Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Aaron Pryor ducked by the "Big Three"?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by f15bone View Post
    I could see Curry & Starling possibly beating Pryor but McCrory would have a rough time...Starling & Curry were strong welterweights who would not have wilted under Pryor's relentless pressure...Milton had good power but physically I see him succumbing at some point...
    Minor possibility, but I think if Emanuel Stewart is on point, he will have Milton prepared.Also think Aaron was lucky not to catch Bobby Joe Young when he was younger, Bobby's power was legit before the Kevin Howard fight ruined.

Comment

Pryor was the man, but the number of division he would've been sucessful in were limited.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
        Pryor was the man, but the number of division he would've been sucessful in were limited.
        I agree...His physical stature & skill set would probably limit his success in multiple divisions...However I don't think fighting in multiple divisions is a prerequisite for greatness...

Comment

I agree...His physical stature & skill set would probably limit his success in multiple divisions...However I don't think fighting in multiple divisions is a prerequisite for greatness...
          That's true, but with Pryor, many think he was going to move up and tear everything and everybody in his path.It's a shame he didn't get a shot at the lightweight belt, would have loved to seen him go against Mancini, Davis Jr, Kenty, and O'Grady, even Gato Gonzalez.

Comment

It was a shame...It woulda been nice to see what Pryor would have done in all those match ups...

Unfortunately it all went up in a cloud of crack smoke...

Comment

It was a shame...It woulda been nice to see what Pryor would have done in all those match ups...

Indeed.The 80's were great, yet dark.

Comment

The crack drink Panama Lewis brewed for him did wonders. We have him on tape instructing, the one I mixed.

The last time I checked there was water and then there was water. They sound a lot alike. Where does the mixing come in? Did he mix swimming pool water with tap water or toilet bowl water? Did Pryor spit or swallow?

Facetious, or not? Perhaps there are substances trainers are allowed to mix into pure water, and customarily do. It may be that Pryor liked a lemon squeeze.

Comment

Timelines and behaviors make a better case for Pryor avoiding the Big 3, which he did not do. No one avoided anyone here. Delve into the minutia, and the fight is less reasonable. History will pay no attention to the claim. No big 3er loses any legacy for missing Dopey the dwarf.

Comment

Pryor turned down half a million to face Leonard, presumably in 1980. He talked about this after fighting Lennox Blackmoore in 1981, and Pryor had become 140 lb. champ against Cervantes in August 1980. Leonard lost his title in June 1980 and regained it in November 1980, so the offer probably came in late 80', or even early 81'.

Pryor turned down $750k to face Duran because he had managerial issues, his manager got arrested for embezzlement. Somewhere around this time, Aaron's wife shot him too.

I had a funny argument a couple weeks ago on BF24 about this (again). HBO and their myths, polluting boxing forums one thread at a time

Comment

CINCINNATI (AP) - Aaron Pryor, World Boxing Association junior welterweight champ, has rejected an offer to fight welterweight champion Sugar Ray Leonard because Pryor wants more money, according to Buddy LaRosa, Pryor's manager.

Instead, Pryor has signed to fight World Boxing Council junior welterweight champ Saoul Mamby, tentatively scheduled Feb. 7 in Las Vegas, Nev., LaRosa said.

LaRosa said Janks Morton, one of Leonard's handlers, had offered Pryor $500,000 and later increased that to $750,000.

"Aaron, what are you doing?" LaRosa asked. "I've got a contract for you to fight Roberto Duran for $750,000."

"No, I don't want to fight him. My new attorney told me not to sign anything until you and I work out a new contract." So much for the firing of LaRosa.

By the time they worked out a new agreement, the chance to fight Duran—and the $750,000 payday—was gone.

#MythBusting

Comment

Working...
                      X