No announcement yet.

top 10 welterweights of all time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• top 10 welterweights of all time

what are your top 10 welterweights of all time?

heres mine

1. sugar ray robinson
    2. Sugar Ray Leonard
    3. Emile Griffith
    4. Henry Armstrong
    5. Thomas Hearns
    6. Jose Napoles
    7. Joe Walcott
    8. Kid Gavilan
    9. Barney Ross
    10. Roberto Duran

emile griffith the most underated welterweight of all time

well i could tell you guys that should be on the top 10 list but i don't know enough about welterweights (beside these three)

Sugar Ray Robinson
    Jake Lamatta
    Sugar Ray Leonard

Comment

jake lamotta was NOT a welterweight

Comment

yeah Jake was not a welterweight, he was a middle/lightheavy weight.
        As for best welterweights, i don't know much about them but I know Sugar Ray Robinson and Henry Armstrong are always in the top ten. Fritzie Zivic kicked arse too.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzieQ49
          what are your top 10 welterweights of all time?

heres mine

1. sugar ray robinson
          2. Sugar Ray Leonard
          3. Emile Griffith
          4. Henry Armstrong
          5. Thomas Hearns
          6. Jose Napoles
          7. Joe Walcott
          8. Kid Gavilan
          9. Barney Ross
          10. Roberto Duran

I agree with 1 & 2 in that order while I'm undecided on Duran being in the top 10 although P4P he is as good or better than anyone on the list excluding SRR. Benitez at welter possibly could squeeze him out.

I would also like to see more of Mickey Walker or Charley Burley.
          Last edited by smasher; 03-15-2006, 12:01 AM.

Comment

I haven't made a Welterweight list in quite some time and really have no idea of the exact ranking when I did so. Brockton's ranking looks as good as any, although like Smasher, I'm not sure Duran had the overall resume at that weight...Beyond one great win/great performance against Leonard (and the embarrasment in the rematch) and a great performance/very good win against Palomino, there's not much else on his Welterweight ledger that suggests to me that he's one of the greatest ever at that weight...

In addition to the other nine names mentioned besides Duran, the likes of Jimmy McLarnin, Mickey Walker, Carmen Basilio, Jack Britton, Ted 'Kid' Lewis, Luis Rodriguez, Tommy Ryan, etc, just might(in some cases "will") get more consideration from me for a spot in the top ten than does Duran.

Comment

Originally posted by smasher
              I agree with 1 & 2 in that order while I'm undecided on Duran being in the top 10 although P4P he is as good or better than anyone on the list excluding SRR. Benitez at welter possibly could squeeze him out.

I would also like to see more of Mickey Walker or Charley Burley.

i wanted to squeeze burley in. burley and walker are both in my top 15 welterweights.

- I believe duran is underated as a welter. i mean look what he did in his short 2 year career. he beat top 2 greatest welter of all time sugar ray leonard and virtually shutout a very good welterweight in carlos palomino.

if everyones going to rate hearns so high at welter, why not duran who at least accomplishmed more by beating leonard?

i mean with hearns, the ranking is all based on head to head. he didnt accomplish much at all. however, almost everyone knows only a few welters in history would be able to deal with a peak 147lb tommy hearns.

cocoa kid is another welter who deserves mention

Comment

I'm not sure Duran had the overall resume at that weight...Beyond one great win/great performance against Leonard (and the embarrasment in the rematch) and a great performance/very good win against Palomino, there's not much else on his Welterweight ledger that suggests to me that he's one of the greatest ever at that weight...

well then why does everyone rank hearns in there top 10 welters?

i mean how does hearns have the overall resume at that weight to be a great welter? what did he accomplish more than duran at 147? least duran beat leonard. i think its clear duran accomplished more, so why hearns top 10 welter, and duran not?

O I GET IT.......

fact is people rate hearns so high because they know head to head only a handful of welters in history could beat him. his combination of freakish size, power, skill is too much for most welters in history.

so why hearns in the top 10 welters and not duran?
                Last edited by SuzieQ49; 03-15-2006, 12:30 AM.

Comment

definitly SRR,SRL,Hearns and i think Tito should squeeze in that top ten, he had 15 ibf defenses, beat de la hoya and was undefeated at the weight.

Comment

beat de la hoya and was undefeated at the weight

you made a mistake. tito lost to oscar.

Comment

Working...
                    X