No announcement yet.

Why do fighters like Tyson, Frazier, Hatton, etc not use the straight right

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do fighters like Tyson, Frazier, Hatton, etc not use the straight right

So short guys with short arms tend to favor hooks to straight punches. Its rare to see tyson or smokin joe throw a straight right for example.

Why is this?

Straight punches are the shortest distance between to points so they are faster and also harder to see coming often times since the sees lateral motion easily.

Also straight punches maximize range. Something a short fighter might want?

Also the straight right is meant to be the most powerful punch.

Why does Earnie Shavers, Foreman, Julian Jackson, etc never throw a straight right?

They are always looping their rights.

Many others do this too, aloy of boxers seem to completely remove straight right hands from their arsenal, why the hell is this?

Comment

Because your not built like a joe frazier and the straight right is not as effective for them and are concentrating more on pressuring and setting up there money punches which is effective for there sytles. If you are interested in these things......JOIN A GYM, where do you think youll learn these things better, HERE? or in the GYM????? Your clearly interested, stop wasting your time trying to learn how to punch on...an INTERNET..FORUM!!...its beyond ridiculous.

Comment

All three of those guys threw straight right hands. I don't know what you're talking about.

Comment

The Roll-and-hook is one of the most useful and powerful manuvers in boxing. AS someone who was a shorter fighter, it was widely used in my fights.

Comment

Those guys fight in close distance. They don't use range. Straight right, as you can imagine, is less effective in close range, so a close-distnace fighter will use mostly hooks.

Comment

i read somewhere that tyson was left handed, but fights orthodox, which would mean his most powerful punch would be the left hook. much like miguel cotto.

Joe frazier's entire style was built around his powerful left hook, its his main weapon.

as for hatton, idk

Comment

Originally posted by megas30 View Post
                Those guys fight in close distance. They don't use range. Straight right, as you can imagine, is less effective in close range, so a close-distnace fighter will use mostly hooks.

This is it. Pac has short arms but he uses the straight left, but its because of the range.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                  All three of those guys threw straight right hands. I don't know what you're talking about.
                  Thank you. I saw Tyson throw plenty of straight rights against Ruddock.

Comment

These threads are so fcking annoying now lol ip block him or some****

Comment

Working...
                    X