Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The greatest figure in the history of the sport?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't Ali basically universally considered the most recognizable figure in all of history? A lot of his fame definitely comes from the times he was in, the technological advances, media coverage, etc.

I'd be so bold as to say when the majority of people worldwide think about boxing, Ali comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by raf727 View Post
      Isn't Ali basically universally considered the most recognizable figure in all of history? A lot of his fame definitely comes from the times he was in, the technological advances, media coverage, etc.

I'd be so bold as to say when the majority of people worldwide think about boxing, Ali comes to mind.

We ve also got to remember that since Ali there has been three decades of improved worldwide satelite coverage, the internet, social media, HD.........

And yet, in those three decades no one else has come close to Ali's level of fame (whether it be a sports person/musician/singer/political leader/actor). Tyson has certainly had a fair share as a boxer (some for the wrong reasons), but he is the only boxer that really jumps to mind since Ali.

If this doesn't highlight how special and unique Ali was/is then I don't know what does. Ali is an icon, probably as much as Charlie Chaplin, Elvis Presley, Marylin Monroe or James Dean.

Comment

Mia St John may have had the greatest figure in the history of the sport. If you don't mind the fake boobs, of course.

Comment

I cant put anyone including Tyson before Ali, EVERYONE knows him even now and his life is the stuff of legend. Such an influential man

Comment

John L. for his part in the bravato of the sport was world reknown at a time when the media and the "world" was very small by todays standard.
            Jack Johnson for the political and social ramifications that he caused, world wide.
            Jack Dempsey for bringing the brutality of the sport in line with the science and being the first most widely accepted sports hero in modern history.
            Joe Louis for the very obvious reasons that surrounded Joes very well known life. (Plus the best HW ever)
            Ali, known for his speed of foot and hands and coming through with his perdictions time after time. He was a social activist and human dignity was a fight he began to undertake once his boxing career was over. The most popular "Face" in the world at one time and possibly still.

For me its Joe Louis for his race (the Black & Human one) at a time when the world was in deep jepardy he lifted the spirits of people and gave a tremendous boost when times were very desperate. Tremendous fighter. Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
              Mia St John may have had the greatest figure in the history of the sport. If you don't mind the fake boobs, of course.
              Great figure **** boxing skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
                Interesting suggestion, do you have any anecdotes?
                I think most people missed the point you were trying to get at.

Apologies for the lazy copy/paste job, I'm at work and trawling boxing sites is not a good look.

In recent decades, Sullivan has faded from memory. To many, he’s now more myth than reality, a sporting Paul Bunyan. In a way, that’s fitting because, in his era, Sullivan was a near-mythic figure as large as Babe Ruth, Joe Louis, and Muhammad Ali were in their prime. He was America’s first mass-culture hero and the most idolized athlete who had lived up until his time.

http://www.secondsout.com/columns/th...visited-part-1

http://www.secondsout.com/columns/th...visited-part-2

http://www.secondsout.com/columns/th...visited-part-3

Comment

Originally posted by Young Money View Post
                  I think most people missed the point you were trying to get at.

Apologies for the lazy copy/paste job, I'm at work and trawling boxing sites is not a good look.

In recent decades, Sullivan has faded from memory. To many, he’s now more myth than reality, a sporting Paul Bunyan. In a way, that’s fitting because, in his era, Sullivan was a near-mythic figure as large as Babe Ruth, Joe Louis, and Muhammad Ali were in their prime. He was America’s first mass-culture hero and the most idolized athlete who had lived up until his time.

http://www.secondsout.com/columns/th...visited-part-1

http://www.secondsout.com/columns/th...visited-part-2

http://www.secondsout.com/columns/th...visited-part-3
                  Good man! I had no idea Sullivan was regarded like that

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
                    Johnson's fights could tear a a country apart, Dempsey bought boxing back into the mainstream, people would go out in the streets and celebrate a Louis victory or cry over a loss, Tyson had everyone interested in boxing again.

I was watching the last part of Reznick's Top 20 Heavyweights (hell of a video, even if I have a few issues with his rankings, give the Ali part a look at the very least) and I got to thinking.

Ali's story in boxing has become a fairytale, seriously, think about it. A brash loud-mouthed young challenger who to plenty of people's despair, proves himself time and time again by clearing out the division in impressive style, outside powers put a stop to his run. Later he comes back to fight everyone who was anyone again (beating everyone of note up until Holmes) with some of the most memorable fights of all time (Frazier I and III, Foreman) and sadly sticking around far too long.

Is there any boxing footage more memorable than the combination that finishes off Foreman?

This isn't a thread about whether Ali was a good person, or whether he was overrated, whether he got gift decisions, or whether Joe Louis deserves the #1 spot on the video *cough* There are other threads for that

What I'm wonder is does anyone think anyone transcends boxing like Ali did? Does anyone come close?

(I'm going to physically shoot the first person to say Pacquiao, I swear, I'll do it)
                    As time goes on people forget about guys like Dempsey and Johnson, and that isn't good.

Right now it has to be Ali though. I just think him, Dempsey and Louis etc. are kind of equal in the grand scheme of things

Comment

Iron Mike Tyson

Comment

Working...
                      X