Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pernell Whitaker: Defensive fighter or Offensive fighter with great defense?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pernell Whitaker: Defensive fighter or Offensive fighter with great defense?

Would you consider Whitaker as a defense-first type of fighter or an offensive fighter with great defense?

Originally posted by Flo_Raiden View Post
    Would you consider Whitaker as a defense-first type of fighter or an offensive fighter with great defense?
    Offensive fighter with great defense he could press the action as well as counter punch had great hand speed and combos and liked to work the body it became more apparent as went to 147 and the end of his 135 days the polo Diaz fight is a great example of this

Comment

I hate the term defensive fighter because let's be real, although defense is one of the four criteria for scoring, you got to land punches to win fights (although some will tell you Pernell could win a fight without throwing a punch. lol)

If you watch some of Whitakers fights, yes he was difficult to touch, but he could also go toe to toe and trade in the pocket. A lot of his times, his ego would get the best of him and he would trade with his opponent when he shouldn't have. He took some shots against Roger Mayweather and Buddy McGirt in particular trying to go toe to toe and trade in the pocket.

But I would call Whitaker a well rounded fighter that can adjust on the run and beat you multiple ways. It's what makes him one of the greatest pound for pound fighters of all time and a member of the hall of fame.

Comment

Defensive fighter who got knocked down alotl.

Comment

He was a defensive fighter with good offense. Roberto Duran was an offensive with great defense. Maybe if Whitaker had better power it would have been different, but he couldn't fight that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Flo_Raiden View Post
            The perfect combination of both, the reason why i feel

Sweet Pea>Mayweather

Comment

Working...
            X