Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Roy Jones deserve to be considered an elite ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why did it take jones and hopkins so long to have a rematch?

Comment

• Originally posted by MrRolltide91 View Post
      why did it take jones and hopkins so long to have a rematch?
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJbOw...4D184B99535735

Comment

• Originally posted by Hopkins
        when Roy was hitting his peak as a boxer at 168

both Benn and Eubank were almost done, I say this because a lot of Brits claim Roy ducked both Benn and Eubank at 168.

If Lewis did not fight Vitali and they were the SAME ERA, that's a duck

(aka bowe ducking lewis)

but Lewis was clearly retiring and much much older, So it was no duck when he retired after Vitali, it was his time anyways.

That being said , it sort of did not make sense since with the RJJ and Benn Eubank situation it's the polar opposite of Lewis vITALI.

Since RJJ was the up and coming superstar and both Nigel and Chris were on the decline and of the past.

Obviously RJJ would have beaten both since both were way past their primes. But sort of confused as to why he didn't attempt to add those two mega names to his resume
        Not to state the obvious, but of course it was no 'duck'. They actually fought and Lewis stopped him. That=Lewis W TKO 6 Klitschko. You can't duck a guy you have beaten by a 6th round TKO.
        Last edited by BennyST; 04-24-2012, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wmute View Post
          Nope.

1) first and foremost Lineal title >>> Alphabet soup.

Can you blame DM for the fight not happening? Not more than you can blame Roy.
          The linneal title gets overrated at times, yeah I said it.

The linneal champion isn't always the best fighter in the division, and shouldn't always be the first pick... it may be the rule but there's plenty of exceptions.

Toney wasn't the Linneal champion when Roy fought him, but he was definitely the best fighter in the division and it was definitely the fight to make for Roy.

Comment

• Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post

The linneal champion isn't always the best fighter in the division, and shouldn't always be the first pick... it may be the rule but there's plenty of exceptions.

Toney wasn't the Linneal champion when Roy fought him, but he was definitely the best fighter in the division and it was definitely the fight to make for Roy.
            Reed my man, I can definitely agree with that, but... do we really want to get in the details of the "trajectories" of those other belts? I do not think it helps your case, and it is boring too

WBC almost went bankrupt because of the rocchigianni lawsuit (seeing what they are doing now, it would have been great for them to vanish)

Comment

• so it was the purse split

Comment

• Originally posted by MrRolltide91 View Post
                so it was the purse split
                I would say ego

Comment

• 60/40 and I'll kick your a$$. Classic. Roy was just like Floyd when it came to the idea of anyone making more money than them.

Comment

• Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post

I love lineage and even I can agree with this. Lineage is the best way to track champions, but not always the most truthful about who was the best at a given time. It's a valuable tool when someone does what a REAL world champ should, fights the top guys, and defends the title with meaning.

If a fighter can get a crack at the lineal crown, cool. It's why I had no beef with Baldo-May. It's what comes after that counts. Do you validate your place as champion or not. Roy didn't bother after Toney, facing his worst overall run of championship foes between Toney and McCallum.

Given the argument here, neither Roy nor DM ever validated their place against each other at Light Heavyweight, though Roy's opp was overall tougher. In 2000, it mattered as they were both still. After that, DM's slide made the question far less relevant.

All that said...of course Roy belongs in any discussion of the elites. There were pockets of suck, but also a slew of quality foes and jaw dropping performances. He's still getting grief for not catching Robinson.

But how many guys are catching Roy?

Comment

• Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                      Roy didn't bother after Toney, facing his worst overall run of championship foes between Toney and McCallum.
                      I think its funny that people base the mythical "Roy fought weak competition" theory on a 2 year period. And what is even funnier is 2 of Roy's most impressive performances actually came during that period, stopping 2 stone cold iron chinned fighters, Tony Thorton and Merqui Sosa in 3 rounds or less. But like always people just pass them off as bums.

Comment

Working...
                      X