Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much more Mayweather needs to do to be serious candidate for GOAT?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DTMB View Post
    what a ridiculous thread.

Floyd has yet to defeat a bona fide legit HOF fighter IN THEIR PRIME yet we are asking questions like this?

Just look at floyd's top wins, none of them are legit bona fide hall of famers.

The legit HOFers that floyd did beat were all past prime (odh, jmm, mosley).
    Thank you,, thank you,, I must say its not often I see someone who rates Floyd lower than I do. I have said often that I believe he is the #2 fighter of this era,,, nbut also I believ it is the poorest of all era's in the history of boxing, really it totally sucks, there are many fighters who have contributed to this situation, too many big mouths with F*** all to back their claims up. Before Floyd fought Cotto, how many months do you have to go back to find his previous fight ?..... exactly. -------------------------------------------------------------------I used to think undefeated fighters were the bee's knees, and guys like Floyd have taught me the total folly of that stance. I would see that 0 alongside the names and think golly, he must be as great as Marciano !!, now I realise there will only ever be ONE Rocky, and its the way it should be. What an undefeated record really means these days is, they have yet to meet their Joe Frazier, no wonder Mayweather gets bored during his fights.

Comment

• Originally posted by wmute View Post
      I am not really impressed by cherrypicking opponents coming off losses and/or draining them to catchweights. Pac's run above 130 did not leave me in awe at any point in time. Tim Bradley is the most dangerous opponent I have seen Pac take on since Jmm2 (with the exception of JMM3).

We do not talk about Leonard today because he starved a LHW to 168 to capture two belts at once, but because of his "real" victories.
      But dont ALL the biggest names do the same these days ?.... ever since Hearns and Leonard's later careers through to today's guys have done that, I agree its a disease that is destroying the sport, thats why I chuckle when I hear dudes callin their WBO of WBF etc.. Belts a WORLD Champs belt. And it all hit a dreadful peak of of laughability with the advent of failed Rugby League player, Anthony Mundine's boxing (career ?)...lol at him and every claim he ever made from the early days where he had the temerity to claim he was a better five-eighth than the great Brad "Freddy" Fittler (he wasn't, far from it),... Mundine only became more comical when he started boxing,, even went as far as claiming he was the greatest sportsman to ever live, he even said he was greater than Sir Don Bradman, (americans look him up)........... so I ask you this Wm, why single out Pacquiao who has titles in all weight divisions from Flyweight to Jr MW (or so we are led to believe)..... but I still have no doubt he is the pick of the bunch.......... Boxing today=total hyperbole........ we better start getting used to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
        But dont ALL the biggest names do the same these days ?.... ever since Hearns and Leonard's later careers through to today's guys have done that, I agree its a disease that is destroying the sport, thats why I chuckle when I hear dudes callin their WBO of WBF etc.. Belts a WORLD Champs belt. And it all hit a dreadful peak of of laughability with the advent of failed Rugby League player, Anthony Mundine's boxing (career ?)...lol at him and every claim he ever made from the early days where he had the temerity to claim he was a better five-eighth than the great Brad "Freddy" Fittler (he wasn't, far from it),... Mundine only became more comical when he started boxing,, even went as far as claiming he was the greatest sportsman to ever live, he even said he was greater than Sir Don Bradman, (americans look him up)........... so I ask you this Wm, why single out Pacquiao who has titles in all weight divisions from Flyweight to Jr MW (or so we are led to believe)..... but I still have no doubt he is the pick of the bunch.......... Boxing today=total hyperbole........ we better start getting used to it.
        Off the top of my head (correct me if I am wrong), last 25 years... PBF, RJ, Pea, JCC did not force any opponent to drain themselves. I simply cannot rank Pac with those names if he does not meet those same standards. And he does not. That is why I do "single him out".

Also he systematically picks people who have been destroyed/dominated less than 2 years from their fight (typically less than 1 year).

I really have a hard time understanding how people who have been in or around boxing for a long time fail to see these "details".

Let me tell you this. I met asked Freddie Roach "who is the greatest fighter you trained?? His answer: "James Toney" (Pac and entourage in the same room as we were btw).

Comment

Off the top of my head (correct me if I am wrong), last 25 years... PBF, RJ, Pea, JCC did not force any opponent to drain themselves. I simply cannot rank Pac with those names if he does not meet those same standards. And he does not. That is why I do "single him out".

