Collapse
No announcement yet.

foreman vs. holmes. who wins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Styles make fights, and the Speedy Dancer has a great match-up against the Mummy. If a beyond-his-years Ali could embarass George Foreman, a prime Holmes would have had a similar result. Holmes was light on his feet, perhaps not as graceful as a 60's Ali, but certainly more so than a 70's Ali, and he could hit pretty well. Larry Holmes had toughness, heart, and a tough chin & midsection. I pick Larry Holmes in round 9-10.

On a side note, stating that Foreman fought Ali stupidly doesn't make up for the fact that....Foreman fought Ali stupidly. Foreman got beat by style.

Comment

foreman fought ali the same way he fought everybody else, only ali was too smart for him.

Comment

butterfly1964 foreman fought ali the same way he fought everybody else, only ali was too smart for him.
        Exactly. What I'm saying is that Foreman's style wasn't adaptable; it's major weakness was a cunning, quick punching, dancer. Ali didn't even have much juice left in his legs in 1974 and he still beat Foreman soundly. Ali only danced for the first two-and-a-half rounds, at most, but it was enough to tire Foreman out a little.

Comment

Fair enough, but I still think Foreman would KO Holmes. A more interesting poll would be a "who is the better boxer overall" poll.
          Last edited by supaduck; 12-28-2005, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mystyal2k5
            larry fought sorta like ali but had more power then ali. so imagine a steroided ali against foreman maaaan!!!!
            lol i think it be holmens 3 ko

Comment

Foreman could knock out anybody, but,... Holmes was an excellent boxer. Could of gone either way. I pick Holmes with a late round KO.

Comment

Larry was one of the most underrated heavyweight champs, definitely a top tenner in my view. George, well, for all that power and unrealised potential he did ok, not top ten though.

Comment

Like I pointed out, Larry is overrated because he failed to meet the best comp of his era. He did redeem himself somewhat by fighting until he was 50 or so, but he was no longer a main event fighter like George still was.

Best prime heavies Larry beat are Cooney and Shavers and Larry also won a close controversial split decision over a past prime Norton.

Foreman beat a prime Frazier, Norton, and Moorer, being the first to ever beat Frazier and Moorer. Since Moorer will likely be in the HOF, that's 3 prime HOFers for George and none for Holmes.

Larry is tough and could cause some problems, but I don't see him taking the pounding that Ali did. Larry just never showed he could beat a prime heavy of George's caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonRingRules
                    Like I pointed out, Larry is overrated because he failed to meet the best comp of his era. He did redeem himself somewhat by fighting until he was 50 or so, but he was no longer a main event fighter like George still was.

Best prime heavies Larry beat are Cooney and Shavers and Larry also won a close controversial split decision over a past prime Norton.

Foreman beat a prime Frazier, Norton, and Moorer, being the first to ever beat Frazier and Moorer. Since Moorer will likely be in the HOF, that's 3 prime HOFers for George and none for Holmes.

Larry is tough and could cause some problems, but I don't see him taking the pounding that Ali did. Larry just never showed he could beat a prime heavy of George's caliber.
                    moorer is not a hall of fame hw, maybe light hw or cruiserweight. he wasn't that good at hw. also just because holmes didn't beat better competition than foreman doesn't mean he couldn't beat foreman. i don't know what kind of marijuana you're smoking, but holmes is not overrated by a long shot! holmes is probably the most underrated hw in history by most people, caise he ruled in a weak era. but this guy is good and IMO he could have beaten any hw who ever fought except ali and liston.

Comment

Foreman by KO 5

Comment

Working...
                      X