No announcement yet.

What would have happened?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would have happened?

If Tyson never went to jail after the wars with Razor Ruddock and the fight with Holyfield was made when it was supposed to?

Would the outcome have been similar to their real fight? How would that have boosted Holyfield's legacy, remembering he did not really receive much credit until after he LOST his first fight to Riddick Bowe! It is only after Holyfield actually did beat Tyson many years later (and had avenged against Bowe 1ce) that we really started to think of him as the ATG we know him as today (at HW).

Or would the outcome have been more along the lines of Holyfield not being seasoned enough yet to withstand the Tyson onslaught and succumbing to Tyson then, with Mike regaining the title so soon, the history of HW boxing might have been very different. The Douglas win might be regarded as just an anomaly, Tyson might have been even more dominant. Would Lennox had risen to such prominence? Would Holyfield have been relegated to just another B grader?

Such ripples have certainly changed the course of boxing history.

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
    If Tyson never went to jail after the wars with Razor Ruddock and the fight with Holyfield was made when it was supposed to?

Would the outcome have been similar to their real fight? How would that have boosted Holyfield's legacy, remembering he did not really receive much credit until after he LOST his first fight to Riddick Bowe! It is only after Holyfield actually did beat Tyson many years later (and had avenged against Bowe 1ce) that we really started to think of him as the ATG we know him as today (at HW).

Or would the outcome have been more along the lines of Holyfield not being seasoned enough yet to withstand the Tyson onslaught and succumbing to Tyson then, with Mike regaining the title so soon, the history of HW boxing might have been very different. The Douglas win might be regarded as just an anomaly, Tyson might have been even more dominant. Would Lennox had risen to such prominence? Would Holyfield have been relegated to just another B grader?

Realistically the Ruddock fights took a lot out of both men, and neither were really the same after that.

Holyfield was on a great run after moving up to heavyweight and was in his absolute prime when he fought the two first Bowe fights. The third one is what it is, we know by now why Holyfield lost. I think he should have won that fight, but whatever.

Point of the matter is, that Tyson would have lost to Holyfield I believe. Holyfield was everything Ruddock was - and more. as tough as they come - and Tyson didn't like to get roughed up. Also, no matter what you believe about the Douglas fight, it showed everyone how to beat Tyson.

I believe it would have been pretty similar to their fights. Holyfield was just better than Tyson at that stage in my opinion, he just didn't get the credit for it before he actually beat him.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
      Realistically the Ruddock fights took a lot out of both men, and neither were really the same after that.

Holyfield was on a great run after moving up to heavyweight and was in his absolute prime when he fought the two first Bowe fights. The third one is what it is, we know by now why Holyfield lost. I think he should have won that fight, but whatever.

Point of the matter is, that Tyson would have lost to Holyfield I believe. Holyfield was everything Ruddock was - and more. as tough as they come - and Tyson didn't like to get roughed up. Also, no matter what you believe about the Douglas fight, it showed everyone how to beat Tyson.

I believe it would have been pretty similar to their fights. Holyfield was just better than Tyson at that stage in my opinion, he just didn't get the credit for it before he actually beat him.
      I agree that Holyfield was at his best for the first 2 Bowe fights. I also think he was a little small for Bowe in the first. The decision to move up to 215 was a very wise one for the 2nd. Yes Holyfield was suffering those uh, "effects", then again Bowe was also way out of shape too.

The Ruddock fights taking a lot out of both men were Ruddocks exact words. I guess brutal battles like that take it out of you no doubt but longer breaks heal the body. By the time Tyson fought Holyfield I don't think we can dismiss his performance due to his damage from Ruddock.

I agree that Douglas laid a blueprint for Tyson somewhat but I doubt Douglas could have pulled that off ever again himself. I certainly would never count Holyfield out but at 205lbs I find it just as easy to envision a Tyson victory too. I am somewhat confused, but I would also tip Holyfield to give us the similar performance as he did in the real fight too. Just not certain. Some would argue for Tyson. It would just be a sight to see for a smaller man to rough up Tyson, that's all.

