Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come Sonny Liston...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow, you guys sure have fantastic senses of humor.

Comment

wow, you guys sure have fantastic senses of humor.
      I know, we laugh at you at times when it's not even funny!

Comment

Originally posted by blockhead
        they were fake fights, like wwf. the mob built him up so they could bring in huge money when they brought him down against clay.

LOL at the wwf part. I agree, he did win a lot of fights based on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaman
          LOL at the wwf part. I agree, he did win a lot of fights based on that.
          no, liston was legitimately the best hw from 1958-1963.

Comment

i think sonny liston was a good fighter who's record and career is over looked because he lost to Clay, and as for the KO thing it may just be that the guys he fought early in his career had better chins (which I doubht) or he may have just had his strenght go up
            ________
            Rossy_Hot cam
            Last edited by RockyMarcianofan00; 08-23-2011, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyMarcianofan00
              i think sonny liston was a good fighter who's record and career is over looked because he lost to Clay, and as for the KO thing it may just be that the guys he fought early in his career had better chins (which I doubht) or he may have just had his strenght go up
              exactly what i've been saying all this time.

Comment

I agree with what Joe Louis and many other boxing experts said at the time. Sonny Liston would possibly the best HW out of all the fighters before him. His reign was cut short by Clay who took away much of Listons glory.

Liston was deadly though and I think he would beat any heavyweight before him. Except maybe Louis who was one of the all time greats.

Comment

I think Liston was great, his only fault was the whole "******* mobster" look he gave which boxing fans didn't like (they didn't like to think their favourite sport was influenced so much by gangsters).. Plus Ali whooped his ass. I reckon Joe Frazier might have dethroned him had Ali never existed, or if he didn't, George Foreman definitely would've.

Comment

Originally posted by supaduck View Post
                    Uh huh. Sure they were Blockhead, sure they were.
                    - -Top Ten ever response!

Sonny learned to box as a "teen" in prison such that he was paroled, entered a Chicago regional Golden Glove tourney to beat the reigning Olympic Gold Medalist in the final.

Purt fair for an illiteratecountry boy out of the Arkansas sticks in the Depression.

He was always going to be a work in progress until his 2nd incarceration. Thereafter he married Geraldine who settled him down enough to focus on his career.

Comment

Working...
                    X