Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Julio Cesar Chavez overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chavez was not overated, he was one of the best fighters of all time. De La Hoya would not have beaten chavez in his prime.

Comment

Not so

Chavez beat greats like Edwin Rosario, Juan Lapoerte (although I may add that was his first questionable decision), Rocky Lockridge, Edwin Rosario, a faded Rafael Limon, Jose Luis Ramirez, Roger Mayweather (twice), Meldrick Taylor (twice), Lonnie Smith , who, even through he wasnt the best in this list he was still a world champion once, Hector Camacho. A very faded Chavez legitimately beat a very faded Frankie Randall in their third fight.

And let's not forget that pulp of a beating that he gave former world champion Greg Haugen in five rounds as well. 89-0 is something that will be hard to accomplish. I had hopes that our Tito Trinidad could match that but even Tito didnt get halfway to 89-0.

I met Chavez two times in person. He gave me his autograph but was by far the most arrogant boxer Ive met in person. An autograph, no smile, no "como estas?" ("how are you?"). But the facts are the facts and Chavez was an all time great and I will see him in the Hall of Fame less than ten years from now.

Antonio

Comment

Originally posted by asian_sensation
        But the guys you mentioned beat better fighters than Chavez.
        what d u mean they beat better fighters than chavez ...chavez fought the best there was in his generation

Comment

Originally posted by asian_sensation
          Julio Cesar Chavez was a guy who showed up, won titles at 130, 135, and 140 destroying everyone he fought. But the level of competition he fought wasn't all that strong, and he got gift decisions against Whitaker and Randall. When he quit against De La Hoya, everybody was shocked. But my thinking is that maybe he was a product of media and the fans making him into this superhuman fighter who had no fear, when in reality he was just as human as the guys he fought. I feel that he was lucky to get the stoppage against Taylor, and was certainly beatable if the right guy was in front of him. But I think his march to 100 wins thing was a little exxagerated given the level of competition he did it against. I think Azumah Nelson would've beaten him if they had fought. While I think Chavez was great, I think he was overrated by history as being indestructable.
          Overrated???? NOPE, he was relentless, powerful, tactfull, great chin, determined, tons of heart.

Hell, what else do you want?

Here is Chavez completely outclassing Mayweather senior

http://youtube.com/watch?v=luVxCymtb...julio%20chavez

Comment

I couldnt say that because anybody who fights 105 fights and wins the majority deserves some respect.He was a beast.

Comment

Watch the Camacho fight and that is when Hector was the best

actually camacho was not in his prime. camacho was never the same after the edwin rosario fight

then again, chavez was past his prime as well

Comment

Chavez was class.

Comment

Bump..........................................

Comment

Ryan or can I call you ****.

I'm surprised you ask such an idiotic question, of course he wasn't. You even say yourself he was great then say you think history overrated him as being indestructable. That just does not make any sense my friend.

Now go and re-write this thread and give us something we can comprehend, your a good writer but stop trying so hard to impress.

In fact the whole thing is complete bollocks, except for the part about gift decisions against Whitaker and Randall.

Listen all good and great fighters are in part a product of the media.

I'm going to finish up here before I shoot you down on the rest of the crap you just wrote.

C'mon you can do much better than this, get Pump to move this to NSB and start again.

Comment

Originally posted by -CANE- View Post
                      Ryan or can I call you ****.

I'm surprised you ask such an idiotic question, of course he wasn't. You even say yourself he was great then say you think history overrated him as being indestructable. That just does not make any sense my friend.

Now go and re-write this thread and give us something we can comprehend, your a good writer but stop trying so hard to impress.

In fact the whole thing is complete bollocks, except for the part about gift decisions against Whitaker and Randall.

Listen all good and great fighters are in part a product of the media.

I'm going to finish up here before I shoot you down on the rest of the crap you just wrote.

C'mon you can do much better than this, get Pump to move this to NSB and start again.
                      Five year old thread, wow, I wish everyone had to account for the things they said when they were in high school.

LOL in a way, I do think Chavez was the kind of fighter that made for great fights against the right fighters but wasn't a versatile boxer-puncher like Floyd Mayweather Jr. There was a clear mold for what beat him and it was those with solid boxing skills and good chins.

I think a rematch against Whitaker would have been great for boxing to clear up any misunderstandings but I doubt Chavez's people were hyped for that fight.

I still do think that Azumah Nelson would have beaten him as well.

Realistically though, whatever my thoughts are they are just that, my thoughts. I am entitled to my opinion and no one is going to tell me that mine is worth any less. If this is some attempt to tear me down and build yourself up in the process, best regards.

Comment

Working...
                      X