Holyfield was a much better boxer than Ruddock that's for sure but Ruddock was 240+ lbs and hit like a truck, it's not clear that at that time, Holyfield was more dangerous or not.

Comment

holyfield would have still won altho it would have been much more competitive. he was much too mentally tough for Tyson and had a great chin and stamina

Comment

Originally posted by beez721 View Post
          holyfield would have still won altho it would have been much more competitive. he was much too mentally tough for Tyson and had a great chin and stamina
          Although I somewhat agree, I find it hard to pick with confidence.

Hoylfield got knocked down by Bert Cooper and failed to stop Larry Holmes like Tyson did. Tyson could have just as easily wasted the bummy version of Douglas that Holyfield did.

I just think if Tyson had Holyfield's run up to Bowe he could have decimated them all, maybe not Foreman but he'd still UD.

I don't think Tyson is as mentally weak as he's made out to be.

But of course he's not as strong as Holyfield in the mind. In fact I can't think of many other boxers who were!

Comment

I agree that Holyfield was at his best for the first 2 Bowe fights. I also think he was a little small for Bowe in the first. The decision to move up to 215 was a very wise one for the 2nd. Yes Holyfield was suffering those uh, "effects", then again Bowe was also way out of shape too.

The Ruddock fights taking a lot out of both men were Ruddocks exact words. I guess brutal battles like that take it out of you no doubt but longer breaks heal the body. By the time Tyson fought Holyfield I don't think we can dismiss his performance due to his damage from Ruddock.

I agree that Douglas laid a blueprint for Tyson somewhat but I doubt Douglas could have pulled that off ever again himself. I certainly would never count Holyfield out but at 205lbs I find it just as easy to envision a Tyson victory too. I am somewhat confused, but I would also tip Holyfield to give us the similar performance as he did in the real fight too. Just not certain. Some would argue for Tyson. It would just be a sight to see for a smaller man to rough up Tyson, that's all.

Holyfield was a much better boxer than Ruddock that's for sure but Ruddock was 240+ lbs and hit like a truck, it's not clear that at that time, Holyfield was more dangerous or not.
            Bowe was out of shape, but it was painfully obvious that Holyfield was suffering after he couldn't even put three punches together to stop Bowe after knocking him down. Even Joe Cortez said if Holyfield had touched him a couple more times, he'd been forced to stop the fight.

You probably can't say it was down to Ruddock solely, but he had had 2-3 wars by that time incl. 3 years in prison. If you look at Tyson's record, he never beat another good fighter after beating Ruddock. So I really doubt he'd have beaten Holyfield who I think was an extremely good fighter and all wrong for Tyson stylistically.

Headbutts, elbows, uppercuts, roughing up Tyson on the inside, just basically out-muscling and out hustling him is something I think Holyfield would do every time.

Sure, Ruddock was bigger and probably stronger than Holyfield. But it was his style that was wrong for Tyson imo, not his size. And I think it's the same for Holyfield.

Comment

Tyson, if he would have kept a correct path, is possibly the greatest HW of all time. But he failed, miserably. He had no easy start in life though and considering this, he did very well. Shouldn't have raped that girl, though.

Comment

If he had fought Holyfield then it would have been close, but I would actually favor Tyson over that younger version of Holyfield. Young, smaller and less powerful Holyfield was prone to slugfests and had gotten into serious trouble even against a journeyman like Cooper, and Tyson back then still did not have any quit in him as proven in the Ruddock fights, and I simply can't see Holyfield coming out on top slugging with Tyson.

Mid to late 90s Holyfield beats early 90s Tyson with his grappling on the inside to shut out Tyson and push him back, though a more polished Tyson of the 80s I believe would edge out a win.

Comment

I think Holyfield beats any version of Tyson available, he was quick and strong, had a boxing brain, great chin and ultimately could out fight, out tough and out heart just about anyone in the game.

Tyson was a bully, no two ways about it. When things weren't going his own way, he seemed to freeze up, not quite knowing what to do when his power was no longer making the difference. We saw it even before the Douglas bout and many times after. Holyfield was much more resilient and a multi-dimensional fighter.

Comment

Bowe and Holyfield would have whipped his ass

Comment

Working...
                    X