Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's say all heavyweight greats were in the same era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nomadman View Post
    For a big man I think he's closer to Wlad than the others. Good handspeed, balance, coordination etc.

You've changed your tune! What about all this NBA athleticism you kept going on about?
    closer to a great athlete than the plodders, perhaps, but nowhere near a great athlete

i've never said wilder was a good boxer. he's very talented and in time, and against the right opposition in sparring and his fights (ideally he would have remained an amateur, but you dont get paid in the amateurs,) he could become a very good boxer.
    or basketball player, soccer player, golfer, whatever he likes. it's probably too late. the kid barely knows how to fight.
    Last edited by New England; 08-04-2012, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadman View Post
      Indeed. He's very much an exception though. Fury, Dimitrenko, Helenius, Wach, Ustinov etc are all very much from the same lumbering giant mold that we've seen throughout history; and Vitali isn't exactly Mr. Fluidity either.

Price and Wilder might be in a similar category, but it's too early to tell given the limited opposition they've fought thus far.
      Did you see Tyson Fury's last fight? Nothing wrong with that guy's handspeed or his combination punching. Granted his opposition hasn't been great, but his upper body athleticism is by no means 'lumbering'.

These bigger guys are getting more athletic. One of these years someone special will come along.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
        I know this is very far-fetched but its very intriguing! If Dempsey, Johnson, Louis, Marciano, Patterson, Liston, Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Holmes, Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, & the Klits happen to be of the same era. All of them have modern training facilities and with the best trainer/managers of their careers. And every one of them are at their very best!

No ABC belts.. Who will be undisputed champ? What do you think will be the scenerio's? What fights would their corresponding managers make? Who will have who's number?? I suppose every one here will have a different take on it...

Myself... I'll have to think about this very carefully
        Aside from the Unforgiveable Blackness documentary, I actually haven't seen much of Johnson. I need to catch up on his fights.

But of all those other names listed, I think Ali in a tournament or prolonged series emerges with the best winning record. He's thought of mostly for his wars with Norton, Frazier, and Foreman. But in his prime under his real name, he was an even better fighter than that. At his peak, I think Ali is most adaptable amongst these guys in terms of being able to deal with all the different style clashes that come into this mashup. I can't see any of these guys stylistically having his number. Norton ad Frazier did to a point, but that was past his physical prime.

Purely hypothetically, the managers have no say in taking what fights they want. It's an official series where everybody would fight everybody. In terms of breaking down all the potential fight scenarios between the various names, that would take a while. But it's great to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          Did you see Tyson Fury's last fight? Nothing wrong with that guy's handspeed or his combination punching. Granted his opposition hasn't been great, but his upper body athleticism is by no means 'lumbering'.

These bigger guys are getting more athletic. One of these years someone special will come along.
          Fury's a bit better than that, I agree. I just have a hard time combining the words "Tyson Fury" and "athletic" in the same sentence together without using a negative.

We're certainly seeing a lot more superheavyweights closer to Wlad than Carnera in terms of athleticism, but guys that large who can fight and move without tripping over their own feet are still quite rare.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
            I'll put my vote in for Lennox Lewis. I was watching an Ali fight yesterday and I once again thought he didn't look like the greatest heavyweight ever. So feel like picking Lewis today.

Yeah, watching Lewis get sparked by McCall and Rahman definitely screams "GOAT" to me.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
              Yeah, watching Lewis get sparked by McCall and Rahman definitely screams "GOAT" to me.
              There is definitely a chance that he gets knocked out by someone. He wouldn't fight lazy like in those fights if he fought all the best guys though. I'm not necessarily convinced that Lewis wins. It's more that I don't think Ali would. Basically, I think there's a short list that would fare better than Ali. Ali had some really questionable fundamentals and I think it would haunt him against some of the best guys. His power and size weren't the best either.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck
                I was thinking something along the lines of repeatedly getting clipped with left hooks while your chin is waving in the air means there are holes in your game. I must not know what I'm talking about though. After all, I'm not suffering from a midlife crises or typing in lavender.
                Poets right ,you're an imbecile to think the 70's version of Ali was his prime.. You're probably basing Ali on two performances ... rumble in the jungle and the thrilla in manilla as most people that don't know **** about boxing do

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post

Indeed Furys handspeed and workrate have been impressive lately but then again Ricky Hatton looked impressive on punch bags before the Manny fight..
                  and not that Ricky isn't great I'm just pointing out Fury has been fighting punch drunk old men recently..

He looked clumsy against Chisora at some stages

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006
                    If you think Lennox is better than Ali then you need to get your head examined.....then you need to find another sport because it would be painfully obvious that boxing "ain't yo thang".

Poet
                    Your arrogance is not very amusing. It's really just a matter of opinion who's the best ever. Some have Louis #1. And some have Marciano #1. George Foreman had proclaimed Lewis the best ever after Lewis-Tyson. And he'd been in in the ring with Muhammad Ali & many other top fighters. I'm not saying Lewis is better than Ali. But, he definitely belongs up there with him. He's the only other 3 time heavyweight champ. And he had defeated every man he ever faced as a professional. Lennox had 2 off nights. Well, Ali had a few, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
                      I know this is very far-fetched but its very intriguing! If Dempsey, Johnson, Louis, Marciano, Patterson, Liston, Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Holmes, Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, & the Klits happen to be of the same era. All of them have modern training facilities and with the best trainer/managers of their careers. And every one of them are at their very best!

No ABC belts.. Who will be undisputed champ? What do you think will be the scenerio's? What fights would their corresponding managers make? Who will have who's number?? I suppose every one here will have a different take on it...

Myself... I'll have to think about this very carefully
                      First of all, this is probably what watching Boxing in heaven is like.

Now, I truly believe Ali is not only the greatest heavyweight period, but also the greatest HW head-to-head as well.

He may lose to a select few, but I believe he would come out on top in a trilogy against every one of those that beat him.

Comment

Working...
                      X