Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loudest punches in boxing history? Mike Tysons?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loudest punches in boxing history? Mike Tysons?

They sound like fcuking gun shots at times, never have I heard punches make such loud sounds its like a fake kung fu film when Tyson gets in the ring.

Foreman shavers, etc they dont make the same kinda noise do they?

A bang like that is a good indication of power, does Tyson have the most powerful punches ever? Of all the mega hitters like foreman and shavers Tysons punches are by far the fastest. I thought speed was the most important quality for punching power?

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
    They sound like fcuking gun shots at times, never have I heard punches make such loud sounds its like a fake kung fu film when Tyson gets in the ring.

A bang like that is a good indication of power, does Tyson have the most powerful punches ever? Of all the mega hitters like foreman and shavers Tysons punches are by far the fastest. I thought speed was the most important quality for punching power?

I've heard some pretty noisy shots in landed by the likes of Roy Jones jnr or Naseem Hamed. To be honest there were even a couple of loud cracks when Floyd Mayweather met Arturo Gatti. All very speedy guys.....

But punching power is the most debatable subject. Its more of an essay question!

The nerdy types will say that force=mass x acceleration. In simple terms the force of impact of a punch depends on how fast it is/how quickly it accelerates with how much weight is placed behind it.

But in boxing, this thinking is largely irrelevant. Speed/acceleration can be easily quantified or measured. But the 'mass' element can be influenced by too many factors:

1) Technique/punch delivery
    2) Skeletal structure
    3) Muscularity
    4) Setting of the feet
    5) Weight of the individual
    6) The opponent coming forward can add to the weight of impact

But again, this could be considered very much arguable too.....simply because knockouts are not always caused by the sheer 'force' of the blow. Sometimes the timing/accuracy of a fast blow that an opponent does not see or anticipate can cause a knockout.

As for the sound of punches like Tyson's, you do need sheer speed. Its very simple.......kick a football at a brick wall hard and it will make a good crack at the point of impact. But try the same thing with a heavy medicine ball and you'll get a dull thud that won't be as loud even though it probably will impact with greater force. But neither would be likely to knock someone out.

Tyson had a good blend of speed, anticipation, accuracy, timing, weight transfer, technique and raw power. Plus, in most cases opponents were knocked out by fast combinations rather than single blows.....although Carl Williams does jump to mind! All these factors combined to make Mike Tyson the puncher he was.

Comment

Big loud thuds are usually absorbed by the sound of the crowd

Watch a big puncher, fight in front of a small audience in a big hall.. Thunder clap city

Comment

Julian Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          I've heard some pretty noisy shots in landed by the likes of Roy Jones jnr or Naseem Hamed. To be honest there were even a couple of loud cracks when Floyd Mayweather met Arturo Gatti. All very speedy guys.....

But punching power is the most debatable subject. Its more of an essay question! .
          Great answer cheers bud!

Comment

mass x acceleration does not equate to power sorry

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
              mass x acceleration does not equate to power sorry
              lol

Try this now on your heavy bag.

Punch with all your might but you must use 0 speed as in 0 kph

What happens?

Yea I get it, its far more complex, we need more equations

where
              va is the final velocity of the first object after impact
              vb is the final velocity of the second object after impact
              ua is the initial velocity of the first object before impact
              ub is the initial velocity of the second object before impact
              ma is the mass of the first object
              mb is the mass of the second object
              CR is the coefficient of restitution; if it is 1 we have an elastic collision; if it is 0 we have a perfectly inelastic collision
              Last edited by AlexKid; 03-13-2014, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Last edited by AlexKid; 03-13-2014, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post

out of all the many fights ive been to tommy morrisons's punches were by far the loudest sounding Ive ever heard. my god,,,it sounded and looked so damn painful when he landed

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™
                    First ones that come to mind is Hearns-Duran and Jones jr-Hill
                    I actually thought about Jones jr-Hill when I seen this thread.

Comment

Working...
                    X