Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any legitimacy to the theory SRL "waited for Hagler to get old"?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Doubt about it!!!! They weren't stupid on how to handle Ray's career, I had him in my gym early, I worked against him in corners and I feel they waited for Marvin to hopefully have some tuff bouts and simply wear down as ALL fighters do. Remember Marvin was a super conditioned athlete and he had wars early in his career in Philly gyms and Philly fights (Seales/ Brisco etc) Marvin was a step to you boxer not a great on your toes mover as Ray was so they knew Ray had time to react to his movement. They waited for Marvin to be just a bit more slower which is the first thing that an older figher has to deal. Movement and flexabilty goes first, your power pretty much stays the same so waiting for Marvin to loose a step certainly helped negate his power if he's slowed getting to you! Ray has extreme speed in his feet and hands.
    I watched the fight and thought I was watching someone get his pocker picked!!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by kendom View Post
      I've never understood the "waited till he got old" logic, unless a fighter has a magic potion that allows them to retain their physical ability, I don't see how waiting for a fighter to age (while you're aging yourself) would help your chances of beating them. Especially in this case.
      Alexander Povetkin is still waiting for the Klitschko's to get old. Unfortunately for him his skills are declining even faster than the the brothers are aging.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        Alexander Povetkin is still waiting for the Klitschko's to get old. Unfortunately for him his skills are declining even faster than the the brothers are aging.

Comment

Any legitimacy other than Ray basically admitting to it? Or would that be sufficient?

Comment

I believe Hagler-Duran got Leonard considering a Hagler match more than Hagler-Mugambi did.

Comment

I agree hagler duran first got ray thinking of the match because duran talked to ray right after the fight and told ray if he boxed hagler he would beat him.
              This statement from duran plus the former lightweight champ past his prime
              taking hagler the distance must have got ray thinking. As far as the timing of Rays fight with hagler I do believe he picked up on marvin slowing down in the mugabi fight. Marvin seemed to be tight in fights against leonard and duran but let the monster loose against hearns.

Comment

Hagler showed a visible decline in the Mugabi fight and despite everything SRL said, he came back and gave Hagler a fight.

I have little respect for SRL as a boxer.

After years of giving the Marvellous one the run around, SRL calls a press conference together and invites Hagler. Anticipating a match between the two, the audience is amazed when Leonard announces that ' he'll never fight Marvin '.

Whilst Hagler went to war in training camps, gym and the ring - Leonard was retired at home enjoying life, allowing his injury and body to recover. After going back on his word and fighting Hagler, beating him over the distance on points - it's ' Sugar ' who gets the recognition and attention and Hagler fades into obscurity.

Truth is, SRL never decided to wait on Hagler slowing down - the opportunity arose.

Comment

The best Ray Leonard could not have beaten a prime Hagler. Ray is a greater fighter than Marvin, but at their best Hagler was just too damn awesome a MIDDLEWEIGHT for Ray to handle.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                    It wasn't a plot on Ray's part. He just happened to see Hagler-Mugabi and thought Hagler was ready to be beaten by somoene with his speed and smarts. He made his intitial retirement decision just days after a primed Hagler demolished Fully Obel. He wasn't up to beating that Hagler, but was the '86-'87 version.

This makes a lot of sense and probably explains why some hagler fans are not happy with when Ray finally fought Hagler.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
                      This makes a lot of sense and probably explains why some hagler fans are not happy with when Ray finally fought Hagler.
                      Doesn't come close.

Has nothing to do with Ray's shameful ducking and diving of Hagler but the mis-leading and teasing he did. Hagler never got the recognition he deserved, fighting for $40k a fight whilst SRL made a million dollars on his debut. SRL played with the idea but never allowed Hagler to prove his worth and after publicly stating to the world and to Hagler's face that he'd never fight him - he went back on his word and reaped the rewards.

Comment

Working...
                      X