis
        16. Sugar Ray Leonard
        17. Jimmy Wilde
        18. Gene Tunney
        19. Barney Ross
        20. Tony Canzoneri

Honorable mentions: Jimmy McLarnin, Packey Macfarland, Terry McGovern, Charley Burley, Sandy Saddler, Ike Williams, Pernell Whitaker, Jose Napoles, Carlos Monzon, George Dixon, Original Joe Walcott, Marvin Hagler, Holman Williams, Lloyd Marshall, Carlos Ortiz, Manny Pacquaio, Fighting Harada, Emile Griffith, Luis Rodriguez, Tommy Hearns, Evander Holyfield, Roy Jones, Julio Cesar Chavez, Kid Gavilan, Alexis Arguello, Tiger Flowers
        A Top-20 and 26 HMs. 46 in total… and no mention of Floyd Mayweather? Just curious… if you did a Top-100, would you include him on such a list (and if so, how far down)?

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
          A Top-20 and 26 HMs. 46 in total… and no mention of Floyd Mayweather? Just curious… if you did a Top-100, would you include him on such a list (and if so, how far down)?
          I think around 50-60. I totally forgot Billy Conn too who I’d have top 30. I’m also thinking the likes of Tommy and Mike Gibbons, Tommy Loughran, Tommy Ryan, Jack Britton, Ted Kid Lewis, Michael Spinks, Dick Tiger, Ruben Olivares, Bernard Hopkins so I think he’d slot in somewhere there if I really put the time and effort into the list instead of just a rough order.

Comment

Mayweather would not fight the other top dogs when they were considert dangerous, so he misst out on that powerful legacy building. He would not fight Margie, but he did fight an ATG like Baldomir. Above all you have to be a fighter to land on that list. MW was a pitty-pat artist 98% concernt with defense, 2% with offense. There is a reason Meadowlark Lemon is never on ATG lists of basketball players. The very same reason, too. MW might as well have been fighting high school alumni as some of the scrubs he DID put the mitts on with. Future generations will note that his own generation rejectet his puffy claim of ATGness, and rate him accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
              and no mention of Floyd Mayweather? Just curious… if you did a Top-100, would you include him on such a list (and if so, how far down)?
              - -Dunno where TUE 50-1 would rank on any list, but it'd be with copious ******.

Now, get into the all time boxing sissy rankings, he, Popkins, and Jack Sharkey would near the top.

Comment

Originally posted by Heckler View Post
                Now, im sure my list may be different if i sat and thought about it for a while. But ill slap together a quick list that reflects my general thoughts.

Use whatever criteria you like except head to head (that just stupid).

1)Sugar Ray Robinson
                2)Joe Gans
                3)Muhammad Ali
                4)Roberto Duran
                5)Henry Armstrong
                6)Joe Louis
                7)Harry Greb
                8)Sugar Ray Leonard (people will dislike this i know, duran, hagler, hearns - enough said)
                9)George Foreman (closest thing to invincible boxing has ever seen IMO)
                10)Archie Moore
                After all that time, that is still a solid list.

Comment

Originally posted by miamike View Post
                  After all that time, that is still a solid list.
                  Agreed.....

Comment

Working...
                  X