No announcement yet.

Chan-Hee Park TKO2 Guty Espadas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chan-Hee Park TKO2 Guty Espadas

An amazing shoot-out between two extremely underrated flyweights.

Espadas, who usually was very good and well-schooled defensively while he moved forward, couldn’t cope with the speed, excellent variety and punch-placement of Park.

It can be argued that the stoppage is a bit premature, but it is still a highly impressive performance by Park, especially if you know how good Espadas had looked in the fights prior to this one.

Coming into this fight, Park had only 13 professional fights under his belt, and two of those were against a slightly faded, but still excellent Miguel Canto - who got dominated by Park in their first meeting and was replaced as king of the flyweight division.

In other words, Espadas were up against a top-notch talent who possessed exceptional skills.

So folks, let me hear your opinions on this fight.

I know this is a heavyweight centric section, but haven’t anyone watched it?

:bart:

All of you are nothing else than marauders!

Ignoring this brilliant fight is like to ignore the brilliance of Kalule - and we all know that's simply not possible.

Comment

Greeh, thanks for this. I recall this fight when it took place, but reading text never compares to actually watching and forming your own opinion. I do believe the stoppage was a bit premature, seeing as how Espadas got back into the fight after that first round, was doing well and had Park's nose bloodied. He should have been given more a of a chance. But damn good fight. Thanks again for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by scartissue View Post
        Greeh, thanks for this. I recall this fight when it took place, but reading text never compares to actually watching and forming your own opinion. I do believe the stoppage was a bit premature, seeing as how Espadas got back into the fight after that first round, was doing well and had Park's nose bloodied. He should have been given more a of a chance. But damn good fight. Thanks again for posting.
        No problems and I am glad you liked it.

As you say, it's a excellent fight. What is even more impressive is that Espadas had looked very good prior to this fight. He wasn't faded or shot. He just met a magnificent version of Park.

It's easy to forget how good Espadas was. He really was a quality operator. He reminds me of a more pressure oriented Chucho Castillo with his superb left-hand work.

Have you seen anything of these two prior to this fight? If so, I would like to hear your thoughts on them.

Comment

Short Fights

GREEH:

Your thoughts on Jesus Pimental....should he be in the IBHOF?

Comment

Originally posted by Andyland View Post
            GREEH:

Your thoughts on Jesus Pimental....should he be in the IBHOF?
            He was a good, solid fighter with huge power that was fairly well-schooled but pretty basic skill-wise. I would say he was a notch or two below the absolute best in the division, and I rank other contenders at the time as Jose Medel and Alan Rudkin higher, but being a contender in the horribly deep bantamweight division during the 60's is no mean feat. His best win was against Mimoun Ben Ali, a long-time contender in the flyweight and bantamweight divisions.

When Pimentel finally got his shot at the title against Ruben Olivares he was past his peak. If he had fought today he would surely pick up a strap or two.

So to answering your question, Andy, I would say no. He should not be in the HOF. But who knows when someone like Gatti is in...

Comment

By the way Andy. Did you watch the fight?

Comment

Short Fights

What fight are you referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by Andyland View Post
                  What fight are you referring to?
                  Chan-Hee Park vs Guty Espadas.

Comment

Short Fights

Park vs Espadas: very good fight perhaps a questionable stoppage
                    but still a rousing fight.

First fight I'm aware of that flowers/wreaths were given to the fighters
                    and referee..nice touch.

I was aware of all these fighters in my younger days but had never
                    seen them fight...I especially enjoy your analysis and comments.

Comment

Working...
                    X