Also he systematically picks people who have been destroyed/dominated less than 2 years from their fight (typically less than 1 year).

I really have a hard time understanding how people who have been in or around boxing for a long time fail to see these "details".

Let me tell you this. I met asked Freddie Roach "who is the greatest fighter you trained?? His answer: "James Toney" (Pac and entourage in the same room as we were btw).
          Chavez did have a catchweight of 145 for the Whitaker fight. And while Floyd agreed to a catchweight of 144 to lure JMM to fight him, he made no effort to make that weight.

And Pacquaio's next opponent is unbeaten and in his prime.

Comment

• Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
            Thank you,, thank you,, I must say its not often I see someone who rates Floyd lower than I do. I have said often that I believe he is the #2 fighter of this era,,, nbut also I believ it is the poorest of all era's in the history of boxing, really it totally sucks, there are many fighters who have contributed to this situation, too many big mouths with F*** all to back their claims up. Before Floyd fought Cotto, how many months do you have to go back to find his previous fight ?..... exactly. -------------------------------------------------------------------I used to think undefeated fighters were the bee's knees, and guys like Floyd have taught me the total folly of that stance. I would see that 0 alongside the names and think golly, he must be as great as Marciano !!, now I realise there will only ever be ONE Rocky, and its the way it should be. What an undefeated record really means these days is, they have yet to meet their Joe Frazier, no wonder Mayweather gets bored during his fights.

"show me a undefeated fighter and ill show you somebody who hasnt really fought anybody"

-Whitey Bimstein

If you look at almost every single true legendary boxer in the IBHOF, none are really undefeated.

If you look at the undefeated ones (ricardo lopez, joe calzaghe, marciano) you will see that there reasons why they stayed that way.

-Marciano should have had a loss to walcott with his grotesque cut but they allowed him to continue in order to reserve his unbeaten record not to mention the mafia involvement around that time period.

-Calzaghe, well i like to call this guy the white floyd. For his entire career calzaghe hid out at 168 while roy and bernard during their prime was a division below and above him. fought them when they were in their 40s and has ZERO WINS VS PRIME HOF opposition.

-Lopez, never moved up to face better competition like carbajal & chiqiuta gonzalez. whether that was beristain or him i dunno.

UNDEFATED RECORDS = SUSPICIOUSNESS

Comment

"show me a undefeated fighter and ill show you somebody who hasnt really fought anybody"

-Whitey Bimstein

If you look at almost every single true legendary boxer in the IBHOF, none are really undefeated.

If you look at the undefeated ones (ricardo lopez, joe calzaghe, marciano) you will see that there reasons why they stayed that way.

-Marciano should have had a loss to walcott with his grotesque cut but they allowed him to continue in order to reserve his unbeaten record not to mention the mafia involvement around that time period.

-Calzaghe, well i like to call this guy the white floyd. For his entire career calzaghe hid out at 168 while roy and bernard during their prime was a division below and above him. fought them when they were in their 40s and has ZERO WINS VS PRIME HOF opposition.

-Lopez, never moved up to face better competition like carbajal & chiqiuta gonzalez. whether that was beristain or him i dunno.

in floyd's case what suspicious about it?

Comment

so what are you saying james toney is greater than pacquiao?

ray leonard and tommy hearns had catchweights. so did bernard hopkins. toney is the better skilled and more natural boxer than in comparison to pac but pac has the resume.

you old school farts love to spout off about resume and defend old school fighters in order to degrade modern fighters yet when it comes to actually using your criteria of resume > skill and talent you forget about that in this instance pac who is clearly the higher ranked fighter than toney.

& didnt chavez sr use a catch weight against pernell?

another double standard exposed.
                Last edited by The Tase; 05-12-2012, 01:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
                  in floyd's case what suspicious about it?
                  that he has yet to face a legit HALL OF FAMER in their prime.

Comment

-Whitey Bimstein

another thing about calzaghe, when his division started getting great competition (super six boxers) he conveniently retires. Just like floyd after the hatton fight when 147 was the hottest and deepest division in all of boxing.

Comment

that he has yet to face a legit HALL OF FAMER in their prime.
                      I'll assume for now you are a reasonable and fair poster.

How can you hold it against floyd that ODH,SHane, cotto and Manny (each for their own reasons) all refused to fight Floyd when they were prime?

Comment

Working...
                      X