Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was RJJ too fast at MW to be beaten by anyone?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P4P, Prime RJJ is the best fighter ever?

I mean the most unbeatable. Not technically the best. He was just too fast.

Comment

• I'm saying this right now, Marvin Hagler wouldn't beat him.

Comment

• Think McClellan would have knocked him out

Comment

• Originally posted by No Tomorrow View Post
          Think McClellan would have knocked him out
          Really?

I'm not so sure.

Comment

• Yup. I think Nunn stood the best chance but that's it.

Comment

• Originally posted by fight_professor View Post
              Really?

I'm not so sure.

it's certainly within the realm of possibility that jones loses to mcclellan. gman beat him in the amateurs. he's one of the hardest punchers ever, and he had a good chin himself. he had a HW reach, good jab, and a great left hook after his fight ending right hand.

i don't know the details of the fight, but i'm led to believe that mcclellan was less experienced when he beat jones in the amateurs.

while i'd favor jones, it's certainly within reason to think that a KO victory for gman is possible. the question would be whether or not he could deal with jones speed, and more importantly his timing. i don't think he could to the degree that he'd win the rounds, or put enough leather on jones to stop him.

Comment

• jones shouldn't be considered insurmountable opposition at MW simply because of speed. people have been boxing at middleweight for a long time, and many of the planet's best contemporary boxers have been middleweights. he's faster than they are, so he beats each?

jones didn't do all that much at the weight. he was huge, and obviously had to go through a lot to get to 160 lbs. we should add into the equation that 'd be a gigantic middleweight compared to robinson, greb, and even monzon and hagler.

jones not only possessed great gifts in terms of the speed of his reflexes and his body, but he boxed at the highest level at those speeds.
                are his speed, or what i call "fleetness," and his size enough for me to say that he beats every middleweight outright?

i don't think so. he didn't do enough at middleweight to lead me to believe that he'd beat every great middleweight.

Comment

• I appreciate all that but we are not talking 'fast' - he was freakishly fast with hands and feet. And speed does kill.

Comment

• He would indeed be too fast for many fighters, but I think the great MW punchers like Robinson, Monzon, Hagler etc have a pretty even chance of stopping him down the second half of the fight. Definitely over 15.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
                      Dawson could give Toney problems outside. Froch and Kessler could cause problems by virtue of superior conditioning. I'd favor Toney against all, but it's unrealistic to think that he'd easily beat them.
                      Lol, Froch and Kessler box in straight lines and arent hard to find, Toney eats guys like that.

Comment

Working...
                      X