No announcement yet.

how do you rank toneys hw performances

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
    Not taking anything away from his win over Holyfield, but it was a premature stoppage. Holyfield could have fought on.

That being said, the way he completely outboxed Ruiz and Holyfield was magnificent for such a small guy. He had good power at HW too. These two guys must have two of the best chins in the business, and he hurt them both.

Funny thing is, that despite being relatively fat, short and old, Toney was actually one of the most skillful heavyweights at the time and probably would have been today as well.

He rolled with the punches well and had great timing with his own punches. I liked what I saw.

I liked what I saw too. Its been a while since I was inspired by a performance by a heavyweight. Even one who was an overweight middleweight!

Comment

Not taking anything away from his win over Holyfield, but it was a premature stoppage. Holyfield could have fought on.

That being said, the way he completely outboxed Ruiz and Holyfield was magnificent for such a small guy. He had good power at HW too. These two guys must have two of the best chins in the business, and he hurt them both.

Funny thing is, that despite being relatively fat, short and old, Toney was actually one of the most skillful heavyweights at the time and probably would have been today as well.

He rolled with the punches well and had great timing with his own punches. I liked what I saw.
      Id have to disagree sir. Holyfield wanted no part of Toney. And toney folded him in such a brilliant way.

Comment

Originally posted by HWChampion View Post
        Id have to disagree sir. Holyfield wanted no part of Toney. And toney folded him in such a brilliant way.
        I hadn't seen the fight since around the time it happened.

Actually just saw that Holyfield's corner threw in the towel. The ref would had let him continue as he was up at 3.

Comment

I hadn't seen the fight since around the time it happened.

Actually just saw that Holyfield's corner threw in the towel. The ref would had let him continue as he was up at 3.
          True. It was a body shot that put him down, and afterwards Holyfield fired his trainer for stopping the fight.

Comment

holyfield was being destroyed..the decision to stop it was perfect...go rewatch the fight

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Donald View Post
              holyfield was being destroyed..the decision to stop it was perfect...go rewatch the fight
              yea,,,holyfield looked dead exhausted. was probably the right call to stop it. he had nothing left

Comment

Im a huge toney fan, so i may be biased in my opinion..

I thought he did great vs Holyfield,, after 3 rounds he beat the hell out of evander.. Evander had no answer to the lead right that toney landed at will,,,

He looked boring vs booker

He looked great vs ruiz, but was an idiot and got popped for roids

He looked good vs guinn, highlight was making guinn hit himself with an uppercut

He looked horrible vs rahman 1,, got a draw but he was in horrible shape,, that was his chance to become a true world champ but he failed to train properly

Looked fantastic vs Peter 1.. Toney got robbed and should have won an easy 115-113, 116-112 type fight,, total schooling

Looked good but old vs peter 2,, i think the hard shots and years of boxing had caught up to toney

toney vs rahman 2,,, looked good but didnt go long enough to have a fair assessment

every toney fight since then he has looked old, shot, and punch-drunk

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                  Im a huge toney fan, so i may be biased in my opinion..

I thought he did great vs Holyfield,, after 3 rounds he beat the hell out of evander.. Evander had no answer to the lead right that toney landed at will,,,

He looked boring vs booker

He looked great vs ruiz, but was an idiot and got popped for roids

He looked good vs guinn, highlight was making guinn hit himself with an uppercut

He looked horrible vs rahman 1,, got a draw but he was in horrible shape,, that was his chance to become a true world champ but he failed to train properly

Looked fantastic vs Peter 1.. Toney got robbed and should have won an easy 115-113, 116-112 type fight,, total schooling

Looked good but old vs peter 2,, i think the hard shots and years of boxing had caught up to toney

toney vs rahman 2,,, looked good but didnt go long enough to have a fair assessment

every toney fight since then he has looked old, shot, and punch-drunk
                  how do u think the toney that beat holy would have fared against wlad of today?

Comment

Originally posted by beez721 View Post
                    how do u think the toney that beat holy would have fared against wlad of today?
                    Not good,,, toney would have his moments, but toney excels vs guys that are aggressive and come forward like jirov, holy, peter, ruiz etc.. I think wlad would keep him at a distance and jab him to death,, i dont think wlad would ko him, but i think toney is way too flat-footed to cause wlad much problems. Toney would slip the jab on occasion and land a good counter but wouldnt be enough to win,,,

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                      Not good,,, toney would have his moments, but toney excels vs guys that are aggressive and come forward like jirov, holy, peter, ruiz etc.. I think wlad would keep him at a distance and jab him to death,, i dont think wlad would ko him, but i think toney is way too flat-footed to cause wlad much problems. Toney would slip the jab on occasion and land a good counter but wouldnt be enough to win,,,
                      exactly what I think. toney was obviously the much better lb 4 lb fighter but hes just giving up way too much size and reach and wlads style would have been all wrong for toney

Comment

Working...
                      X