Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are old school fighters better than present day fighters??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
    It seems like everyone in this threat who wants to claim that modern fighters are indeed better than their older counterparts thinks that there's some magical moment in history when "Old School" became "Modernity".

Ask any of these people who would win between a Harry Greb and a Sergio Martinez, and they'll inevitably pick Martinez.

But go back 25 years, which seems to me to be an ample amount of time for training techniques, nutrition, and conditioning to develop, and lo and behold we're still talking about the "modern era". Nobody in their right minds would bet on Martinez over Hagler.

Sorry if I'm phrasing this terribly; it's 1:00 am and my newborn daughter is keeping me up.

The point I'm trying to make is that if the sport is in a constant state of advancement, then fighters from even a decade ago shouldn't be able to compete with today's fighters.
    i like to think of the modern era of boxing starting in 1867

though the thread is asking old school vs present which i think of as every boxer whos retired vs every boxer thats still fighting.
    Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 05-24-2012, 01:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
      i like to think of the modern era of boxing starting in 1867

though the thread is asking old school vs present which i think of as every boxer whos retired vs every boxer thats still fighting.
      How does that make any sense? They didn't have gloves, man.

I don't really have much to add to the thread though. The other guys did a pretty phenomenal job explaining things.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
        How does that make any sense? They didn't have gloves, man.

I don't really have much to add to the thread though. The other guys did a pretty phenomenal job explaining things.
        1867 was when queensbury rules were first published.

Comment

1867 was when queensbury rules were first published.
          Okay, but do you really consider guys like Nonpareil and John L "modern" boxers?

Comment

Okay, but do you really consider guys like Nonpareil and John L "modern" boxers?
            Didn't read the thread but what's the verdict? Are old fighters better?

(lol, as if I don't know what part of the site this was posted on)

Comment

they boxed under queensbury rules.

Comment

they boxed under queensbury rules.
                You have an odd definition of "modern." The sport they were watching in 1867 didn't look anything like 1920 (my cutoff for "modern boxing" in a loose sense), let alone 2012.

Originally posted by Jack Ruby View Post

No, they're boxers, same as today. The verdict is that they don't have an advantage over fighters of the past. That's it. Not that black and white makes everyone better. God, you are predictable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack Ruby View Post

there are fighters from every era that stand out and would stand out in any era.

Comment

You have an odd definition of "modern." The sport they were watching in 1867 didn't look anything like 1920 (my cutoff for "modern boxing" in a loose sense), let alone 2012.

No, they're boxers, same as today. The verdict is that they don't have an advantage over fighters of the past. That's it. Not that black and white makes everyone better. God, you are predictable.
                    I didn't even say anything. I was asking you to sum up the thread for me. I swear you sound like an 80 year old crotchety old bastard.

Bottom line. Fighters from the past are overrated. We've been through this 1000x times.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack Ruby View Post
                      I didn't even say anything. I was asking you to sum up the thread for me. I swear you sound like an 80 year old crotchety old bastard.

Bottom line. Fighters from the past are overrated. We've been through this 1000x times.

Look at you acting like I don't know what you meant.

Some of them are. A lot of fighters from now are overrated. But you say that blanket without really defending it other than "he fought bums!" without really defending that either.

Comment

Working...
                      X