Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is your favorite fighter in history?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just disagree with your fundamental point. That's cool though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nekronicle View Post
      Thats a pretty solid list for a new fan... The real excitement is in the history books! There arent many fighters today that could compete with some of the greats of the past!
      Thanks man. I've been doing a Duran marathon for the holidays, just trying to find any fight of his in the web. Maybe follow with Arguello, don't know much of him but I like his style.

Believe it or not, just a year and a half ago I actually wondered who would in a fight between Muhammad Ali and Chris John. I could barely name 5 boxers back then

Comment

tied with Mike Tyson, Joe Frazier, Marvin Hagler

Comment

Hagler, Frazier and Augustus.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
            Mares is #6, I don't know enough about Viloria to put him on tbh

I still have to catch the his fight with Tyson. I know. I suck.

But come on, you're really telling me that boxing is in as good a shape talent-wise as it was early 2000's, early 80's, throughout the 40's, etc.?
            Pick a date and lets compare, yes some periods might be a bit stronger than others but the difference is very very marginal.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
              Hopkins Donaire Marquez Pacquiao Mayweather Martinez thats 6 right there.

You have the benefit of seeing Pryor, Hearns etc etc career playout. At this point Mares and Ward are well on there way then you have less proven guys like Miguel Vasquez, Roman Gonzalez, Rigondeaux, Gamboa, Hernandez etc all of them have ATG talent and are at similar stages to a lot of guys on that list
              Donaire and Martinez are not even close to being ATGs. Marquez is a borderline ATG.

There's a huge difference between "ATG talent" and true ATG status.

Comment

Gene Tunney
                Kostya Tszyu. Both have a high ring IQ and power. Tszyu is one of those fighters who had a plan inside the ring. like a Hopkins or like Tunney, he knows exactly what he is doing. love watching Kostya Tszyu
                Arturo Gatti

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                  Donaire and Martinez are not even close to being ATGs. Marquez is a borderline ATG.

There's a huge difference between "ATG talent" and true ATG status.
                  I thought we were done with that. He's been a legit ATG for years now.

Comment

I have lots of favorites but Joe Louis tops the list

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                      Pick a date and lets compare, yes some periods might be a bit stronger than others but the difference is very very marginal.
                      Alrighty 1924 - 1929, i grabbed a handfull of names from this time period, and during these years they were at there prime, and ranked in the top 10 in there respective divisions...i grouped a few together, since it was common for these fighters (especially welter/middleweight/heavyweight) to fight eachother. In my opinion, there is not a single name between 2006 - 2012 (6 year period) that would have any chance in beating the fighters listed... I named a few that are possible future HOF's that were active during 2006-2012.... Maybe some exceptions, like i think Klitschkos could have held there ground, and possibly beat SOME of the Heavyweights...but thats being generous.

Heavyweight/Light Heavy
                      Jack Dempsey (HOF)
                      Gene Tunney (HOF)
                      Kid Norfolk (HOF)
                      tommy Loughran (HOF)
                      Tommy Gibbons (HOF)
                      Bob Fitzsimmons (HOF)
                      Max Schmeling (HOF)

Middleweight/Welterweight

Harry Greb (HOF)
                      Les Darcy (HOF)
                      Tiger Flowers (HOF)