No announcement yet.

A question about FOTC (1971)?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about FOTC (1971)?

who was the favorite? i hear some people said ali was the favorite, and some people said frazier. who was it? does anybody know? thank you.

Originally posted by butterfly1964
    who was the favorite? i hear some people said ali was the favorite, and some people said frazier. who was it? does anybody know?
    If memory serves me correctly Frazier was the betting favourite 6-5.

Comment

althought i am not 100 percent sure, i would have to go with fraizer, the champ and ali still wasnt looking like the ali who fought liston...

Comment

Originally posted by smasher
        If memory serves me correctly Frazier was the betting favourite 6-5.
        Very close with the odds and you did name the favourite.

"Frazier rated 7-5 favourite to defeat Ali" - New York Times, March 7th 1971

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi
          Very close with the odds and you did name the favourite.

"Frazier rated 7-5 favourite to defeat Ali" - New York Times, March 7th 1971
          I double checked my source which said 6-5 day of the fight...

Comment

Originally posted by smasher
            I double checked my source which said 6-5 day of the fight...
            Yeah, you could very well be right seeing as the quote I gave was from the day before the fight, and it's certainly not unreasonable to think that the odds may have changed ever-so slightly over a day.

Comment

Frazier was the slight betting favourite but I hear that more people wanted Ali to win, mainly on racial terms started by Ali's uncle tom remarks.

Comment

Thanks.

thanks for the input guys. i appreciate that.

Comment

Originally posted by Easy-E View Post
                  althought i am not 100 percent sure, i would have to go with fraizer, the champ and ali still wasnt looking like the ali who fought liston...
                  - -Ali looking more like the Clay that fought Sonny Banks and Henry Cooper!

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                    - -Ali looking more like the Clay that fought Sonny Banks and Henry Cooper!
                    I think he was at his best against Frazier. If he didn't go on hiatus, Frazier would've ended his career.

Comment

Working...
                    X