Collapse
No announcement yet.

ron lyle vs. ken norton?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lyle by KO. Far too much power for Norton to handle.

Comment

shavers Vs norton = shavers KO1
      foreman Vs norton = foreman KO2

norton couldn't handle big punchers

lyle within 4 rounds

Comment

Norton had a good boxing style that could fool fighters or just get to them...He also had "pepper" on his punch, not to the point of say a Foreman or even Lyle but he had enough to inflict some damage with the punches he snuck in....He did break Ali's jaw remember....

On the other hand Lyle had destructive punching power (in comparison to Norton) and I think it would work well against Norton who was less then stellar against big hitters...but in boxing its not always the hardest hitter that wins....however in this case I see Norton actually being able to brave some rounds.....

Lyle ko5

Norton could strech and try to get a decision (or maybe lyle would get it) but I don't see that happening...

Comment

bump...........

Comment

Lyle by mid round KO/TKO.

Comment

- -Love Kenny to bits and he did first expose Tubby Lar who was still skinny then, but he never matched up well with big sluggers.

C'est la vie...

Comment

I watched all of Norton’s bouts Ali 1 until his final bout live. In terms of Lyle I watched all of his televised bouts right up to and including his bout with Cooney.

Lyle had the power to KO anyone but his tendency was to lay back and box waiting for an opening. Lyle was also rather slow handed.

Norton the much better boxer but he tended to back up to the ropes when pressed as his ultra wide stance did not allow for very good lateral movement.

This is one that could go either way. I could see Lyle doing what Shavers did yo Norton. I could also see Norton’s boxing ability working well vs Lyle. (although it failed vs Shavers and Foreman).

My gut tells me Norton keeps Lyle at bey with his jab, keeps him honest with his power and overcomes rough spots early to gain a decision over 12 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
                  I watched all of Norton’s bouts Ali 1 until his final bout live. In terms of Lyle I watched all of his televised bouts right up to and including his bout with Cooney.

Lyle had the power to KO anyone but his tendency was to lay back and box waiting for an opening. Lyle was also rather slow handed.

Norton the much better boxer but he tended to back up to the ropes when pressed as his ultra wide stance did not allow for very good lateral movement.

This is one that could go either way. I could see Lyle doing what Shavers did yo Norton. I could also see Norton’s boxing ability working well vs Lyle. (although it failed vs Shavers and Foreman).

My gut tells me Norton keeps Lyle at bey with his jab, keeps him honest with his power and overcomes rough spots early to gain a decision over 12 rounds.
                  Yeah, if there's one power puncher Kenny could handle it was Lyle.

Lyle almost always allowed himself to be out-boxed. The pairing for Foreman was ideal for both men as there was no confusion about what was to take place; and each man was as likely to expose the other's short-coming: Lyle wasn't timid, but he kinda needed an opening to take-off, Foreman could punch himself out in excitement or frustration.

Norton wasn't a fancy dan, Young type, but he could box well and apply pressure to fighters unable to fight back.

Obviously, Norton might just implode. That's a reality. But if there's one big strong puncher that I would expect him to beat the odds against, it would be Lyle. Norton sets the terms and pace early and Lyle resigns to play along.

And while Lyle did have heart, unlike Norton, his chin was average at best

Comment

Working...
                  X